How much does an E-commerce website cost

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Tangerine, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,868 441
    Well I don't know what you mean by rubbish, but I think you have misunderstood an earlier post :)

The post with 'the position name :' is meant to be read as if that role is saying it.

It is about where the time goes, and it varies depending upon who is talking :)

OpenSource CARTS (<-- note not open source operating systems or development tools) are perhaps the least secure, then come off the shelf carts, because again you can get at the source or disassemble it and they have many installs.

Bespoke done well is the most secure in this way, but done badly sure you can fuzz stuff out but that tends to trip IDS.

Many eyes argument, have you looked at source code and identified security problems and then sent them up stream? Many eyes argument got blown out with OpenSSL in Debian, and that is something you would expect to get more attention.

Crackers look at source code, because they can use those vulnerabilities, same with pen testers but neither send upstream to get it fixed because their revenue stream is based on it. In fact some security researchers have been muzzled for their efforts of talking about specific compromises.

2K I think is too low, you might get it done on a favour, and then perhaps just to test the waters with a site with the items, basic layout and all content supplied by client, but not the account, basket and payment gateway integration functionality. You will need more in the kitty to go forward and should budget for that.

It sounds like you have had some problems with agencies, and yeah sure they are not set up for the smaller player, they are there for the big player and corps. Though corps often hirer smaller developers, tends to be for close relationship, lot have moved their IT systems inhouse, and prefer control over the development cycle and code base.

A lot of the agencies also use software developers, so yeah if you can get to the people then you don't pay middle man fees.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Posted: May 20, 2009 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  2. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

465 112
    OK - security....I'm not going to disagree with your points, but they are irrelevant!

Again...shopify...you can't edit the code - either it is secure enough for a small business to get online or it isn't.

If it is, then you have the account basket and payment gateway integration already done. And if you wait a month, yours truly will be delivering tight integration between Shopify and KashFlow.

Shameless plug: www.carrytheone.co.uk

That's all for a monthly cost plus commission - and you haven't even touched your £2K capital yet. I really don't think you need to spend more than half of it on design and templating - but if you've got the budget, go to town and get it looking amazing.

I've always said that the £2K is for getting the site up and running....spend extra on marketing, high quality photography, decent copy....although I bet the original budget will cover most of that if the needs are modest.

When the site is doing £100K a year or more, then go for a great bespoke utterly secure development if you want/ need to.

Posted: May 20, 2009 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  3. FireFleur

1,868 441
    Irrelevant you say, there is one poster on here a few days back two years work down the drain, not sure he would think it is irrelevant.

And again on this forum, someone was showing off the security problems of a competitor and they withdrew from that market.

Oh WhiskyFive you have got the salesman bug in you, you cannot just make the world be according to you and how you think it should be :)

4. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

465 112
    Sir, it is an honour to be patronised by one such as yourself!

Posted: May 20, 2009 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  5. FireFleur

1,868 441
    Oh that is not patronising :)

Claiming irrelevance is close though.

As I say I think you are low balling, and I think you are doing it because of agencies in the past, they could have tucked you over.

But read what I have written, and you will see I show ways round that.

Going from one extreme to the other doesn't work that well, what you will do is encourage the cutting of corners, you need to find a fair price for the site and that is based on the time it would take to create that site. Good developers use rapid application development technique and languages, but if you cut it to the bone, they will just hit spec and nothing more.

6. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    And I will stand by my cost of £1200 for a standard commerce website including SEO, design and consultancy. That is what we charge folks and all of our clients are very happy with what we do for them.

OK, it is based on open source solutions but we have yet to have a serious problem with security on any of them. I keep hearing people rattling on about security and OS but the facts surely prove that (relative to the number of users) OS solutions are as secure as any other?

Added: I should perhaps say that most of our clients are mom and pop businesses and people dipping their toes in the water.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Posted: May 20, 2009 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  7. Danny Bluestone

Danny Bluestone UKBF Contributor Free Member

56 1
    If you would like a quote for a website developed by an award winning digital agency go to www.cyber-duck.co.uk.

In regards to your question as mentioned above it really does depend on your business plan and what you want to achieve, amount of pages, detail etc.

We can work within your budget but depending on how much you want to spend will limit or extend the functionalities of your site. All our sites are of the highest quality whether they are preoduced for £2000 - £30000 but what you get within the websites (backend) would vary!

Hope this answers your question!

Posted: May 20, 2009 By: Danny Bluestone Member since: Sep 2, 2006
  8. newsh1

newsh1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

70 11
    It depends on what you want out of the web site. As a guide our new web site www.cloudsuk.com cost £6k for design, £2k for the images whilst the video tours were done in house. Hope this gives you an idea of what you can expect for your money.

Posted: May 20, 2009 By: newsh1 Member since: Apr 24, 2009
  9. Interconnect IT

Interconnect IT UKBF Ace Free Member

1,244 195
    It also depends a lot on your risk profile.

Some online businesses are trading millions - a day of downtime or problems with cart abandonment can cost them dearly. We're about to implement a solution for a client who wants paid for downloads and a key problem with their current site is people 'losing the will to live' before they pay. So we want to make it quick and easy for people to buy. Very quick.

The attention to detail to make a site a success can be incredible - and very expensive, but if you're running a big business it's worthwhile. If you're running a hobby or something exclusive, then it's less of an issue.

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: Interconnect IT Member since: Nov 15, 2007
  10. edmondscommerce

edmondscommerce Magento + PHP Expert Full Member - Verified Business

3,654 624
    agree totally with this...

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
  11. cmcp

cmcp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,337 856
    I've noticed FireFleur comes across as though he's talking at you sometimes, but I've also noticed that everything he says is 100% correct.

WhiskyFive to disregard security as you are in this thread is worrying. How can you dismiss security as irrelevant. The point is simple - open source softwares are magnets for attacks and need to be understood and controlled as such.

If you're a provider you have to be at least aware of this. Security doesn't just kick in at £x turnover, security at the lowest level is protecting your database of opt in information.

A fair point is made about risk. I know in the real world small fish can slip through the net, but you've gotta be aware of the situation.

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: cmcp Member since: Jun 25, 2007
  12. barginboyrob

barginboyrob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

185 17
    Mine cost £300 and it does the job

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: barginboyrob Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  13. Martin P

Martin P UKBF Newcomer Free Member

343 80

In the words of Dr Evil..."one hundred billion dollars";)

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: Martin P Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  14. sm1

sm1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,508 505
    Sounds about right for the amount of work you've had done on your site :p;):D

Posted: May 21, 2009 By: sm1 Member since: Oct 19, 2007
  15. Tangerine

Tangerine UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 0
    Thanks Whisky Five. Do you know any companies?

Posted: May 22, 2009 By: Tangerine Member since: Nov 1, 2008
  16. Tangerine

Tangerine UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 0
    WOW!! thanks everyone, I've learnt so much from this healthy debate. I love Business forums.

Posted: May 22, 2009 By: Tangerine Member since: Nov 1, 2008
  17. edmondscommerce

edmondscommerce Magento + PHP Expert Full Member - Verified Business

3,654 624
    :) another satisfied customer

would be interesting to see what you end up going for and if it you are happy with the end result

Posted: May 22, 2009 By: edmondscommerce Member since: Nov 11, 2008
  18. david64

david64 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,053 458
    £9500 would be enough for a good one so long as you find the ring provider. I can refer you to a high quality independent provider who will be cheaper than an agency. PM me if you would like their details.

Don't expect much for £2,500. Also remember you are probably going to need a promotion budget as well, which ideally should be at least twice as much as the cost of your site.

If you only have a small budget, I'd seriously consider whether it is worth the risk. Many eCommerce sites do not pay for themselves.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Posted: May 22, 2009 By: david64 Member since: Mar 17, 2009
  19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    We'll do two sites for this. :)

Posted: May 22, 2009 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  20. Interconnect IT

Interconnect IT UKBF Ace Free Member

1,244 195
    Just wondering about hosting, support and management costs - what do you charge for that? Training? Presumably these are extras rather than included in the original price?

Posted: May 22, 2009 By: Interconnect IT Member since: Nov 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.