How much damage am I doing my business with a serviced office address?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by columbo, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    How much damage am I doing to my business with a serviced office address?

It is my philosophy that a business is only as good as it's customer base. I am not ashamed to say that as a business owner I want high-quality, loyal and decent customers to use my services.

But, the main address of my business is a serviced office and I just don't know how much damage this is doing. I continually ask myself how many of these high-quality customers am I losing when they see it is a "virtual office" or serviced office address. (Google can tell them within seconds).

I would really like to hear your opinion on this?

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,109 1,123
    It completely depends on your business type and your marketing strategy.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. columbo

332 72
    We're in IT services (niche area of IT services). Our marketing strategy depends on marketing to SME's, medium-sized business, multi-nationals and government bodies.

4. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,758 2,682
    Is it a serviced office or a virtual office?

They are very different.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  5. AllUpHere

3,109 1,123
    From sme's to multi nationals is far too wide a target market for anyone to give you any meaningful advice.

6. columbo

332 72
    Its s a virtual office Scott.

Or market might seem very wide but it is a well-defined niche.

7. AllUpHere

3,109 1,123
    I'm sure it is, but with the info we have we have no way of answering your question.

8. SamLH

SamLH UKBF Regular Free Member

166 17
    You need to be able to define your customer as well, words like high quality and decent don't mean anything.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: SamLH Member since: Jun 3, 2016
  9. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,882 2,210
    Why do you feel the need for a virtual office

Myself I often look at visuals on google maps to see the address given to judge the sixe of the building

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  10. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,758 2,682
    Can they tell it's only a virtual office?

I know of virtual offices in large business complexes where the addresses are no different, so it's impossible to tell unless someone visits.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  11. columbo

332 72
    Well if you Google this address about 50 business names appear. Its only one 3 story block so yeah its pretty obvious.

12. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,251 9,172
    My wife is risk manager and the address is considered as part of the analysis. I'm sure the FD of many companies will do their checks as well. If you have the 'wrong' address it will count against you.

A mate of mine runs his business from a shed in the garden and has a 7 figure turnover. It hasn't done him any harm, in fact many like it because of the address (the first line of which is 'The Shed'). The key point is it's a real address. A virtual address just doesn't feel right in many cases. Is there a reason why you don't use your home address?

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. SDLBiz

SDLBiz UKBF Contributor Free Member

97 9
    I was thinking of using a virtual office until I can afford to rent one.

I'm planning on starting up an e-commerce business and as there are young children in the house, I don't feel very safe using my home address in case a customer has a negative experience and turns out to be a nutcase and wants to hunt me down... just my two cents.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 By: SDLBiz Member since: Nov 18, 2014
  14. fisicx

31,251 9,172
    Nutters will not turn up at your house. Use your home address and make big play about the home business in your 'about us' page. Tell a story and even include a picture of you with the children. This sort of thing builds trust and may influence wavering visitors.

15. fisicx

31,251 9,172
    So, do you know anyone who has an irate customer turn up on their doorstep?

And even using a virtual address won't protect you as it's very easy to get the home address of anyone.

16. Chris Ashdown

10,882 2,210
    Why do you see the aggrieved customer, what do you want to sell that if you get problems, you cannot resolve it, to both sides satisfaction, since 2003 I have never had a bad customer visit my home or shop, any problems have been sorted out well before anything grew that bad anyone would want to visit

With your thoughts you would never leave the house yet alone let your kids walk alone anywhere, remember the news you hear are minute incidents out of nearly 70 million people, so keep things in proportion and really evaluate the risk in real terms

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  17. fisicx

31,251 9,172
    No, I take the experience of everyone on UKBF and every other website. blog and forum and realize that nobody has ever experienced an issue with using their home address as a business address.

Can you find me a story about anyone being harassed in the UK by a customer because they put their home address on their website.

18. Chris Ashdown

10,882 2,210
    Euro fan
    What's the trouble, the OP's question has been answered and you seem to want to fight peoples experience

I would hazard a guess that the incidents you are talking about have good reason to follow up their anger with dealers who are not acting in a honest trader situation , but without knowing the facts I could well be wrong

There are always rouge traders who bring out the worst in their customers, we were assuming the OP was operating a legitimate business and happy to work out any problems in a business manner, just like by far the majority of company owners

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  19. SDLBiz

SDLBiz UKBF Contributor Free Member

97 9
    I only raised the point because I don't want my family mixed with business conflicts, even though I aim to operate a legitimate business focused around excellent customer service. There is a first for everything and if you see the area I live in, it doesn't even need to be a customer, it can be someone with an extreme dislike towards me who can publicly access my home address etc.

In fact, it could be as simple as someone coming round my house trying to sell me something, not dangerous but a huge nuisance for the family.

I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about but I want to eliminate as many risks as possible and with recent personal experience involving family members and another business, you would understand why I am concerned.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 By: SDLBiz Member since: Nov 18, 2014
  20. Samaksh

Samaksh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 2
    Looking into serviced office can often be very beneficial as the flexibility it allows for expanding and shrinking is very useful, with specific space being available to match your requirements. Thus, reducing empty wasted square footage.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 By: Samaksh Member since: Sep 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.