How is our website looking please?

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by samuel5, Jan 31, 2018.

1. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

224 14
    Hi all,

Would really appreciate some feedback on our website at auraglow.co.uk please.

Any changes or things you don’t like with the design and layout?

All comments and suggestions welcome good or bad!

Thanks

Sam

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,908 8,541
    The only reason anyone will be on the site is because they want to buy your products. If they are on the site for any other reason then you job is to get them to buy your products.

The homepage has this huuuuge video at the that serves no real purpose. So that can go.

Beneath this a 'featured products'. I've never understood why sites do this as there is never any reason given as to why they are featured. Replace this with your product categories

On the product pages you have multi-buy discounts. I thought these were buttons but they aren't. When I change the number of items there is nothing on the screen to show me how much I will have to pay.

You have a number of very similar products. Try creating a page with all your GU10 bulbs as variants. This way someone searching for GU10 lights can choose the one they want.

On a small screen (I was looking on my phone while waiting for the kettle to boil) the homepage just doesn't work well at all. The main reason being the featured images (again) and invisible menu. I can even see the product range without touching things.

The onepage checkout looks ok but the address ordering is wrong, post code normally goes at the end unless you have an address lookup function. And just have one field for my name - one less thing to fill in. On the right you have subtotal then VAT then grand total. It looks wrong.

In general though the site is OK. The wife likes the colour changing bulbs, she just doesn't know which one to buy. I thought the illuminated toilet was..... interesting.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. samuel5

224 14
    Hi Fisicx,

Thank you very much for your detailed review!

The video is out of date now as many of the products are now discontinued so we should just scrap it.

I like the featured products because returning visitors get to see new items.
    Although I suppose we could just have a New catergory.

Interesting about the multi buy discounts - they do look like buttons thinking about it!
    We could make them clickable buttons that would add the set quantity to cart at the multi buy price. But if we have buy 4+ for £3 each and 8+ for £2.60 each if someone wants 5 then they would only be restricted to 4 or 8 with the button option.

Thanks again

Sam

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  4. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,587 405
    Actually this is one of the better sites that I have seen being reviewed here.

It looks good. Lots of white and bright colours which is apt for a lighting company. The logo is great as well.

I was a little bit confused by the way that VAT was handled on the site. An example is
    Sub total £59.97
    VAT £10.00
    Grand total £59.97

PS. One little niggling thing. At the bottom of the home page there is the heading "Popular news from Auraglow". I would leave out the "popular", or have "latest news from Auraglow" instead.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  5. samuel5

224 14
    Thank you for your comments Gecko, will defo make the VAT element more clearer as both you and fisicx have said the same thing now.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  6. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,885 1,619
    Looks good, couldn't find much to improve that hasn't been said.

In the header although the phone number is the same size font, optically it looks smaller, no reason why the phone number couldn't be bigger - I would try 13px.

On the checkout page you default to opt in for the newsletter, technically that is a bit naughty, the default should be opted out. As customers become more wary by ignoring this rule you lose a bit of trust.

"Opt-in boxes are boxes where a tick indicates that the person agrees to receiving the specified marketing. Best practice is to provide an unticked opt-in box, and invite the person to confirm their agreement by ticking. This is the safest way of demonstrating consent, as it requires a positive choice by the individual to give clear and explicit consent. " current ICO advice

and GDPR coming your way soon

Recital 25: "Silence, pre-ticked boxes or inactivity should therefore not constitute consent."

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  7. samuel5

224 14
    Hi Alan

That is a good point thank you, I will also get that changed so the newsletter is unchecked by default.

Thanks again

Sam

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  8. websitehelper

websitehelper UKBF Newcomer Full Member

21 5
    Looks good, clean and easy to navigate.

As mentioned above, I also don't see how the video will add any value to the website, it will most likely be ignored - you are better off with a banner promoting a product or an offer John Lewis do this well, I see they stock your products. I would move the categories above featured products and maybe replace featured with best sellers.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: websitehelper Member since: Mar 19, 2018
  9. Caledonian TV

Caledonian TV UKBF Regular Free Member

252 100
    ...The video actually doesn't even play properly on our 'front office' machine.

We generally advise AGAINST using Vimeo as it very-often fails to play on mid-lower-end machines, and you cannot assume your viewers will be using newer PCs nor indeed the higher-end machines that anyone working in video or graphics use... Nor indeed can you assume viewers will have the connection speed! - Here, just outside Edinburgh, if you're no on fibre you'll struggle to get an 0.5M connection - I kid you not!

We keep an old CF-18 toughbook in the office for testing; if an embedded video plays on that it'll generally play on anything anyone's likely to be using.

Sadly, we normally advise people to just use YouTube (I know!) and set the relevant links at the end to '0' - a lot of people are strangely unaware that you can even do that; I've no idea why!

We also suggest that autoplay is a really really bad idea... As it is, you're sucking down their bandwidth. Playing it in a large frame is a bad idea too - again, it lessens the chance of of viewers actually being able to watch it.

If you're going to include a video at all - and even I wouldn't suggest it's a 'must have' it should be something structured and relevant to the website that actually adds value and says something beyond what you can say with text and stills (not an 'exhibition wall piece') and really it should be something the viewer opts-in to seeing...

As others have said, it would be better replaced with a banner, and probably quite soon!

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: Caledonian TV Member since: Mar 8, 2018
  10. samuel5

224 14
    Hi all

We have made the changes suggested here, how do you think ti looks now please?

Do you think any other changes are required?

Thank you!

Sam

Posted: May 1, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  11. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,587 405
    The "net total" heading in the table on the checkout page should be "sum total". You use "net total" at the bottom of the table to refer something different.

Making it clearer on the other pages that prices refer to VAT inclusive prices should be considered if you expect a lot of B2B sales as business buyers might assume that the quoted prices are VAT exclusive.

Posted: May 1, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  12. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Full Member

2,824 642
    The site is looking good.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a few things JUMPED at me :)

I spent like 2 minutes on the site so you might want to have your staff try to pick out errors etc. The more errors you clean up the better for your credibility :)

1. Why have a T: next to the phone number when you have a phone Icon? It looks odd.
    2. Your terms and conditions should go under your legal section with your privacy Policy. No idea why your sitemap is under that heading. It looks odd.
    3. On your sales page you ask me to SING up for your newsletter. I only ever sing up for my super.

I'm just being picky like I said.

Posted: May 2, 2018 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  13. samuel5

224 14
    Thank you for your time, I will get these changes looked into ASAP.

@simon - I cannot see anywhere where it states SING UP?

Thanks again

Posted: May 2, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  14. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Full Member

2,824 642
    You're just not looking hard enough. Now I could just tell you that and leave it at that but this morning I have several IT disasters to deal with and am in need of some good karma so here you are on a plate with a ribbon.

https://www.auraglow.co.uk/sale-auraglow

We have some fantastic offers that change on a regular basis in this section. Keep checking back to find the latest deals or sing up for our newsletter to get more information.

Posted: May 3, 2018 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  15. James Rae

James Rae UKBF Regular Full Member

134 24
    I can see sing up @Simon-M ... and I don't have 20:20 vision :)

Posted: May 11, 2018 By: James Rae Member since: Mar 31, 2018
  16. samuel5

224 14
    Thank you for pointing this out, no more singing!

Posted: May 29, 2018 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010