How I dislike the Olympics.

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    The country has gone Olympics mad, and this is likely to get worse before it gets better. A sports meeting that is supposed to find the best individual in the world at their particular sport has no place for medals tables listed under national teams, no place for corporate sponsorship to finance it, no place for the fiasco of cities spending millions of pounds making unsuccessful bids to stage them.

It makes me realise how others must feel when I impose such things as Euro 2012 on them, but at least football tournaments make no bones about being a commercial enterprise.

Barrie

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    Perhaps it's just because the games are in the UK, but I've never known such a feeding frenzy of corperate bandwaggoning - just about every product on the supermarket shelves is claiming some kind of olympic connection.

Biggest irony is that McDonalds / Cadbury's / Coke are the biggest sponsors. Very odd indeed.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  3. josor

josor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

970 252
    Every advert seems to be one with an Olympian or a partner of the olympics, P&G come to mind last night

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: josor Member since: Jul 24, 2010
  4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    "The country has gone Olympics mad"
    Not in this house it ain't.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  5. RCHumphrey

RCHumphrey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: RCHumphrey Member since: Jul 15, 2012
  6. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    "Corporate bandwagonning"?
    This is a bad thing on a business forum?

Oops it's UKBF and it should read " ethical, sustainable, social, renewable, not-for-profit, diverse, progressive, collective bandwaggoning"

Or not.:)

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  7. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    I'm not liking this whole trademark nonsense. Aren't they sending inspectors out to remove any mention of the words summer, 2012, olympics, #winning, medals etc from your advertising? Are you even allowed to have a summer sale?

Its all fine having sponsors but they're stepping outside of their territory and punishing retailers again, plus the fact i don't know if there are any British sponsors. The beer is supplied by Heineken and the food by McDonalds so this isn't the London Olympics at all, its a corporate knees up.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Consistency

Consistency Banned

8,214 1,545
    Can't stand the olmpics, can't stand football.

I like Mcdonalds though even though I probably shouldn't.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Consistency Member since: May 21, 2010
  9. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    There is a good article in this week's Speccie by Nick Cohen about the disgrace of it: How the Olympics won London rather than how London won the Olympics.
    Now for a Neineken.:)

10. Team Leith Training

Team Leith Training UKBF Newcomer

1,460 265
    I guess its a feel-good feeling,

Shame it could not have been combined with a win at Euro 2012 or Wimbledon.

I agree tho, having being bullied at school for not kicking a ball straight, or having the hero worship of school bullies rammed down my throat from a young age because they won some obsure cup and being told what a great achievement it is kind of poisoned me a little towards sport.
    The added hate of being made to feel a tramp for not wearing the latest adidas or puma trainers further fueled my disdain for sport.

As a time when the Higgs Boson particle has been discovered and seems partially overshadowed by sport further adds to my disdain for the event.
    I just believe there are more worthy people who desearve the praise and support of the people that sports people. And no, i am not referring to our boys on the frontline.

I agree with everyone else when they say the one event i am looking forward to is the closing event.
    If they put these games to a referendum, who would want them?

Thanks HEAVENS we are NOT hosting the world cup.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Team Leith Training Member since: May 8, 2011
  11. terryuk

terryuk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,760 310
    I might go for a run with an Olympic cape on. A Mc Donalds in my mouth, chocolate bar in my pocket and a can of coke :rolleyes: Very healthy promotion

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: terryuk Member since: Jan 26, 2007
  12. loubycee

loubycee UKBF Ace Free Member

2,801 405

ha ha, I'm 'loving it' M

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: loubycee Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  13. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper UKBF Ace Free Member

1,561 348
    You stand people who dedicate their life to reaching the pinnacle of human performance? You're hard to please!

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper Member since: Sep 14, 2009
  14. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    My local news has just been reporting that several German Torch Bearers have been jogging along with the thing today.
    It has been suggested that they work for BMW,who just happen to be one of the main sponsors of this fiasco.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  15. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    I'm all for sponsorshi[, promotion and advertising - in context and in an appropriate and suitable form.

But a sports event being sponsored by junk food manufacturers is questionable.

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  16. Nuno

4,783 1,607
    Rather a good idea put like that, the junk food bit. If all the competitors were allowed nothing but Macs it would be down to innate talent and ability who could jump furthest in the sandpit.

17. terryuk

terryuk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,760 310
    Even worse they could turn out to look like this

[​IMG]

Nice dress though ;)

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 By: terryuk Member since: Jan 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.