Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by Adzooma

How effective is leaflet distribution?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Honey Blinds, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Honey Blinds

Honey Blinds UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 3
    I have a new business (Window Blinds)
    I would like opinions about the effectiveness of leaflet distribution.
    I am aware of the statistics , one percent - two percent returns.
    While I appreciate it depends exactly what you are offering, quality of the leaflets and so on, but given the vast amount of variables, what do members think about this form of getting the word out?

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: Honey Blinds Member since: Jan 10, 2018
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,416 843
    As with all things marketing, the results are very much dependant not on what you do, but how you do it. Leaflets would work, but only if done well as part of a proper strategic marketing plan. Just get some leaflets knocked up by a graphic designer with no prior planning and you may as well post them all in a skip.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,194 8,617
    I can order made to measure blinds online and delivered in days. I doubt a leaflet through the door is going to convince me that you can provide a better service.

Shoving leaflets through doors isn't going to get much traction. If people want new blinds at some point in the future they will look for someone, they won't remember you.

And not helped by a website they fails to delivery anything useful.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

487 101
    I imagine the target audience for the OP are those who want the blinds fitted as well.

I'm sure leaflets could work if done well, but OP might have to experiment to find out what works for them.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  5. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,849 394
    First port of call would be to become a full member so you can get a web site review.

Where are you (Lancashire is a big county)? One of the key errors on your web site is lack of business information that is required by law.

Finally, you need to get your products seen by as many people as possible, I would look at space within shopping centres, as the return from leafleting will be minimal for the reasons already stated.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  6. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

327 72
    Some of my best customers came from postcard marketing.

Here is a simple formula:

1) Find out what your market really wants in Window blinds.

2) Find a graphic designer who does "minimalist" style design.

3) Get a great headline and list 3 benefits.

4) Use a really good visual.

5) Use card stock postcard.

6) Distribute on a suitable day e.g. Sunday in a suitable neighborhood*
    *rich neighborhood

7) And then anywhere between 2 and 24 months, you will get some of the best, loyalist customers you'll ever find.

Remember when somebody types in "blinds lancashire" you're probably competing with 10 other companies. But when a potential customer gets your postcard in the door, the floor is yours (pardon the pun). Moreover, flyers reach all those customers thinking "I might get new blinds for the front of the house. I must keep this card" stage of the buying cycle.

BTW, I don't want to sound like a luddite here, I recognise the power of content marketing, and laser-focus Google PPC but postcard marketing is very nice addition any marketeers toolbox.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  7. Honey Blinds

38 3
    Thanks all responders that is very helpful info, My site is nowhere near complete I have a have a huge amount of work to do yet, It is not intended for public viewing at the moment. I am looking into formulating a proper plan for the leaflets, not just throwing something together and getting it printed. Any other opinions are very welcome.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: Honey Blinds Member since: Jan 10, 2018
  8. fisicx

29,194 8,617
    Are you selling blinds, making them yourself, installing or what?

What you plan to do will often dictate your marketing strategy. The website for example may just need to be a single page if all you are offering is an installation service.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,125 573
    The right leaflet. To the right people at the right time will be cost effective

Anything else is guesswork.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  10. am:pm graphics

am:pm graphics UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

730 66
    Content and design are so important for a successful leaflet drop campaign. Where were you planning on delivering them? You would have to have a big print run I think to see any good return - how many were you planning on having printed?

Perhaps if you offered a great discount along with the leaflet that might help and encourage people to keep the leaflet. Have you considered something smaller like an A6 or even a business card size - this would stand out and may be kept on a notice board/fridge/wallet? Also if you can offer something more than those businesses selling online, that would be great!

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: am:pm graphics Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  11. Honey Blinds

38 3
    I had not considered a business card size, do not believe I have seen a leaflet like that , although it sounds different like you say, perhaps people may pay more attention because it would be unusual, I am not sure

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Honey Blinds Member since: Jan 10, 2018
  12. fisicx

29,194 8,617
    How often do people buy blinds?

If someone gave you a card for kitchen worktops would you keep it? Would you keep a card for new garage doors?

Leaflets and cards can work well for services people use regularly: ironing, windowwashing, wheelie bin cleaning, dog walkers and so on. They don't work so well for things people might want as some indeterminate point in the future.

What can work for you is local advertising. Your van for example with your details painted on the side. Park up in the supermarkets and other places where there is plenty of footfall and people do take notice. It's how we found the electrician who does work for us.
    [​IMG]

A mate of mine has is phone number on his van roof. He does a lot of work in offices so people looking out his window see his number.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

649 187
    Most leaflets I get go straight in the recycling, mainly because they're just not relevant to me i.e. I don't need Slimming World or new blinds. If I were looking for blinds, then I'm probably check out your website, but only if.

It could get lost if it's sandwiched between other things but I assume most people would at least look through once to ensure there's nothing important. You can't get a lot of information on a business card-sized flyer, but that's probably a good thing as it forces you to be minimal and think creatively about the format and what you need to say.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  14. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

953 137
    Leaflet distribution is below 50% or usually nothing, the reasons are the target place, target people, target time, and especially the leaflet of its own is unrelated or doesn't need by the users. It will need a further studies and analysis before the distribution for you to have a leaflet the will make an action to the receiver whenever they see and read it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  15. KindaichiShota

KindaichiShota UKBF Contributor Free Member

28 5
    Leaflet distribution is one of the most affordable and effective methods of advertising. With 48% of consumers responding to leaflet advertisements, 47% have been recorded as responding to direct marketing, 47% to TV and press advertising methods gain 60% of custom.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 By: KindaichiShota Member since: Nov 8, 2017
  16. Richard Glynn

Richard Glynn UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

538 133
    http://www.fostermedia.co.uk/advertising-response-rates-by-channel/
    Not 100% sure about these figures.

Like Honey Blinds said - typically most advertising response rates, including leaflets, are around 1-3% on a good day.

http://www.fostermedia.co.uk/advertising-response-rates-by-channel/

If I were you @Honey Blinds I'd be working hard to encourage personal referrals. Share your best installations on a Facebook Page. And make it easy for customers to share with friends if they choose.

Perhaps leaflet drop (20-30 ) in the immediate area each time you do a job. A handwritten envelope saying "How can we transform your home?" Then say "One of your neighbours just chose Honey Blinds .. here's how we can help you too" That sort of thing.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Richard Glynn Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  17. Honey Blinds

38 3
    Thanks Richard that is interesting info in the link, I like the handwritten envelope idea, I still intend to use some leaflets, but am now pretty convinced social paid and free local home delivered magazines are the best ways to go for me, of course referral's are the best "advertising" any business can have.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Honey Blinds Member since: Jan 10, 2018
  18. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

136 9
    I guess if you are prepared to deliver yourself it would bring the cost down. About 10 years ago I spent the best part of a week delivering leaflets to pretty much every business in Telford, I got a sale straight away and two leads which after about a month led to a second sale. It was pretty hard work for the return I got, but I also raised my profile somewhat so there may have been indirect referrals I was not aware of.

At the time I tried everything fax shots, leaflets, telesales the lot. Search Marketing worked the best for me longer term, but I was keen to do everything I could at that stage.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  19. fisicx

29,194 8,617
    Social paid will only work if people are thinking about home improvement when they see your advert.

Getting your website sorted and listed on 'Google my Business' will be far more effective.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,440 2,552
    As mentioned previously in this thread, it's not just about what you do, but how you do it.

Leaflets, sales letters, social media ads, magazine ads etc can all be great successes or monumental failures. It depends what they say and how they are targeted.

I think your best approach would be to set up a website and Adwords campaign. You could even explore SEO, as localised keywords can be relatively easy to rank for depending on where you're based.

If you do that, you'll only be paying for visitors who have searched for your service type and are therefore interested in buying before they even land on your site. It's far easier to close those leads instead of broader forms of advertising where 90% of people may have no interest in window blinds whatsoever.

With a website and targeted advertising campaign based on search keywords, you just have to convince people interested in window blinds to choose your company. With your other ideas, you have to convince them to take an interest in window blinds, and then convince them to choose your company. It's a lot more work.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006