How does eBay interlink accounts?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Onlyme123, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Onlyme123

Onlyme123 UKBF Contributor Free Member

57 5
    Hi there,

I am wanting to set up an additional eBay account. I have read that this is possible and is allowed, but read that eBay links up all accounts to one.

I'm wondering how they link each account - is it done based on your home address, IP, email, PayPal etc?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 By: Onlyme123 Member since: Sep 21, 2010
  2. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,210 303
    most likely all of the above, and a few other ways they don't advertise

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,097 1,797
    Its most likely only going to become a problem if they decide they don't want your business. In which case all your business would be not wanted.

Not worth worrying about until your business gets into trouble with them.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. UrbanRetail

UrbanRetail UKBF Regular Free Member

178 46
    eBay use names, emails, addresses, IP, linked PayPal accounts, bank accounts linked to PayPal, credit/debit cards used to pay on more than one account, shill bidding, the list goes on.

eBay will know the accounts are connected, but you will still have two separate accounts.

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 By: UrbanRetail Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,725 9,012
    Why do you want multiple accounts? Is it to get around a limit or restriction on your current account?

If this is the case eBay will soon catch up and ban both accounts.

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

196 17
    We have 3 ebay accounts. They definitely know about them. But the names and addresses are common, so it is not difficult to link them.

Not sure it is necessary to ask why one might want a second account. It is normal, not dodgy. Example, I am on the German French border, so we have a French account and a German account. We have a third account for tax purposes. In addition to operating a company I also trade as a sole trader for one range of goods. This enable me to turnover 82,000 euros without the burden of VAT or employment tax. All my income is generated via this account, leaving my company some breathing room in terms of overheads and tax.

I would also consider a new account for a range of products where I know customers can be more demanding, eg clothing. I would not want to risk bad feedback from stroppy shoppers. I used to retail some car accessories. They were not as nice as bikers. So there is defo a difference in how people behave, depending on the category of product.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017