How do you turn down request for charity discount tactfully?

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Karimbo, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,993 205
    Quick question.

My business supplies events, we do get a number of requests for organisations registered as charities asking for charity discount.

For most good causes, I dont mind offering a discount to help them financially. Humanitarian causes, medical charities and other vital community support charities I don't mind. But it seems that there are just a huge spate of organisations with legal status as a charity that I don't believe do "proper" charitable work.

What is the best way to deal with this? Just tell them "I'm unable to offer a charity discount" where I deem the organisation to not fit my personal charity criteria. Or can I just be honest and tell them we only give charity discounts that fit out humanitarian, disaster relief, aid criteria etc.

I'm a bit concerned the former will come across as cold, on the other hand the latter seems like I'm sticking my middle finger at them and telling them they're not real charities.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,388 3,834
    How about - we have a set charity discount budget, which is now depleted, or somesuch.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,300 2,946
    Can simply tell them no.
    Then refuse to discuss the decision.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,635 312
    Exactly what we do.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  5. Alyson Dyer

Alyson Dyer UKBF Regular Free Member

202 78
    Same here.
    I sometimes add that we make a positive choice of charities to support .

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Alyson Dyer Member since: Oct 27, 2011
  6. Woofster

Woofster UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    "Due to a large amount of requests and the inability to sadly support them all. We have decided as a company to concentrate on supporting xxx and yyy for the foreseeable future/this year."

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 By: Woofster Member since: Feb 21, 2018
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,800 1,811
    Ask how much their Chief Executive earns:)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about 'respectful' - just common courtesy.

Point out that you are a business, and must charge as such. Add that as an individual you do have chosen charitable causes, and you are happy to consider their against your criteria in future.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,916 292
    Just a word of warning here. You should be careful of offering any discount selectively if it turns out that a non-recipient believes it is being discriminated against. This is potentially a stick to hit you with if for whatever reason if they decide to take issue with you (and legally any customer can take this position if they feel they are being discriminated against).

Far simpler to offer a flat discount - say, 5% - to any registered charity and turn this into a selling point for your biz.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  9. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,166 1,762
    Im with Mark on this
    How about telling them how it is and not caring if you cause offence You will sleep better

With the CEO s of these charities taking massive salaries I wont give a discount.
    If the COE is getting top wack then so are we

I prefer to support local charities at a local level and we can see where the money is going

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  10. HazelC

HazelC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

973 227
    I would recommend the above or at the beginning of the year choose a selected charity or charities and only offer discount to them, Proudly state on your website you are proud supporters of ... charity and if asked for discount from other groups explain your only offer to these stated charities but you'll consider them as your chosen charity next year?

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  11. thebigproxylist

thebigproxylist UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I agree with Mark. I'd say, exercise your right to say "no".

But you can also think about increasing the number of units/packages eligible for discounts spefically for charities. I'm sure, you'd be able to tell whether or not to give a discount by determining your sales from their purchase.

Other alternatives I have in mind are - offer credits for future use (repeat customers) or add value by providing additional freebies that fits the charity.

Hope this helps. ;)

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: thebigproxylist Member since: Feb 13, 2018
  12. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,464 1,053
    My response to any charity that asks for a 'gift' or discount is to ask them to show proof they have a discount from BT for their phones, their electric supplier and their local petrol station. If they cannot get a discount from big suppliers why the hell should they expect something from little me?

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.