General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

How Do I Sell My Website Business?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Splatercash, May 27, 2020.

1. Splatercash

Splatercash UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 4
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post so please move the thread if it's not.

I'll try and keep this short and sweet. In 2012 I build a little website in the Bi-Folding Doors niche, which was the top of page 1 in Google the search term "Bi-Folding Doors Scotland". Initially, I partnered with a supplier in England and acted as their Scottish sales agent. The website brought in leads and I made some sales and commissions.

It's never been anything more than a side hustle really. I've now slipped towards the bottom of page 1 and, until recently, was using a new supplier on a similar basis. I'm at the stage where I'd rather fully automate revenue from the site or, better yet, just sell it and move on.

The problem is, I don't know how to sell it or value it. It's a bit of a weird situation insomuch that the website itself doesn't generate turnover or profit and - mostly because I've been engaged in other things - I've not generated much income from the leads provided in recent years.

However, the aforementioned search term gets 260 searches a month and the site is pulling 714 unique users per annum (down 50% compared to 2018/19 when it was higher on page 1). People still regularly complete the quotation request form and the domain has 8 years of solid white-hat SEO based domain authority. The average order value on a sale of an aluminum bi-folding door set is in the order of £4-5,000 so the leads/sales that can be generated by the site can be lucrative for a company/person that poised to actually make use of them.

I guess the ideal "purchaser" would be a company that can supply and fit bi-folding doors throughout Scotland but currently doesn't rank well for the search term. By building out a new site they could probably capture 100s of leads per year they otherwise would miss.

All in all, I'm a little lost as to what to do. As you can hopefully see, the website doesn't really fit into the model of most "websites for sale" so I'm not sure what to do with it. Suggestions/advice welcome.

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: Splatercash Member since: Aug 11, 2016
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,888 2,757
    Its value is zero.

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

807 156
    Contact a company that can supply and fit bi-folding doors throughout Scotland and offer them to buy it for £500. You would be lucky to get that money but low asking price might be enough to get some interest. I can buy aged domains for under £100

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  4. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

310 100
    What is the actual domain?

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Splatercash

23 4
    I'm not allowed to post links until 30 posts. If you search, "Goval Bi Folds" the domain will come up top

6. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,939 2,103
    No.

As is not uncommon with people who own sites like yours - you're looking at the big numbers and ignoring the small ones.

#1 ranking in Google gets, what, 30% clicks?

Bottom of first page gets, what, 1% clickthrough?

260 searches a month, or 3120 for the year, gets 31 visitors to the site.

What percentage of visitors go ahead and make an enquiry? 10% would be massive?

But let's go with 10%.

So, that's 3 for the year. Maybe.

How many enquiries convert to sales? 1 in 50? 1 in 10?

Even assume one in 10 - your traffic over three years generates one, solitary customer who generates them £1000 in profit.

All the above with a big MAYBE.

Let's say £300 a year is their total benefit from your site. Why would they bother paying you, taking the site over, dealing with all the hassle of owning a site and maintaining it, paying for SEO to not lose the ranking .... in order to get that kind of chicken feed?

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Splatercash

23 4
    While that's great in theory from your perspective looking in. It doesn't align with my perspective of actually owning the site for 8-years. I still regularly get enquiries every month through the "get quote" form. In fact, it's those enquiries that prompted this as I've been declining to quote for over 6 months which is wasteful of my time and also the person filling out the form.

8. Mr D

22,888 2,757
    Enquiries are nice. But they are not sales.

9. Splatercash

23 4
    No, but they were when I actually quoted, followed up, closed, etc.

By that logic McDonalds UK had no value in April because they weren't making sales of burgers in the UK.

10. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

807 156
    I was wrong £500 was too much. Based on those numbers start with £100

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  11. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,392 1,157
    What sort of figure did you have in mind?

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  12. Splatercash

23 4
    I honestly don't have one. It would have to be something that's worth the hassle of speaking to a seller, figuring out terms, arranging the transfer, etc. Someone said £100 at some point but that's nowhere near worth my time to do anything other than just delete the website and let the URL expire.

13. Mr D

22,888 2,757
    So what is worth your time to do anything?

You've established £100 is not. So 10 times higher? 20? 50?

14. Splatercash

23 4
    Well, from my main job I make around £100 an hour so I guess if it takes 5h to market, sell and transfer it would be £500 or £1,000 for 10h. I have no idea what's actually involved as I've never sold a website or URL before and, in any event, it's only worth what a) someone is willing to pay based on b) the value they can see it in.

15. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,044 1,970
    I've a similar business/website
    Set up for what was a niche product, a bit cheaper £300 - £600 occasional up to £2k

I used to drop ship, never really full time as I was still working initially and then always doing other stuff, early 2000's I was earning £500 to £700 a week from it, had potential to make a lot more but I never really set it up as well as I should have done

I doubt I'd have sold it if someone offered me £30k

A few years later it wasn't quite so nice, cheaper imports were everywhere, a few really good competitors joined the market. I was still making reasonable money though for time I was spending on it

A few years later, the product started to appear in Google Shopping, more people were using AdWords, because I was only drop shipping I couldn't control prices and my products were no longer competitive, rankings dropped to mid/lower 1st page.

It still just about makes enough now to pay all the business expenses and a small wage.
    Probably not worth £100 now though

Annoying thing is, it still gets over 200 unique visitors a day, most are looking for information though and when they are looking for products mine are just too expensive.

Thing is, although it's probably not even worth £100 I still doubt I would sell if someone offered me £10k

You're probably in similar situation, no one will pay you what you would sell it for.

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  16. Splatercash

23 4
    I can see you relate. That's exactly how I feel. I'm not daft, I can see that the potential marketplace for it is so small that is has little to no value and yet it's simply not worth me selling it for £100. I'd trip over a sale in the next year that would make me £600-800 just by quoting the leads and never following up. It put's me in this weird position where I don't want to sell it for less than I'd make in one sale but I also don't want to see or deal with any emails from the site or even have it as a feature in my "mental space".

I probably just need to cut it loose have a wee cry [figuratively] and concentrate on my other businesses/work.

17. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,044 1,970
    I just let mine tick over.

The running costs are minimal; hosting, domain reg, insurance, accountants fees is less than £1k a year and I can still make that in a week with a couple of good orders.

Every now and then I'll spend a few hours tweaking and updating the website but I enjoy doing things like that, plus I drop links to other sites I'm working on at the same time and use it for testing out new ideas

I might have to answer the phone a few times a week, reply to a few emails and my daughter puts in 10 hours a week helping out.

As long as it earns enough to pay all my expenses and covers my daughters wage I'll just let it tick over.

If it ever gets to the stage where it isn't making enough to cover outgoings then I'll have to decide on what to do.

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  18. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

310 100
    Would you consider letting some run and manage the website whislt retaining ownership and taking a % of converted sales?

Posted: May 27, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  19. Porky

Porky UKBF Regular Full Member

198 80
    Google is in the business of selling keywords, it likes to rank businesses for certain keyword sets so they get use to a certain number of free referrals and then shuffle its algorithm so they then need to start paying google.

It also likes to cap traffic levels for keywords and will do this by changing the results sets shown from different data centres. In one you are rank 5 and in another you drop to 12 it’s not constant and it’s not guaranteed again it’s to drive you towards pay per click advertising.

I know this for fact because I have done “white hat” seo to get sites to rank for prime keywords and the saying “make hay whilst the sun shines” is never truer for sites ranking top of the SERPS in google.

Armed with this knowledge I would not buy your website in a million years as in another weeks time it could be page 20 or nowhere to be seen however that is not to say that someone else might want it.

The obvious place to try would be the company you sent the most referrals to last year? You could say to them that last year your website was referring x to them, you are consolidating your interests and would they be interested in buying it? Frankly, anything you got offered I would take - let’s face it you are selling it now because it’s not returning the referrals it once was?

It’s either that or continue to draw affiliate income from referrals until it ultimately stops ranking and it becomes more hassle to administer than it’s worth and it’s lights out. Kind of sounds like you are fast approaching that point now?

Good luck

Posted: May 28, 2020 By: Porky Member since: Dec 27, 2019
  20. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,027 289
    If your site is making a small amount of money then that is what it is worth to you. To someone else, the £100 figure you mentioned before is about right.

Realistically, how much effort would it take to duplicate what you're already doing and move on from there? The fact you can save someone that small effort isn't worth the premium you are thinking of.

Sorry if that is harsh but you'll make more money by doing nothing.

Posted: May 28, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019