How do I get the Best Exchange Rates?

Discussion in 'New to import/export? Read these before posting' started by MRam, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elraymonds

elraymonds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    can you specify the exchange rates?

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 By: elraymonds Member since: Nov 21, 2012
  2. MRam

MRam UKBF Newcomer Full Member

13 1
    Posted: Jul 11, 2013 By: MRam Member since: Feb 20, 2013
  3. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,406 648
    I bank with HSBC, and recently opened an account with HiFX to compare the sterling to yen exchange rate. HiFX was better by one yen for the amounts I wanted to send, their sending fees were £9 compared to £30 though.

Posted: Jul 11, 2013 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  4. ANye

ANye UKBF Contributor Full Member

36 6
    It's definitely worth browsing a number of foreign exchange companies to see who can give you the best exchange rate, a lot of them will compete to get the business. If you're in the UK make sure you look out for the FCA logo which will tell you that the financial institution is regulated for your safety and protection.

But yes you are right, using a bank like HSBC for an overseas money transfer will always result in higher fees and exchange rates. I'd register with a couple of trusted foreign exchange providers (this is normally free to do) and then go with the one that's giving you the best deal.

If you want any more information then please feel free to get in touch.

Posted: Jul 12, 2013 By: ANye Member since: Mar 8, 2013
  5. globalguy

globalguy UKBF Contributor Free Member

55 5
    Yesterday, I needed to change $1000 into sterling. I was surprised when the greeter at HSBC told me I would be better off using the nearby Bureau de Change, since they offer better rates, so I did.

Imagine my surprise my I learnt that I would have in fact gotten £1 MORE if I had engaged with HSBC in the first place. Banks, eh!...

Posted: Dec 19, 2013 By: globalguy Member since: Feb 11, 2010
  6. MRam

MRam UKBF Newcomer Full Member

13 1
    if you are interested in a quote for an international money transfer or a business currency audit - feel free to personal message me and we will come back to you within 1 working day.

Posted: May 19, 2014 By: MRam Member since: Feb 20, 2013
  7. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

4,922 1,052
    That doesn't sound very good to me. I get instant on line quote from the company I use.

G

Posted: May 19, 2014 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,246 552
    I was using HSBC early on in my business to send money to my supplier, but as it turns out, I was getting a woeful rate .... & also being charged £20 each time(!), I then started sending money via a currency broker (the banks really ought to wise up...this is 2014, & it's not on to charge customers for transferring the money). I used one of the currency exchange comparison websites to find a currency broker & went with the one showing the best rates at that time...I've been very happy with their service.

I send about £120k overseas with them (in chunks of £20k to £30k spread out over the year)...I was worried about trustworthiness, but needn't have...it's all been just fine & dandy.

If anyone wants the name of the currency broker I use PM me (I don't like spamming threads)....I've no links with this broker ....just a happy customer

Posted: Jun 23, 2014 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. Virtual Phone Numbers

Virtual Phone Numbers UKBF Contributor Free Member

75 9
    Have been more than satisfied using CurrencyFair. Their rates are good, but if you can wait, the marketplace has even better rates. Am almost sure these are the best rates we will get.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Virtual Phone Numbers Member since: May 13, 2014
  10. japancool

3,406 648
    What do you mean by "the marketplace"?

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  11. Rhussain

Rhussain UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Using a Currency broker is a lot better and more cheaper, they offer you a service that most bank massively avoid. Currency brokers offer a much more tailored service for their clients to suit their needs, such as telling the client when the best time to buy or sell in the market. For example the current GBP/USD is at a 5 year high at 1.70 making it the best time to buy USD, a lot of my clients have bought 6-12 month forwards making the most at this level reducing there currency risk. where as banks tend just offer you a rate which is normally 2-4% of market depending on the volume along with high transaction fees.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Rhussain Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  12. Virtual Phone Numbers

75 9
    Currencyfair have a marketplace which allows you to change money with other people. For example, I have USD and want GBP. I can either get an instant change from Currencyfair themselves (which isn't too bad comparatively) or I can put a request stating I'm looking for a better rate, and a user that has GBP and wants USD can change their money with me, getting us both a better rate. As long as the request is reasonable, it normally gets changed pretty soon after the order is made.

13. Rhussain

4 0

Just out of interest is their a big difference in rates and fees when you exchange currency with another person than just going with currency fair?

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: Rhussain Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  14. japancool

3,406 648
    Ah ok thanks, it's something specific to CurrencyFair. I thought you were talking about the market in general.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  15. Virtual Phone Numbers

75 9
    The only fee you pay is when you withdraw the money to your bank account - a standard £3 fee per withdrawal to a UK account. It makes no difference how you changed the money. I found this the cheapest way to change.

16. TimFallon

TimFallon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

30 0
    For quick online bank transfers you could also check out Transferwise.com . They provide very good exchange rates (better than most banks) and don't charge the same fees as banks for foreign transfers.

You'll need a bank account in the destination country so if you have that it's definitely a quick and easy option with much better rates than the banks.

Posted: Jun 27, 2014 By: TimFallon Member since: Jun 6, 2014
  17. japancool

3,406 648
    I use XE when I need to do a wire transfer but a credit card payment is usually easier and cheaper.

Posted: Jun 27, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  18. Rhussain

4 0
    XE are good use for indicative rates, however the rates they quote are often delayed . having a broker that offers a platform that feeds live rates is a lot better and more accurate.

Posted: Jun 27, 2014 By: Rhussain Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  19. paulWW

paulWW UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    does anyone know here how to calculate forward and spot currency rates?

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 By: paulWW Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  20. Rhussain

4 0
    calculating forward and spot currency can be very tricky to understand, Forward rates is an algorithm which involves time, interest rates and the destination of the country. If you are a master wiz with numbers and Formula then I can give you the algorithm, If you like to the full formula then please contact me 02075940570

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 By: Rhussain Member since: Jun 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.