General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

How do I change the name of a partnership

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ellectrastar, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ellectrastar

ellectrastar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    I am in a partnership. I registered it with a business name which I now want to change. How do I go about doing this? I've searched HMRC's website but am not having much luck. I asked them via a social media channel and they said I can do it on my account, but I can only see this in relation to personal details, not the partnership. I can get through to a screen which would allow me to change the name but I'm not sure if this is just in relation to the VAT side of things, or whether this covers the partnership as a whole. I would ring them but I can't make calls at the moment due to an issue with my provider. Just wondered if anyone knew whether this screen would be the right place to do it?

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 By: ellectrastar Member since: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    You and your business partner agree?
    Then write to HMRC to inform them, quoting the company tax reference number.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,743 3,559
    I suspect the screen will just be for VAT.

Just include the new name on the assessments when they are filed. HMRC won't be too bothered.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  4. Vin Gupta

Vin Gupta UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 4
    I changed my partnership name by calling up HMRC. It was a quick and painless process!

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: Vin Gupta Member since: Nov 23, 2020
  5. ellectrastar

ellectrastar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    Belated thank you. I called HMRC in the end but it was far from quick and painless! They seemed intent on trying to guide me through it online, even though I told them I had looked everywhere and could not find a way to do it. They didn't seem too sure either, and in the end changed it for me.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: ellectrastar Member since: Jul 31, 2008