How can I make a claim ?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Farmbritains, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmbritains

Farmbritains UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    I run an Engineering business, early last year I swapped a machine for a mezzanine floor to reduce storage issues, the company I made this verbal agreement with makes steel fabrications and the owner was a personal friend so I thought I could trust him .... so its about a year now and he has my machine but I have nothing from him except verbal abuse in emails, he now says he is charging me for storage and has since put the machine outside (this will scrap it) and told me to collect it when I want to, I have no way of collecting it it weighs 2.5 tonnes., I have emails and texts saying he will get it sorted from him and his manufacturing manager employees.
    I have tried several times for a peaceful conclusion.
    He is now getting abusive in emails, swearing and calling me names, I think he is trying to get a response from me or for me to go over and take the value out of him personally however I am not rising to his responses and would really like some advice on the best route to take please.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Farmbritains Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  2. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,800 652
    Sorry it's not clear exactly what the terms of the agreement are. You swapped a machine for a floor? Was this supposed to be a permanent arrangement or time limited? What exactly did you not receive?

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  3. Farmbritains

7 0
    Ok thanks, I'll add some further info.

Yes that's correct a machine for a floor it was about the same value.
    Yes it was a permanent arrangement
    I didn't receive the steel frame work of a mezzanine floor.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: Farmbritains Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  4. dave archer

dave archer UKBF Regular Free Member

790 165
    I would forget about going down the legal road, it is just not worth the aggro and costs.

The owner of the fabrication company has obviously realised that manufacturing a new mezzanine floor
    of suitable size for your workshop will cost him significantly more to manufacture in time, steel and labour costs than what your old machine is worth to him.

You should consider hiring a 7.5 tonne HIAB crane truck and driver and go get your machine back,
    before it starts rusting into an un-useable state.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Farmbritains

7 0
    That's funny, why would you say that ? he quoted and he wanted my machine as it was up for sale, my machine was worth more than the mezzanine by a considerable amount.but as he was a friend I was prepared to let it go, do you know him by any chance ?

6. dave archer

790 165
    ...my machine was worth more than the mezzanine by a considerable amount.

Well he obviously does not think so, or even want it now......Ha Ha.
    He has dumped it out the back in the rain.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

13,758 1,507
    Maybe he wanted to mess you around. You may have thought of him as a friend, it appears he didn't think the same.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Farmbritains

7 0
    its ok Im on here getting a second opinion, my new business partner is ruthless and he's the sort of person who would spend the money just to piss him off and being as he is a solicitor I think its the way to go.

Not forgetting of course he is legally obligated to look after the goods that are still my property, as he has chosen not to do that it just makes our claim so much easier, he made the mistakes of answering all my questions in emails and texts as did his manager I also have independent witnesses that heard what he has said over the phone, clearly he is suffering from some mental issues but at the end of the day business is business and a deal is a deal

Thanks for your help guys catch you around.

9. dave archer

790 165
    It is hard to understand exactly what you will actually be claiming.

You are now determined to start going down the futile route of spending a lot of time and money on legal stuff.
    ... for a bit of revenge ... Ha Ha.

Just go and collect your machine and everything will sort itself.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014
  10. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Ace Full Member

2,951 829
    Sell the machine with collection to be arranged from his premises

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.