How about a UK spell check? Why dis American nonsense?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Clinton, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,249 1,063
    Do you realise that the spell check on UK Business Forums uses an American dictionary?

We all know the Americans can't spell (and don't have a sense of humour either). They can't even handle simple words like defence and licence - forget about complicated words (for them) like programme or doughnut.

Why isn't UKBF using a normal dictionary that can recognise "colour" is spelt with a "u" and one doesn't need to replace every "s" with a "z"?

So, like, OMG, this sucks.

No, don't apologise, and no dialogue necessary, just organise it and sort it out for goodness sake!

(Or tell users how to change their default browser spell check :))

<Added>
    Sorry, @The Byre, I was still editing that post... and I just noticed you were very quick on the draw! :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,833 2,669
    That's your own browser doing that!

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,077 745
    Invade them.
    Make them use the English dictionary, make them drink HOT tea, demand repayment for the waste of tea in the harbour and demand back taxes from the colonies and their subsequent areas colonised since.

Failing that the foreigners will change their culture to one that spells properly over time.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,858 1,459
    They will tell you it's the forum software and it can't be altered.

Which is plain lazy

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  5. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

979 175
    colour business doughnut - I don't see a problem - but then I'm using a rubbish MS browser called Edge. Maybe I should ditch that and move to something open source?

:D:D:D

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  6. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    Think the Americans are bad? A few years ago I went back to India and was amazed at the new liberties they are now taking with English.

Indlish was bad enough when I was growing up in India. But since I left it's become a lot worse.
    I had to tell someone to do me a favour and talk to me in Hindi because I could not for the life of me understand his version of English.

7. Mr D

7,077 745
    Growing up my exposure to Indian way of speaking was Michael Bates in It Aint Half Hot Mum.
    Was a teenager before heard anyone from India speaking. Well, besides Cliff Richard and Michael Bates.

One of my best friends is from India, came here as a child with her parents. Has a Dudley accent and apparently incomprehensible to her cousins when speaking English to them.

Once I would have hoped we would overtake the Americans in providing educated people able to spell to the world. Politicians plus the advent of texting has rather killed that idea years ago.
    Some of the emails I get and posts I see are unreadable.

8. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,833 2,669
    I'm still working on understanding English English. After being away from the country for over 30 years, returning involved learning some of the more bizarre euphemisms and expressions.

Some health type wanted to know about my 'bowel movement' and I had not the foggiest notion what the fool was talking about. I imagined it must be some art movement from the 1920s, rather like cubism.

Then there are the words that have changed pronunciation into becoming almost totally unrecognisable. Garage has now become the strange word 'Gerrige'. Dynasty is now dinn-as-tee. And not that long ago, some precious prat tried to tell me that a market survey required more 'dah-tah' and after a long explanation, I discovered that the poor devil was trying to say the word 'data'.

And there is a new type of English, spoken around the Essex area, that defies all comprehension. A friend of mine wanted to query his telephone bill and some female at the other end just kept repeating the phrase "Were you away with all her churches?"

Nothing he could do, could persuade her to deviate from that one sentence, "Were you away with all her churches?", so he had no option, but to cancel his contract and find a supplier who employed people who did not come from Essex.

On discussing this event with us, we all came (after much discourse and debate) to the conclusion that she was trying to say "Were you aware of all the charges?" We also thought that coming from Essex must be extremely debilitating.

Not to be forgotten, are the New-Speak expressions that seem to have popped up all over the place in my absence. 'On-going' is put into texts, where the simple little word 'still' would do a better job and the ghastly 'not fit for purpose' is all over the place, when we have used the simple word 'broken' for centuries.

As for going to temple "thrice a week" - nothing wrong with the English, just the idea of going to temple in the first place! Both the English and the sentiment are somewhat archaic!

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  9. Mr D

7,077 745
    I often watch last of the summer wine while having lunch. Foggy (one of the characters) often uses old English words - I don't understand thee - and stuff like that.
    I understand him better than I can understand people in London sometimes.

For Essex you could try TOWIE as its known, the only way is Essex. Think fantasy 'modern' EastEnders without the good bits. :)

10. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    You seem quite happy to have surrendered completely to the Americans! :)

I've been living in Essex for a while now and most people I know in Essex don't speak like they do in TOWIE. But it does get very annoying when some of them try to sound smart and use "big words". The receptionist at my dentist starts every other sentence with an "obviously" even when it is not obvious at all.

"Obviously, it costs £x for a filling and £y for a crown"
    "Obviously your dentist will be on holiday on the 15th of March..."

The first time it threw me and I requested clarification. "Sorry, why do you claim this is obvious? Should it have been obvious to me that he's going on holiday in March? Have I missed something?"

That really confused her and she got even more incoherent with some "at the end of the day"s and some "you know what I mean"s!

Actually, no, I don't know what you mean, darling, I've not the faintest idea.

11. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

979 175
    Lol, with Edge reportedly faster than Chrome and Safari, it saves me time. It's seamless compatibility with Windows 10, O365 and the MS office suite means that I would be taking the bulldog spirit a little far by ignoring it.
    Most of my business income is USD these days, so I guess yr dang right there buddy. :cool:

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  12. barryo

barryo UKBF Regular Free Member

199 46
    The one thats got me completely foxed is starting sentences with "yes, no..." or "no, yes..."

How did that start?

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: barryo Member since: Sep 5, 2010
  13. Clinton

3,249 1,063
    It was started by the professor in the story below:

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  14. barryo

barryo UKBF Regular Free Member

199 46
    Hilarious!

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 By: barryo Member since: Sep 5, 2010