Honest website review please

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Nico Albrecht, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

568 91
    Posted: Jul 19, 2017 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  2. Kelly Drewett

Kelly Drewett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 10
    Hi Nico (or is it Laura?), generally it is looking good.

From a "potential bride's" point of view the site is easy to get around, easy to see what to do and where to go. I also think it is a great idea.

The photographs of the actual items are awful, but I think they may just be place holders :)

From a website designers point of view... the large images on the home page are visually great, but would slow down the site. Google likes a fast loading site to see what the site is about and where to go, fast, same as any user. Although it looks nice, you are preventing the user seeing the SEARCH, CONTACT, BUY, GET MARRIED which are all below the fold.

You do not need the logo again on the top images on OUR STORY / HOW IT WORKS etc.

It would be better if you had it on a secure server, as I would not want to register to the site as is.

On mobile (larger than 400px) within the pink bar at the top the social icons start to get lost within the navigation, and are not aligned.

Search engine side of things needs some work. Research key terms that people actually search for and gear the site around those. The hub looks good, I'm guessing this is the blog area that you will develop. Make sure you write about what your clients would want to hear, and, again, research the terms.

All the best, Kelly

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 By: Kelly Drewett Member since: Dec 10, 2016
  3. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,907 1,318
    Blurred images of a anything will honestly not sell it.

The image of the dress from Ian Stuart is awful... sorry, but if anything get the woman to pop the dress on again (if it still fits!! :D :D :D) and take a decent picture...

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,938 9,073
    Image is everything - and the ones on the site are yuk. I know you don't have any control over what people upload but if you want people to visit and use the site you need to offer advice.

On the listings pages the email address is plain text (a spammers dream) as are the phone numbers.

And you only have 2 listings so it's not much use to anyone.

You appear to have every wordpress plugin ever invented on the site and the theme is poorly responsive - the UX isn't good on a small screen.

I added a listing and the whole process isn't good. My listing doesn't display my image and I can't edit the details.

And because you use the image upload functionality you may have problems with images uploaded from iPhone (the exif data messes with the rotation).

And there is very little filtering - which means I can inject all sorts of nasties.

Great idea but the way the site has been constructed means you will struggle to get people using the site.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,376 166
    I also find it difficult to use the navigation tab under add listing , I am not able to select any of the category under that tab , I am using Mozilla.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  6. webdesignnewcastle

webdesignnewcastle UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

68 12
    Really nice idea.

I can see what you're trying to do, but I think some better wedding dress photos would help. The photo on the home page slider of the bottom of the wedding dress is dreadful. The bath and dress is lovely.

Buy some photos from Big Stock Photos. £39 get you 10 credits.

With your website, you will or loose on the quality of the image.
    Gallery pages the images are dreadful
    You need to explain to use what is the ideal size of the image.

in your footer you have 2016 the date is wrong it should be 2017

SSL certificate
    You need a SSL certificate
    Google announced that going HTTPS — adding a SSL 2048-bit key certificate on your site — will give you a minor ranking boost

They cost between £15 to £300 depending on the provider.
    Go for GeoTrust SSL from Domaincheck. £15 + VAT per year.

Alt Tags
    On the Home Page, you have 9 images and only two have alt tags.

Quote from Moz about Alt Tags
    "The alt and title attributes of an image are commonly referred to as alt tag or alt text and title tag even though they’re not technically tags. The alt text describes what’s on the image and the function of the image on the page. So if you have an image that’s used as a button to buy product X, the alt text would say: “button to buy product X”.

The alt tag is used by screen readers, the browsers used by blind and visually impaired people, to tell them what is on the image. The title attribute is shown as a tooltip when you hover over the element, so in the case of an image button, the button could contain an extra call-to-action, like “Buy product X now for $19!”.

Each image should have an alt text. Not just for SEO purposes but also because blind and visually impaired people otherwise won’t know what the image is for. A title attribute is not required. It can be useful but in most cases, leaving it out shouldn’t be much of an issue."

Other mistakes
    Change the content to en_UK

You are using Yoast SEO, make a better home page title. "Home - As Good As New Wedding Dresses" just have "As Good As New Wedding Dresses - sell your dress"

Followed you on Twitter, but update your twitter profile. add the web address too and remove the crowdfunding links.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 By: webdesignnewcastle Member since: Jul 18, 2017
  7. Root 66 Woodshop

4,907 1,318
    @webdesignnewcastle - Really? Surely that isn't the idea for the website... sorry, but I disagree with this comment... the OP SHOULD NOT buy stock photo's because the users need to post better images or none at all... if anything they should be grabbing an image off the net of the actual dress that they're selling and post comment on any alterations and sizes only...

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  8. webdesignnewcastle

68 12
    haunted-worlds, you're encouraging people to take images, breaking people's copyright.

Copyright is a form of legal protection that is automatically assigned to content creators at the moment of creation. In other words, the moment you take a photograph, you own the copyright to it. You don’t have to register it with a special organisation, you don’t have to fill in a form or add a legal notice to the image. The rights to use, amend or sell that image are yours and yours alone.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Posted: Jul 21, 2017 By: webdesignnewcastle Member since: Jul 18, 2017
  9. fisicx

30,938 9,073
    The images are uploaded by the user. The problem is the CSS on the homepage not the image.
    So minor it's almost irrelevant compare to all the other ranking signals
    Not for placeholders and other images you don't need indexing.
    I doubt many people will be searching for 'As Good As New Wedding Dresses'. 'Pre-loved wedding dresses' is a better homepage title.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Root 66 Woodshop

4,907 1,318
    And you're telling people to buy them which are not the ones that they're selling? makes even more sense eh?

With regards to what I've suggested, there is nothing wrong with linking images... people do it all the time... they're only breaking copyright if they suggest that they took the photo.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  11. Steve Alphabet

Steve Alphabet UKBF Regular Free Member

190 48
    No, this is wrong. If you don't own the rights, then you are liable. Seen it happen many times, the client uses photos they found on Google Images, then they get a demand from Getty.

Stock photos should be the last resort, especially for smaller businesses where you need to be authentic in what you show on your website. Big companies can get away with stock pics because of their brand, but with the quality of mobile phone cameras now there's no excuse for having ecstatic office workers with Hollywood smiles or women laughing alone with salad (http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/) plastered over your site.

If you need stock images, use free sites like www.pexels.com or picjumbo. Some fantastic stuff there...

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: Steve Alphabet Member since: Apr 3, 2015
  12. webdesignnewcastle

68 12
    Other Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license image and vector images sites

(sorry can't post URL)

startupstockphotos
    pixabay which has images and vector images.

StockSnap
    cupcake
    foodiesfeed - food base images
    isorepublic
    bucketlistly - travel images
    magdeleine
    mmtstock
    fontsquirrel - fonts

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: webdesignnewcastle Member since: Jul 18, 2017
  13. fisicx

30,938 9,073
    Everyone is missing the point.

The images on the site are uploaded by the seller (just like eBay).

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,256 1,735
    Awful domain name - really - short & memorable and .co.uk if you are targeting UK ( which your home page search indicates ). I found some 6 letter appropriate domains in 5 seconds of thinking.

Awful pricing model - paid for ( ok free till the end of the year, but how much do people value free ) - it needs to be commission based - and that means you 'facilitating payment' like ebay does - there are too many 'free' options like gumtree / facebook / nextdoor so why would they pay you up front?

Not legal - as an ecommerce business ( that is what you are even if the price is zero and your are marketing other peoples stuff ) you need to have the business owner credentials (name of proprietor if ltd the reg details ) and trading address somewhere.

Very low chance of success unless you are really really planning to go to town on marketing, which probably means wedding fairs, visiting every bridal shop in the UK in person, cold calling gumtree advertisers and annoying them, running adwords campaigns. Even then you are likley to sink £50,000 into a blackhole.

However if you have bashed this up as a site to sell on flippa for a few hundred quid as a 'sure fire ready made business' then maybe ( personally my moral compass stops me ripping off the mugs on flippa, but I imagine it is easy )

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Root 66 Woodshop

4,907 1,318
    Some people just get so far up their own @rse they don't see what is being said to be honest @fisicx

As I said here...

And...here

Taking parts of a conversation and taking it completely out of context is typical of @upmyownarse.com TBH...

All you so called internet/website designer business chaps who have posted here offering suggestions (Other than @fisicx and @Alan ) have given the OP crap... and I mean CRAP advice, seriously look at what the website is offering to the USER... look at what the concept of the website is before you even consider posting your stupid answers... everything you've all said is utter codswallop!!

This is a website where people can sell their own SECONDHAND WEDDING DRESSES... What seriously makes it plausible to buy an image of somewhere like getty or any other source... to sell their wedding dress??!! You should all be ashamed and certainly retrained in your profession... Do you guys go on the likes of EBAY selling stuff buying images off getty because you can't be bothered to take your own photo? NO! So stop telling other people to do it.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  16. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,311 1,742
    The problem is you just can't trust people with uploading photos.

You may get people uploading their own photos of the dresses but you will also get people using the wedding photographers photos, photos of the dress that they saw in a catalogue, even photos of dresses that look similar.

Ebay, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. get away with this because they hide behind safe harbor, have their own legal teams and either make problems go away or cost it in to their business model.

Jo Smith creating a website and allowing people to upload photos to it is a different kettle of fish.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  17. fisicx

30,938 9,073
    I agree. But the whole point of the site is for punters to list their second hand wedding apparel. You can't control what they write or upload or even if they manage to get their own phone number wrong.

Go to just about any local/niche/cheap auction site and you see the same thing again and again,

On this site the actual images aren't blurred. It's the developer who has made a cock-up with the homepage images.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,311 1,742
    Yes, and they are all playing with fire.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  19. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,256 1,735
    I don't think they are getting it - the images are not blurred - the developer has got it wrong.

This is the actual base image of the Ian Stuart from the actual web site before the[​IMG] coder f**ked the code styling to make is display blurred.

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  20. Root 66 Woodshop

4,907 1,318
    I got it :D ;)

Even though I was told it's not allowed after posting... pfft! ;)

This guy has obviously grabbed an image off the t'internet rather than posting an actual image of the dress...

*FAN FAIR PLAYS* TADAAAA

:D :D :D

I'm not a developer/designer of websites... yet even I saw the flaws after viewing the website, obviously I didn't know that it was a coding issue... but with that said, I believe my post's are still viable... :D

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011