Holiday query

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Anne Herdman, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Herdman

Anne Herdman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi all, I'm new here so please bear with me.

I worked the May bank holiday last week and on receiving my payslip have been paid time and a half for the shift, but also have been paid an extra shift and had 1 day's holiday deducted from my annual allowance. It has happened to almost everyone at this site. None of us were told that this would be happening. We consider our holidays as precious. Can the company actually do this without telling us and what can we do about it now?

Posted: May 15, 2014 By: Anne Herdman Member since: May 15, 2014
  2. Onetouchteam

Onetouchteam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 3
    Hi Anne. From your post it sounds like they paid you in lieu of one of your days' holidays. They should not have deducted holiday from you and paid you in lieu of it without your permission. Another thing to be aware of is that all employees are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday per year, inclusive of bank holidays (which equates to 28 days for a 5 day per week employee in England). Your employer must not pay you in lieu of these holidays - you are required to take them as time off.

I would speak to your manager about this and see if you can resolve the situation informally. If that doesn't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, then you could raise a formal grievance.

Posted: May 15, 2014 By: Onetouchteam Member since: May 14, 2014
  3. Anne Herdman

Anne Herdman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the reply. I emailed the guy that does the wages at head office and was told to refer it to the general manager at our site so that he can do a collective feedback.

Posted: May 15, 2014 By: Anne Herdman Member since: May 15, 2014
  4. Onetouchteam

Onetouchteam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 3
    No problem, glad to have been of help.

Posted: May 15, 2014 By: Onetouchteam Member since: May 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.