General Business Forum Brought to you by Square

HMRC debt collectors ( LTD )

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Maz, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Maz

Maz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 2
    Hi all ,

Due to disput we had with previous accountant for not sending/filling account to company house on time we had to pay penalty , therefore changed him , so new accountant dealing with it , he picked up few payee mistake from 2016/17 also I was keep getting 2 different amount for the same period which make no sense to me at all . The previous accountant not in practice due to failed business so I can’t acces him .
    I’ve tried HMRC to explain but attitude stink if you owe money so I offered them installment while my new accountant get to button of it as I’m not prepared to overpay HMRC as I’m paying enough VAT/TAX already
    So, I have now got some women from HMRC debt collection agency adding everything up to over £3000 where i believe it’s only £600 if that .
    She now wants to list asset to get me to pay the full lot and Waite long enough until they deal with it to refund the money .
    I’m my opinion I should only pay what I owe .
    She don’t answer her phone / didn’t turned up for meeting to be explained the situation and I feel they are just bullying.
    What are the options to fight back ? As I can only pay what I really owe not a penny more
    I wouldn’t like to overpay them and Waite to get refund.
    Regards

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Maz Member since: Feb 1, 2018
  2. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,507 854
    Surely the first thing to do is get your affairs up to date so that you have an exact figure that you owe.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. ADW

ADW UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,110 166
    I would personally and from previous experience with HMRC, only get back in touch with them when you have full knowledge of where you are on the debts owed. Their job is to get in money no matter what. They are short staffed so the obvious targets are the ones they are in touch with. I wouldn't think they will spend too much time going out of their way yet to chase you. Just make sure you have exact figures before ringing up. If the person is obstructive and not really taking notice of your concerns, hang up and ring again. There are some good and helpful people you can get through to but it is pot luck.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: ADW Member since: Oct 25, 2007
  4. XombiCreative

XombiCreative UKBF Contributor Free Member

45 8
    Well it looks like you've had some bad luck with accountants, you really need to break everything down as simple as possible, and just figure out what the exact numbers are for 2016/2017, then give them a phone call.

You are probably absolutely right thinking £600, the problem is.......the debt collectors hmrc use to collect fee's are rather greedy and add a pretty big cut for themselves, so that probably why it's totaling £3000.

For future reference, it might be worth paying a bit more for a reputable accountant in the future, especially as it's costing you money/stress.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: XombiCreative Member since: Dec 20, 2017
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,145 1,026
    hmrc have a job to do

We need to understand that if they got involved in all the waffle that people come up with all day long they would not collect any tax they would just spend all day talking waffle !

That's why you need an accountant to report accurately or your affairs are simple enough to return yourself each year
    I agree with @STDFR33 get it right then report

Waffle ! That's what forums are for :)

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  6. CW Legal Services

CW Legal Services UKBF Regular Free Member

151 22
    Under law HMRC can only collect what they are entitled to. however, filing bad accounts does not preclude HMRC from isusing penalties or charginmg you what your accounts say you owe, even if iot is wrong. If your accountant has been negligent you can make a claim against him. Get a good accountant, file earlky and always put by your tax and Nat Ins liability by.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: CW Legal Services Member since: Jan 19, 2016
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,065 743
    Not so much overpay them rather them charge extra fees for penalties, action taken etc.
    Not their fault that you had a bad accountant, they didn't pick the accountant.

They will seek to get in the money owed. Get the sums corrected and may, and it is very much may, be able to negotiate on penalties.
    Had a boss whose tax demand dropped from £23k to just over £10k for a tax bill of £7k.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Maz

Maz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 2
    Thanks guys for advise
    The current accountant is charging me £1800 per annum and the previous one was the same , not sure how to find a spot on accountant to leagaly saves me some money
    In my experience all I’ve seen is most accountant rather look after the government money not trying saves money for business , simply they don’t care as they have so many other people
    I know a one man band lad look after 230 business
    How could possibly he cares about my affairs ?
    If you think you know spot on practice let me know as I’m getting new business and need a good firm

Regards

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Maz Member since: Feb 1, 2018
  9. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

8,887 2,263
    No accountant 'cares about your affairs'. There is no reason why a good accountant cannot deal with the affairs of 230 small businesses.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  10. KAC

KAC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

802 177
    I used to care and we had far more clients than that and we used to submit on time except for the odd client who didn't "care about his/her own affairs"

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: KAC Member since: May 7, 2017
  11. Mr D

7,065 743

You are the one who is supposed to care about your business. You have the responsibility.
    Your accountant works for you. Now imagine an accountant with relatively simple businesses to deal with so can deal with them quickly. How many should they look after?
    Obviously not just one, there would be no work for 99% plus of the year.

12. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,756 1,587
    If you want an accountant to act as your CFO expect to pay him £5,000 or £10,000 p.a. or more

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  13. Mr D

7,065 743

Just don't use the accountant who was Carillions finance guy. Not entirely sure he had attended any courses or had experience of business.

14. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,145 1,026
    I think its a bit unfair to say that an accountant works for the government . I have heard people say this quite a bit over the years
    If an accountant bends the rules and they get caught it wont be too good for them or the client !
    So what is the point in taking a chance accountants will do what is legal and what is best for the business . Taking a chance to make the director a packet is not a good plan for them and it is not best for the business

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,776 468
    The fact is that HMRC are entitled to estimate a bill if you can’t provide the most with accurate figures

They are also entitled to add fees and fines

Finally, they are entitled to enforce their bills

The onus is on you, the business owner to present them with full and correct information in a timely manner (im afraid your opinion on what they should or shouldn’t do it wholly irrelevant)

Stop fighting them, start working with them. Get an accurate figure. Present it to them with a realistic payment plan

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015