Help any constructive advice !!

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by chezi, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chezi

chezi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    Hi
    I have previously posted on here bout a few ideas of small business/sole worker ideas and had some feedback which I have taken onboard.
    I am looking into the pros and cons of a few other ideas I have and would like some constructive advice.
    Firstly an old fashioned dating agency with a personal touch rather than a computer based one. I have looked online and found that there are companys doing this kind of thing and charging an astronomical amount to sign up....and then monthly charges on top of this. I think these are looking for the professional market. Any advice?
    Secondly Fitness equiptment hire!! how many times do people buy expensive fitness gear only for it to end up as a clothes horse in the garage/ bedroom? Hire the equiptment for a set time for a set fee, no risk if you dont use it you just dont rebook it. If you use it arrange to buy the equipment you have been hiring.. Any comments

Thanks Lee

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: chezi Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

15,549 3,283
    I've just had a look at your other thread and I note a couple of posters advised you to do your sums. My first bit of advice is decide how much you can afford to lose. It can take time for a business to establish itself so you must have money available to suport it and yourself.

I've never tried a dating agency so I have no particular knowledge of that sector. However some thoughts are:

• know your target market
    • use the right medium to reach them - online/magazines/ads in local facilities
    • Don't take their money then ignore them
    As for renting fitness gear

• storage
    • insurance
    • transport for delivery and collection
    • The charge should give you an income plus an allowance for replacement of worn out machinery and an allowance for it standing idle
    Hoepfully some one else will be able to comment on the likelyhood of these ideas working.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Paul_Rosser

Paul_Rosser UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,537 1,107
    On the fitness machine hire, concept is good but you will need a lot of startup capital as you have to purchase all the machines first.

You will also need very good insurance, some sort of legal document stating should the user hurt themselves using your stuff then you don't get sued. Also some way of credit checking customers, or lots will simply move and keep your stuff.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: Paul_Rosser Member since: Jul 5, 2012
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

15,549 3,283
    When I've hired gardening equipment it's had a plate with the owner's name firmly fixed to it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  5. businessfunding

businessfunding Guest

0 0
    Better than nothing - but no assurance that kit won't go a-walking I'm afraid.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: businessfunding Member since: Jan 1, 1970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.