Hello from snowy Dunstable

Discussion in 'East of England' started by Pearce7141, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearce7141

Pearce7141 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    :rolleyes: hi, my names Ron and I am just starting my own business at 60 . Was made redundant from a certain red French haulier and , with the redundancy , am buying a new curtainsider trailer to tow behind a 4 wheel drive for either car or palletised delivery . For the life of me I cannot find any secure parking for this trailer close to hand . If anyone knows of a hard standing or barn near Dunstable I would be most grateful . I did contact the farmers union and a couple of local farms rang me up but I would need access to my trailer 24/7 . :eek:
    Am more than happy to receive emails with offers of advice . Being my own boss is all new to me .

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: Pearce7141 Member since: Apr 4, 2013
  2. NickJ

NickJ UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

980 211
    Welcome and the very best of luck in your new venture, I don't have any hardstanding for you however, sorry.

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: NickJ Member since: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 593
    Hi Ron, What a way to go at 60, Well done mate, you'll love it.

Welcome to the forums, a friend of mind kept his lorry locked up in some unit on an industrial estate, perhaps have a drive round, and if you see a place with a large area big enough for your truck ask if you can park there and offer them rent. Most companies would probably welcome a bit of extra pennies nowadays and you get your truck locked up safe. Be sure to ask for a key to the gate though ;)

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  4. Pearce7141

8 1
    Thank you for the advice . I do find myself much more aware of large gated areas in Dunstable now . Seem to get a twitch every time I pass gates now . :eek: most of the industrial units around here seem to be "to let" . Sign of the times I suppose. Would consider renting a small unit but even "small" ones are 100s of feet square.
    :|am putting all my faith in a good accountant . 60 is a bit late to leave the comfort of P.A.Y.E. am hoping H.M.R.C. Is not as scary as some say ;)

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Pearce7141 Member since: Apr 4, 2013
  5. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Hi Ron good luck,have you got work lined up.

If not I would think carefully before spending your redundancy on a trailer.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  6. Pearce7141

8 1
    Thank you Sirearl . I have some work offered , though only on a day to day basis . The reality is that being made redundant at 60 there is no work out there in the big wide world - hardly any for any age group - and I don,t want to spend the next 5 + years on job seekers , having to tell public servants what I have been doing every day to find a job . I have 40 years of experience in road transport behind me and plenty of energy to take this chance . I thank you for your concern but just getting up and stepping out of the front door is a risk . :) if this venture fails , there is always agency driving :mad::(

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Pearce7141 Member since: Apr 4, 2013
  7. Storage King

Storage King UKBF Newcomer Free Member

59 7
    Hello Ron and welcome,

We are a self stoarge company based on the Woodside Ind Est in Dunstable and we would be interested in finding out more about your business - maybe you could send us some details or pop in?

We do know of a place in Leighton Buzzard that may be able to help with secure parking of your trailer - I'll PM you with the details.

Good luck with your new venture.

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Storage King Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  8. Pearce7141

8 1
    Hello and thank you for getting in touch .
    I will be more than happy to call in and see if I can be of any help to you . The trailer is on order from Tyrone Snell in Falmouth as they build exactly to customers specifications . I am due to pick it up this month , as soon as it is built . They do have a very similar one on their website that they made for a local BMW dealership . I hope you will agree that it gives a great flexibility in the types of goods that can be carried . I have all the insurances in place . Am just waiting for the phone call from Cornwall . May I assure you that I will be in touch as soon as I have something to show you .
    Kindest regards.
    Ron Pearce
    Dunstable Light Haulage ltd

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Pearce7141 Member since: Apr 4, 2013
  9. Danny @ Source Servers Ltd

Danny @ Source Servers Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member

29 6
    Exciting times ahead of you, regardless of age , you sound like you have the right mentality for being self employed, and entrepreneurial. Good luck in your venture. :)

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Danny @ Source Servers Ltd Member since: Jan 6, 2013
  10. Pearce7141

8 1
    Thank you for your message . I wish I had joined you all years ago . I am sure I am not telling you anything new , but , isn't it great to think for yourself ! Like most employees of big companies , I have been told too many times "you're not paid to think , just do as you're told" . Oh I don't miss that :) . Thank you again . Ron

Posted: Apr 10, 2013 By: Pearce7141 Member since: Apr 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.