Health & safety gone mad? The Top 5 Tie Safety Tips

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by gary, Mar 19, 2007.

1. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

805 3
    WEARING a tie to work could kill hundreds of men each year – if you believe the health & safety scaremongers.

It was reported in the media this morning that Bramhall High School in Stockport has banned pupils from wearing ties, because they could be too dangerous. Instead youngsters must go to school wearing a clip-on tie, or no tie at all.

So Britain’s leading online tie retailer www.tiewarehouse.co.uk has issued its tongue in cheek Top 5 Tie Safety Tips:

The site’s Gary Baker said: “Offices are dangerous enough places, with paper cuts and stapler injuries to contend with. We sell thousands of ties each year, so feel it is our duty to protect the men of Britain with this guide”.

Tie Warehouse’s top 5 tie safety tips are:

1) Don't wear a tie in strong winds: it might wrap around your neck and choke you!
    2) Don't hover near lift doors when they are closing: your tie might stay on the ground floor while you head for the third floor
    3) Tuck your tie in your trousers before eating lunchtime soup: you may end up with no lunch as your tie gets all the soup
    4) Avoid complicated tie knots: you might develop RSI
    5) Don't run if your tie is lower than your belt: you might trip over it

Tie Warehouse was set up three years ago and now stocks more than 1,500 different types of ties and accessories.

Gary added: “Having their employees look smart at work is important to many businesses. We’re here to help keep the injury count down!”

ENDS

-------------------------------------------
    NOTES TO EDITORS
    · A Tie Warehouse spokesman is available for interview. Call 08452 303049. Or email [email protected]
    · Full press resources including images, logos and screenshots, are also available online at www.tiewarehouse.co.uk/press

Posted: Mar 19, 2007 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  2. apeebles

apeebles UKBF Newcomer Free Member

469 34
    Excellent! :D

Posted: Mar 19, 2007 By: apeebles Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  3. bizwiz

bizwiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Thanks for the great tips! :)

Posted: Mar 25, 2007 By: bizwiz Member since: Mar 24, 2007
  4. level200

level200 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

413 0
    On a similar tie related subject, I always find it annoying when male staff are told to wear a tie for work yet female staff are still allowed to turn up in what ever they like!!

I went to a gala dinner the other evening where the dress code was black tie/ lounge suit, every male looked identical but the women turned up in what ever they wanted.

Why is dress code so one sided and old fashioned!

Posted: Mar 25, 2007 By: level200 Member since: Jan 7, 2006
  5. gary

805 3
    Thanks for the replies - glad you found the tips useful ;)

It does seem a bit unfair, but women often say it's far more hassle for them because they have to choose an outfit for the occasion, and then hope it doesn't clash with someone else's! You also only have to look at movie premieres when the actresses are judged based on what they're wearing, whereas the men have it pretty easy in comparison. It does grind though when you have to wear a suit and tie to a function on a hot day, whereas women can wear pretty much whatever they want so they stay cool. So I suppose there are two ways of looking at it.

Posted: Mar 25, 2007 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  6. HelenBuckley

HelenBuckley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

690 0
    Plus those poor premiere-attending women have to go in outfits held together by safety pins and double-sided tape.

I'm surprised we don't see more "wardrobe malfunctions" :D

Nice article, btw!

Posted: Mar 30, 2007 By: HelenBuckley Member since: Jan 24, 2007
  7. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    fan flipping tastic release...

Posted: Mar 30, 2007 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  8. gary

805 3
    Thanks - Glad to be of service! ;)

Posted: Apr 2, 2007 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  9. Clare

Clare UKBF Newcomer Free Member

98 3
    Don't let H&S see this ... they'll be implementing new rules, just in case!!

On the local news recently was a slot showing two people standing in a stream - all of a foot deep, wearing lifejackets! A bit extreme.

Clare

Posted: Apr 13, 2007 By: Clare Member since: Jul 22, 2005
  10. welshnoonoo

welshnoonoo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 1
    lol! Love it - the world has definitely gone H&S crazy!

It'll be shoe laces next!

Posted: Apr 14, 2007 By: welshnoonoo Member since: Mar 1, 2006
  11. Gavin Harris

Gavin Harris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

886 65
    That wasn't the ITV Thames Valley news report on releasing Salmon back into the Thames a month or so ago was it? I remember seeing that - the reporter and guest stood in an incredibly shallow part of the Thames, where the water barely covered their feet, yet they were stood there with life jackets on. I remember thinking how useless the life jackets would be were they to "fall over"!

Good old Health and Safety - I was at Farnborough Air Show last year as part of the displays and was told off for going up a ladder. The reason: "I hadn't received official training on use of the ladder"! I'm sorry, but there's not too many ways to go up a ladder! I had someone at the bottom providing support for me.

It seems that there is no allowance for common sense anymore - you're deemed dangerous unless you've received training!

Posted: Apr 14, 2007 By: Gavin Harris Member since: Dec 13, 2006
  12. Treble 2

Treble 2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

121 2
    I know this may sound rather mad but I overheard a conversation the other day between two fathers of primary school kids.

They were astonished that the school was now saying that for Health and Saftey reasons that all the children's ties will now be clip ons as they are more safe to use and less prone to peanuts.

I couldn't believe it, all that over a school tie.

Posted: Apr 18, 2007 By: Treble 2 Member since: Jan 17, 2007
  13. niting

niting UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    hub
    hhhhhhh
    ]
    Code:
    sssfsfsd

Posted: Apr 18, 2007 By: niting Member since: Dec 5, 2006
  14. easyasit

easyasit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,264 51
    i am very sorry, but i could not agree with you more!

i used to work in an office where frankly woman were dressed ss if they were on holiday. Hawian shirts, mini skirts, and flip flops!
    I sat in a meeting where these woman winged about blokes not wearing ties. Enough said, i let them have it with double barrels.
    Not least i think and feel that flip flops should be outlaws as against health and safety policy!

Posted: Apr 21, 2007 By: easyasit Member since: Jan 7, 2006
  15. Smart Safety

Smart Safety UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Well as a Health and Safety consultant i might have to recommend to the HSE that we might tie this up with some new legislation ;).
    Knot to be scoffed at this tie business especially if you combine it with the snowball issues at school, and lets not get into the conkers debate:eek:.

On a serious note.
    I know that most of the information that we see in the media makes H&S look mad , but with some common sense and a little imagination we can all be a lot safer. I personally have seen business close and a large loss of jobs due to the management ignoring H&S issues, even after they have been told about it.
    The end choice is always ours, here is a question for you all:
    "Do you have to wear a seatbelt in a car" no matter what anyone says i am sure we have all seen someone without one on, and lets be honest even if it is a £20 fine and i might save your life, the choice is yours.

Alan Harte

Smart Safety Ltd

Posted: May 14, 2007 By: Smart Safety Member since: Jan 2, 2007
  16. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,742 6,639
    I think the debate could be a draw or maybe a ...............

Posted: May 14, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007