Has anyone ever used BillBoard Advertising? What was your experience?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by TheWebDesignCompany, Mar 11, 2019.

1. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

105 4
    Has anyone ever used BillBoard Advertising? What was your experience?

We are thinking of taking out a 3 month contract for a 48 sheet billboard advert for our web design services. But before we do we wanted to check good for reviews and experiences from others who had used a bill board to advertise.

Problem is we couldn't find anything except adverts for billboard advertising.
    So if you have any experience as an advertiser using billboard advertising we would love to hear from you...

Thanks,
    Joseph

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  2. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    Stupid phone changed “Google” to “good”
    We tried searching Google for experiences & reviews, and couldn’t find anything...

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  3. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,716 961
    If you have a strong strategic marketing plan to base you decisions and also the advert on, you will get good results. If you are just thinking you'll give it a go and hope for the best, you'll probably waste your money. Almost any advertising medium can work for almost any business type if it's done well. The problem is, advertising is very infrequently done well.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  4. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    I understand that Billboard advertising is better with 9 words or less?

We were thinking of simply showing our logo which you can see in my avatar "The Web Design Company" in the centre of the billboard with: "Do you need help with your website? - Call 07944062954"

Then in a softer grey or lighter blue list a few services like: Logos, New Websites, Fix Websites, Redesign Websites, Hosting, Search Engine Optimisation.

If we do it, it will be there for a minimum of 3 months.

5. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Full Member

465 67
    Imagine people driving past... Will they be able to remember a mobile number?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  6. AllUpHere

2,716 961
    That could have been written by absolutely any web design company in the world. You literally couldn't have been less original if you'd tried. As I pointed out in my last post, go back a few steps and work on strategy first. Your logo isn't exactly going to inspire confidence either is it.

Sorry to be critical, but putting the cart before the horse is just going to see you wasting your money.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  7. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    Interesting, I could use a local number instead - "01702 313495"
    They will know the 01702 anyway and only need to remember the 313495 part...

8. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    "That could have been written by absolutely any web design company in the world. You literally couldn't have been less original if you'd tried. As I pointed out in my last post, go back a few steps and work on strategy first. Your logo isn't exactly going to inspire confidence either is it.

Sorry to be critical, but putting the cart before the horse is just going to see you wasting your money
    ."

Don't apologise, i'm happy for any constructive guidance. Sales and marketing is not my thing.
    ive been building websites for 21 years and always relied on a simple clear - this is what we do approach.

The problem with a bill board is the 9 words or less...

9. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Regular Full Member

465 67
    Most people remember numbers in fours. You'll not get anyone phoning you. Your web address would be easier to remember... OR You could have a quick response shortcode mobile text number.

Billboard could be "TEXT 'WEB' TO 88998" in big white writing on a black background

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  10. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,315 241
    "BILL BOARDS DON'T WORK. GET A WEBSITE: TEXT 'WEB' TO 88998"

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  11. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    "BILL BOARDS DON'T WORK. GET A WEBSITE: TEXT 'WEB' TO 88998"

lol - thats good...

12. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    Has anyone actually got any experience with advertising on a Billboard?
    I want to know how you got on with it...

13. GURUCLOUD

GURUCLOUD UKBF Contributor Full Member

51 3
    Who are you using for the billboard contract? Are they a local or national player?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: GURUCLOUD Member since: Jun 15, 2018
  14. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,646 811
    In a past life I worked on many billboard campaigns for the likes of BA, Levis, Whitbread etc...
    They spent a small fortune on billboard advertising and a small fortune on the artwork/photography. They obviously thought it was worth it.

Depending on where you are there are other alternatives such as displays in shopping malls, tube train cards, etc.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  15. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4
    The billboard that we want to target is managed by a national company.

16. TheWebDesignCompany

105 4

Well any tips that you have I would be very glad of.
    We are just a small company with 2 branches, one in Southend and the other in London.

17. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,646 811
    Tube cards would give people a chance to write down your details. They also spend more time reading them so you can have a more complex message. A 16 sheet poster at Southend railway station is another possibility.

If you use a site that people can read over time you can be entertaining in your copy.

Whatever you do use a strong visual which people can remember and relate to.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  18. saythisinstead.co.uk

saythisinstead.co.uk UKBF Contributor Free Member

99 14
    I have many years experience of billboard advertising.

I also have experience of the motorway hoarding type advertising
    and petrol pump advertising.

Most of this type of advertising is used to sell the space.
    'Advertise here for only £xx a week'

That's really all I need to see to convince me what a complete and utter waste of money it would be. [Oh forgot to say...my experience is based on seeing this type of advertising and never once having responded to it]

I am willing to acquiesce if anyone has any evidence to the contrary......[crickets].....but I won't be holding my breath.

Save your money. If you DO decide against this advice then please come back and tell us how it worked out.

Message me if you want half a dozen better ideas free of charge.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 By: saythisinstead.co.uk Member since: Nov 30, 2017
  19. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,109 232
    I know I'm not the "average" person, but I would not choose a web designer from a billboard ad. There are various ways I might find a web designer, recommendation from a friend or colleague would be my first choice, following the link to the designer from a website I like would be another possibility.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  20. AllUpHere

2,716 961
    Billboards can work, but for services like web design they are pointless. Why spend money when you don't have to?

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014