Has anyone else had a big drop off in business since late January ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Feb 11, 2019.

1. pentel

pentel UKBF Regular Free Member

414 66
    We are really busy and have the biggest forward order book we have had for several years.

We are a manufacturing company and I do wonder if some of the work we are winning is because of the potential uncertainty of sourcing from other countries should / when brexit occurs.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 By: pentel Member since: Mar 12, 2011
  2. BristolBiz

BristolBiz UKBF Regular Free Member

146 41
    Without going into the Brexit debate, I wonder if businesses in general are thinking and doing more in this current climate of uncertainty, in an "adapt or die" sort of way.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: BristolBiz Member since: Nov 5, 2008
  3. pbdesigns

pbdesigns UKBF Regular Free Member

125 9
    Fascinated by those annoyed by it turning in to a Brexit thread, when Brexit is the biggest threat facing this country!

With big names pulling out of the country, and so much uncertainty around, consumer confidence will be low. There's now a realisation that jobs are at risk.

If we go No Deal, then expect major turmoil over the coming months.

Even Theresa May's deal just buys us two more years of negotiating the 'full deal', so expect the same uncertainty to continue.

Brexit is and will impact on business. Naturally, there will be some winners out of it, but expect lots of losers.

An interesting, bumpy ride ahead.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: pbdesigns Member since: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

568 59
    The reason I didn`t want to turn it into a generalised Brexit thread is there are a few of those on here already. The purpose of this thread is to determine whether or not anyone else has experienced the unprecedented down turn in sales I`ve had since about late January.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  5. Justin Smith

568 59
    One of my suppliers has said the same thing, they`re selling more into Europe now than at any time and he wondered whether that was because people were building up their stocks prior to Brexit in case there was a problem after it. The only problem with that, if it is indeed the explanation, is there`ll be the consequent downturn in demand later.
    We sell directly to the end user so would not be affected by wholesalers wanting to build up buffer stocks.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  6. pbdesigns

125 9
    That wasn't aimed at you - it was aimed at those who seemed to be trying to dismiss Brexit having any impact on the economy of the UK!!

Ultimately, it is the single biggest issue in the UK at the moment, and will be directly or indirectly responsible for lots of decisions.

I can see consumer spending being reigned in at the moment. Couple that with businesses averse to investments, and it's not a good outlook.

7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,298 3,187
    I think, as well, that despite government assertions to the contrary, there is not much money aound at the moment. For example, we need a new TV aerial, but put up with the slight inconveience of an indoor one, as it was the cheapest option.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,447 371
    I'm not so sure this is strictly true. I'm seeing loads of businesses in certain sectors investing in loads of new vehicles and machinery....
    One particular example is the forestry industry, where the weak pound as well as Biomass grant payments mean everyone is gearing up to service this year's felling contracts.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  9. pbdesigns

125 9
    What do you mean by 'strictly true'.

Overall, business investment is down. That doesn't mean all investment has stopped. But it has reduced. As I said before, there'll always be some winners. But if the losers outweigh the winners then we're not in a good place!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46646900

10. Gordon - Commercial Finance

1,447 371
    OK I see your point - business in general.
    I suppose all I'm saying is its not across the board.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  11. GTL

GTL UKBF Regular Free Member

182 31
    Feb for me was considerably quieter than January; as it appeared to be in my market town in the West.

However, yesterday I noticed two things.

Firstly my daily rate of sale of online consumer products quadrupled. And also my local pub had its busiest night of the year. It was rammed solid.

Obvious one day of sunshine doesn’t make a summer but I have rarely seen the impact of payday quite so marked.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 By: GTL Member since: Sep 18, 2017
  12. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,593 1,718
    Was talking to a retailer I use. He has been doing great the past couple of months and he expects this month to be his best yet.
    Because of people stocking up.

A chunk of his supplies come from outside the UK and the stuff that is from the UK often has components from outside.

He is expecting a really quiet year, possibly even ending his business at the end of the lease (September). He's sold well over half a year's worth of stuff in past 3 months.
    Once people have their stockpile he reckons they will draw it down before buying any more.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Mr D

15,593 1,718
    While February was quieter than January as expected, we had a couple of good days and a couple of quiet (no order) days. Pretty normal February, just over double the same month last year.

14. Justin Smith

568 59
    February was 40% down on last year, an unprecedented drop off the like of which I`ve never experienced in 25 years of business. Interestingly Online / phone orders were way down, but business in the shop was actually slightly up, but visitors to eth shop only make up a relatively small %age of our T/O. so that increase was no where near enough to compensate. Hits on the website did go down compared to last year but not by any where near 40%.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Posted: Mar 2, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  15. Justin Smith

568 59
    That makes sense, one or two of my suppliers have said the same, but that`s actually a big problem, most businesses want a steady demand.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  16. Mr D

15,593 1,718
    Yes - they want to know the year will have sales and that they can keep busy.
    Not turning over stock is a particular problem when the stock has a shelf life too - disposing of most of a carton of out of date stuff won't help sales of full price items either.

17. Justin Smith

568 59
    Anyone else experienced a further fall off in the last few weeks ?

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  18. Mr D

15,593 1,718
    March was 70% up on February for sales. So no.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. Gordon - Commercial Finance

1,447 371
    No - similar to Mr D, March was an incredible month, and April is shaping up nicely too.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  20. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

385 80
    Demand may have dropped for TV aerials and such because so many people are streaming instead?

I'll give you a perfect example: My dad has recently moved in to a supported housing block where the TV signal is shared throughout 30 dwellings. The signal is OK for normal digital but for HD it sucks. But, he and many of his neighbours watch mainly netflix, amazon and don't care - and we're not talking about young people here.

10 years ago there may have been enough complaints to necessitate an aerial upgrade - now, it's not even being suggested. Actually, some people are moaning about still having to contribute to a license at all - and they only pay a few quid each a year anyway.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019