Has anyone else had a big drop off in business since late January ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,466 1,702
    People talk down about fiddling.
    If a place is burning then having a fiddle sounds as effective as carrying a bucket of water.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,466 1,702

Risks don't have to be high.
    So long as properly managed. Look at the rise of Amazon in every market they enter...
    A company leasing some stuff, has shares etc.

A company that leases stuff doesn't have the exact same financial hit or problems as a company buying stuff. Managed for that business then no reason why company should not prosper, all other factors being taken account of.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

568 59
    Not sure what you mean here TBH.
    Do you mean express enthusiasm for it or do you mean be optimistic about it (whether or not there`s much evidence for that optimism) ?
    In either case it could be argued the Govt should be doing both those things, but, in actual fact they are doing them, it`s just nobody believes a word any politician says any more, particularly this Govt.
    If you mean the media should be expressing optimism / enthusiasm I don`t agree with you, you`re effectively arguing for censorship there.
    The fact is nobody, and certainly not the public, thought we`d end up being where we are, i.e. facing a no deal Brexit with nothing sorted and only 5 weeks to go. It`s the most shambolic government in living memory, probably in history.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  4. VickyToria

VickyToria UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    I am looking for a good wholesaler in the UK for Grade A ladies and kids clothes. Please help!
    We are a new start-up looking for a good supplier in the UK. Ladies clothing and shoes Kids clothing and shoes. I'll appreciate any help I can get

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: VickyToria Member since: Jan 22, 2019
  5. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,524 962
    January was on par with the last 2 years.
    February, we have written as much as we did in 2017 already. We are half way to what we did in 2018 with loads of enquiries and half the month left, so no reason as to why we can not do the same as in 2018.
    We already have cases lined up for April (the new tax year) so at the minute we are looking like 2019 will be at the very least average. But I have made a conscious effort to fill my boots before Brexit so that if it does slow us down, at least we have broke the back of what we need by April time.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  6. Lucky8

Lucky8 UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 14
    But that isn't a fact, is it? Many Leavers expected to do just that, and leave, only paying any exit fees. The whole "deal" thing is the language of the Remainers in the first place, of which May and her negotiators are many. Doing a "deal" with Europe wasn't anything most Leavers ever thought would be happening, not least waste 2 years over it.

Not in history, but it's certainly up there as completely shambolic.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Lucky8 Member since: Jan 17, 2019
  7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,414 2,108
    Why was this not thought of and sorted prior to starting up, I can only assume you did not make a business plan

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  8. Justin Smith

568 59
    I was making half an effort to avoid this becoming a Brexit thread, but I cannot let that comment pass. Time without number, during the referendum campaign, I heard Brexiteers saying "we`ll get a free trade deal (strong sub text more or less as good as now) because we buy more from them [the EU] then they buy from us". The idea that 96% of Leave voters (the relevant statistic in a 52/48 vote) were actually expecting us to leave with no deal, and in fact would still have voted Leave had they known that would be the outcome, is absolutely laughable. In fact I`d go further, the fact so many Brexiteers openly come out with such patent rubbish (not that I`m saying that is what you`re saying) is part of the reason I have no respect for them.

9. Justin Smith

568 59
    Funnily enough I had a property maintenance firm round today to give me an estimate for my workshop flat roof [DIGRESSION ALERT : flat roofs are an absolutely crap idea and IMO should be banned under the building regulations.....]. I`ve used them a fair number of times and they told me that, unusually for them, they`re very quiet at the moment. I believe them more than I believe what others in my own trade tell me because, to be quite honest, there are a lot of business people who do not want to admit (to others in their business) that they`re slack.

10. pelparc

pelparc UKBF Regular Free Member

265 34
    If you are experiencing a massive drop in sales, use the extra time to do something productive. Review your website, make it mobile friendly look at the products you sell etc. Are more people just streaming content rather than watching via an aerial? Its pointless and a waste of time whinging on like a 4 year old about something you cant change. Do something you can. Since the beginning of the month our sales have picked up in our consumer based business, so much so we have now actually had a better February already than we did last year.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: pelparc Member since: Apr 10, 2017
  11. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,996 1,066
    You can't base an opinion on the economy on such a tiny sample size. The difference in being quiet and busy for a flat roofing company can simply be coincidence, luck, or a couple of extra people seeing the van around and deciding to get a quote.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  12. Lucky8

Lucky8 UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 14
    I never heard, nor do I know of a single Leave voter who said we should enter into any sort of trade deal negotation as a condition of leaving. What I did hear was that would expect to enter into negotiations to conduct trade deals after we leave, as we do with other nations round the world.

Why? Leavers didn't ask for any brexit negotiations whatsoever - that's a Remainer outcome. Leavers didnt' ask for 2 years of some of the most messed up diplomatic humiliation and uncertainty this country has ever known - that's a Remainer outcome. Leavers didn't ask for any dealmaking whatosever - that's a Remainer demand.

What's laughable - and pitiful - is that a nation that is leaving the EU is doing any dealmaking with the EU in the first place before we've even left.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: Lucky8 Member since: Jan 17, 2019
  13. Justin Smith

568 59
    Needless to say I do not agree with you whatsoever, and, what is more I have a huge number of arguments to support my contention, but in a belated effort to prevent this thread just becoming a Brexit argument I will refrain from stating them.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  14. Justin Smith

568 59

Three points :

There are far too many people who just accept stuff without whinging / complaining, as an example airlines have managed to persuade many (most) travellers that it is reasonable for them to pay significant amounts of money just to have the ability to choose where they sit, something which costs the airlines absolutely sod all.

I actually started this thread to try and find out if the massive fall off in business we are experiencing could be down to factors outside of my industry, principally Brexit. Basically I`m worried sick and losing sleep, I need some information to try an alleviate that concern...….

You are of course correct that aerial sales are going down, I`ve been expecting that for years. Basically the trend is for T/O to drop at about 10% a year, which would last me out till I retire because I cannot be arsed to change the direction of my business yet again (it`d be the 4th time). TBH probably more significant than the fall off in demand for aerials is the fact people on E Bay are selling stuff (admittedly less good quality stuff) for ridiculous prices, I don`t know how they make any money at all.
    The 40% drop off since late January is, however, a totally different ballgame and totally unprecedented. It throws into question the viability of my business now, never mind if it`ll last out till I retire.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,062 220
    No its nothing to do with Brexit.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Stay calm and carry on as you were.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  16. Justin Smith

568 59
    Easier said than done, particularly as most things look even more worrying at 3.00AM in the soddin` morning...….

17. Caraleyli

Caraleyli Banned

4 0
    I haven't found the reasons yet, but I had a decreasing revenue of 25%.
    I am going to find a consultant to solve the problem

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 By: Caraleyli Member since: Feb 13, 2019
  18. VickyToria

7 0
    Uhmmm are you here to offer assistance or majority to criticize?

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 By: VickyToria Member since: Jan 22, 2019
  19. VickyToria

7 0
    *majorly

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 By: VickyToria Member since: Jan 22, 2019
  20. VickyToria

7 0
    Are you here to offer assistance or majorly to criticize? Why bother?

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 By: VickyToria Member since: Jan 22, 2019