General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Has anyone else been hit by the Fedex takeover of TNT ?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Justin Smith, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,165 1,762
    This could mean that you might get less boxes in the cage as there is a two inch thick pole in the way
    You wont beat them

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  2. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

789 104
    The 6ft pole is 1.25" in diameter, not two inches, but, since all the boxes are different sizes anyway, (and almost certainly not carefully put in by people with the skill of dry stone wallers to maximise how full the cage is) it`s a bit irrelevant anyway......

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  3. JEREMY HAWKE

5,165 1,762
    You do like arguing with people :)

I recommend Tuffnels for a business like yours . Your just not happy with you current supplier

4. Justin Smith

789 104
    Tuffnells, and similar carriers like DX freight, aren't suitable for us because we send relatively small orders (value wise), at least 50% to residential addresses. The cost of those kind of freight carriers are only worthwhile if the value of the order is into the £100s of pounds or you need to ship a really large item (e.g. a 20ft pole) particularly to a business address. Though the definition of a business address can become quite subjective, is a farm a business address ? How about a pub ?

And I don`t actually like arguing with people, particularly if it`s not going to get me anywhere. I wasn`t aware we were arguing anyway, I thought we were debating how carriers charge for their services and why.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

5,165 1,762
    Talk to your local APC depot

6. NJH149

NJH149 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We are in the same situation as you by the sounds of it Justin, we send out somewhere in the region of 25-30 consignments a day the vast majority of which are "oversize" and have just started to be penalised, Have you found any alternatives? We are actively looking at the moment.

Our business is based on sending out parcels like this so like you extremely frustrated to have this surcharge applied by stealth!

Posted: Feb 28, 2019 By: NJH149 Member since: Feb 28, 2019
  7. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

199 32
    Going potentially against the grain here but we use TNT and have found their prices reasonable. Most of the stuff we sell is boxed at 1.83 x 0.93 x 0.04 (weight of 7kg) and always attracted the oversize surcharge. We strap them up and send them in pairs. The thing that bugs me is the £2.50 residential surcharge. But our average shipping cost per consignment is around £15 and with larger shipments my cost per item shipping is as low as £6. We're probably not a massive account with them (yet) as we send out around 10 consignments per day but I hope to get the prices down as we do more volume of sales.

I thought they had also changed their volumetric rules at the same time so only items over certain dimensions were billed volumetrically.

We used Panther before and looked at Tuffnells etc but were scared of them after our experiences with Panther.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  8. Justin Smith

789 104
    Have you both had a word with your TNT/FedEx reps ? It was implied their definition of what constitutes a non conveyable item can be flexible.
    I do very much agree that FedEx`s * introduction of the new non conveyable definition (to TNT`s customers) has been handled appallingly. Not only did they slip its introduction into the small print of the annual list of rates but we`re still waiting for the gospel as to what exactly constitutes an un-conveyable item, and that`s over two months after it was introduced.

* Because it is down to FedEx. When TNT introduced their surcharge for items over 1.6m back in July 2015 they sent a rep round to make sure we knew about it then gave us 3 weeks notice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Posted: Mar 1, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  9. Guy Incognito

199 32
    We got sent through the new rates but no one contacted us to explain it. Most of what we send previously attracted this surcharge anyway. We sell some things at 120cm which don't but everything else is at 180cm which does.

But there are so many surcharges, and then you get certain things charged volumetrically (and this has now changed as well).

I want to get my £2.50 residential surcharge lowered as at least 80% of our orders go direct to clients. But we need to be doing more volume with them.

As we include shipping in our prices this is something I have to stay on top of.

Having said all of that, I am generally pleased with TNT. Very few breakages and mis-routings.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  10. Justin Smith

789 104
    Yes you`re right of course, the 1.8m item would have attracted the surcharge before anyway.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  11. Owesdr

Owesdr UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 0
    I find that those are such a huge systems that last thing to think for them is to inform customers about changes in pricing. There is no any significant competition now, the rule of monopoly is in place

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 By: Owesdr Member since: Nov 21, 2018
  12. pentel

pentel UKBF Regular Free Member

473 82
    "We strap them up and send them in pairs"

It seems that strapped parcels now attract a surcharge.

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 By: pentel Member since: Mar 12, 2011
  13. Justin Smith

789 104
    We seem to have been hit by that too. Why on God`s earth should two parcels taped together attract a non conveyable surcharge (assuming they`re still within the max size and weight limits) ?
    We`ve noticed there`s no consistency anyway. On our last TNT/FedEx invoice there were 4 cons in a row all with disputable n/c surcharges. One we hadn`t been charged when we should have been, two which we should never have been charged under any definition we`ve seen, and one was debatable either way. Who is applying these surcharges ? From our experience it must be a human who is making loads of mistakes. Either way every customer should be going through their invoices checking whether the n/c surcharges have been reasonably applied, remember they`re £4.95 (plus 8% fuel surcharge= £5.35) each.

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  14. JEREMY HAWKE

5,165 1,762
    I am not sure if there has been a change in pricing . The over sized and oddly packed parcels have probably always been part of the terms and conditions . They have just decided now to capitalize on these terms . This is probably due to so many consignments in the system being over size that they have to run extra trunk trucks overnight and they don't like it when they have to do this
    In the old days pre internet we used to pick up a two tonne pallet from North Devon a couple of times a week and take it to the local Business Post depot . Their agreement at the time was just a parcel collection every night !

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Justin Smith

789 104
    No there`s been a significant change. Before, when it was TNT, the only thing subject to a surcharge (other than volumetric charges) were items over 1.6m in length. An objective measure that everyone could agree on. Now that`s dropped to 1.4m, but worse than that, far worse, is all the other conditions. In fact it`s so complicated as to what constitutes non conveyable that I don`t think anyone actually understands it * and I suspect it`s made up on the spot by some bloke at the depot. He`s often wrong, and that matters when the surcharge is £4.95 ( plus 8% fuel surcharge) per item.

* e.g. a pole under 1.4m is, to some FedEx employees non conveyable "because it can roll off the conveyor". Our Rep helpfully suggested we tape a thick piece of cardboard to them so they can`t then roll, BUT we`re still getting n/c surcharges ! So, basically, it`s a subjective load of bollox which nobody understands. In fact what FedEx make in extra charges they probably lose in extra admin time as we query all the non/conveyable surcharges which we don`t agree with, which is most of them !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Posted: Mar 29, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  16. Guy Incognito

199 32
    Regarding the strapping together, by looking at my bills I don't think that is in addition to the non-conveyable surcharge. We haven't been hit twice by surcharges - ie if it is non-conveyable for multiple reasons you only pay the one surcharge.

I agree about checking bills regularly. I had one outlier the other week - they clearly got a a decimal point in the wrong place and wanted to charge me for 270kg rather than 27. Stood out like a sore thumb on the invoice!

I can't comment on how they were more than a year ago - for our business and item size they are cheaper and more reliable than the others we have either used or explored using.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  17. Justin Smith

789 104
    To be frank, there`s an argument that checking all ones invoices is good for all businesses so you`re not only saving yourself money but doing your civic duty / gaining Karma as well ! If everyone checked all their invoices (esp carriers, who, in my experience are the most prone to errors, usually over charges.....) and then disputed them, the suppliers would be less likely to make errors in the first place. Better for you personally, but also for everyone else !

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  18. Guy Incognito

199 32
    Quick follow up to this - going to meet with my account manager soon to see if I can get our rates down. What sort of spend do you have to be hitting to move to more preferable rates? We're currently on the £5k every 3 months tariff but we're probably closer to £30k every 3 months.

Posted: May 5, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  19. JEREMY HAWKE

5,165 1,762
    You have a decent output .It can also depend on location and other factors If they have a vehicle with space at the end of each day on your industrial estate they maybe looking to discount you freight to keep the volume

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Posted: May 5, 2019 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.