Halfords next to go???

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ryansrs1, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draugen

Draugen UKBF Regular Free Member

344 51
    Blimey, well I wouldn't be surprised if Halfords is on the way out!

I stopped off at a local branch yesterday evening. Staff were all engrossed in messing about with the selection of car stereos, certainly far too busy to help out a customer. Anyway, I made my selection then had to wait for several minutes at the till for anyone to come and take my money!

They may have a bigger selection than the local motor shop, but I know I can walk in there and get the service and advice I'm looking for. I actually can't remember the last time a major retailer seemed so reluctant to take my money!

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 By: Draugen Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  2. Martin P

Martin P UKBF Newcomer Free Member

343 80
    Could something happen to Threshers do you think?

The 2 I have been in recently were VERY understocked (on NYE!), I know it's a franchise, but are people staying away from them? After all they aren't all that cheap...

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 By: Martin P Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  3. maria102

maria102 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,633 469
    I looked at a Threshers shop last year to let (which is still available) - apparently they are closing some of them down to concentrate on their 'wine shops' - as far as supplying some booze goes they can't compete with the supermarkets (or so the agent told me)

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 By: maria102 Member since: Oct 25, 2005
  4. Draugen

Draugen UKBF Regular Free Member

344 51
    Actually, has anyone seen anything mentioned about Instore/Poundstretcher?

I find it hard to believe they can be coping at present. They have very little to offer over the cheaper Pound Shops and the likes of Home Bargains, and they seem to lack any real focus a la Woolworths, except they don't have the audio/video and pick & mix to keep them going!

I own a store that shares a site with one of their stores and know that on occasion they have taken less than £200 a day! :eek:

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 By: Draugen Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Guest

0 0
    Threshers was not in essence a franchise....what they did was to blackmail their managers of the unprofitable shops a year or two back by telling them that the only way to keep their jobs/shops was to take on a franchise! - and they have since been trying to con the general public into taking on franchises on other unprofitable shops too.... I had a booze business a few years ago , and heard a lot of grumbling in the industry media.

(isnt the franchise trade wonderful - all you have to do to legitimize a scam is to call it a franchise! - then it becomes whiter than white.)

No doubt these ex managers having traded in their pension funds to buy the shops have now run out of all their savings too.....so are now about to go bust

They never could compete with bargain booze. - and yes these booze chains can go under.....unwins went 3 years ago

this is the same model that pub chains are using....take peoples savings to move into a pub....strip them of all they have to run it for two more years with overpriced forced purchase agreements. If they do make a profit put up the rent till they dont....and then when they go bankrupt sell the "franchise" to the next mug.

One of my mates owns a free house and was in court for his renewal when he heard a magistrate tell the brewery of a new applicationthat as far as they were concernet, this was the last tenant they would EVER approve....the magistrates knew what was going on but were powerless to stop it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
    Posted: Jan 7, 2009 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. dsigner

dsigner UKBF Newcomer Free Member

375 55
    Come on Keith,
    This is the general business forum. I am sure that the facts and figures on Halfords are mightily impressive but what do they actually mean?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 By: dsigner Member since: Jun 6, 2008
  7. creospace

creospace UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,932 188
    Halfords staff should start looking for another job?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 By: creospace Member since: Oct 31, 2005
  8. Eplaygaming

Eplaygaming UKBF Newcomer Free Member

96 10
    Thats interesting about Threshers.

I walked past our local shop yesterday and thought it was unusual that all the advertisng posters etc were down...

I'm going to have to walk past again today and find out.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 By: Eplaygaming Member since: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Barnie

Barnie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

672 114

poundstretcher have bought some of the woolworths stores in southwales so cant be doing that bad if they are expanding in current climate

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 By: Barnie Member since: Aug 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.