H Tags for Ecommerce

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Toon, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toon

Toon UKBF Contributor

862 12
    Can you settle an argument for me please. Our SEO company is adamant that all pages on an ecommerce site should still have at least 2 H Tags. Our senior developer suggests that H Tags aren't relevant on product pages but still agrees that CMS, category and splash pages should have H Tags and that they will automatically be generated by Magento.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: Toon Member since: Jul 17, 2004
  2. StephenSumner

StephenSumner UKBF Regular

150 43
    From an SEO angle, they are desirable but not essential to the success of an SEO campaign.

They might also be useful from a usability perspective, I'm thinking users with audio browsers etc.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: StephenSumner Member since: Oct 15, 2016
  3. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    For optimal SEO results - each page should have one single instance of H1 and additional H2 - H6 tags should be added as necessary to best represent the document flow.

There is an often an noticeable impact on rankings if the H1 pertains to keywords you desire a page to rank for.

I've personally seen best results, when the URL, H1, Meta Title & Meta Description match the intended Search phrase for a given page.

This would also apply to products.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  4. justinaldridge

justinaldridge Full Member

669 254
    Most sites will have an H1 as the page heading but additional heading tags (H2, H3, etc.) are only necessary if the page dictates it, for example, if you have a lot of content and want it structured in a logical format.

However, a page doesn't need any H tags at all to rank.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    - Note the word "Optimal".

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  6. SEOpie

SEOpie UKBF Regular

122 40
    Yeah, I think really this comes down to good web design practice, rather than solely SEO.

Product names on product pages should be H1 headings, as this defines the primary content of the page. Parts of the product description could (should?) be H2 headings, but it isn't imperative.

Although I'm not a developer in any sense of the word, I don't agree with this:
    Purely because a product page is just a web page, and serves to provide information just like any other. Good page structure based on accepted programming methods leads to more intuitive and simple coding. The generalisation this statement suggests isn't particularly useful.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: SEOpie Member since: Oct 16, 2014
  7. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Ace

1,046 149
    Most importantly each site pages must have an H1 and if needed H2....H4 etc. but it doesn't mean it has to do with rankings. Create the pages according to your target users needs and expectations so that it will have a good signal to the search engines.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  8. rf-harris

rf-harris UKBF Contributor

84 11
    Heading tags are important and do make difference with SEO so you should be using them. When it comes to SEO side of your website, you should follow advise of your SEO rather than the developer :)

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: rf-harris Member since: Apr 19, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.