H Tags for Ecommerce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you settle an argument for me please. Our SEO company is adamant that all pages on an ecommerce site should still have at least 2 H Tags. Our senior developer suggests that H Tags aren't relevant on product pages but still agrees that CMS, category and splash pages should have H Tags and that they will automatically be generated by Magento.

For optimal SEO results - each page should have one single instance of H1 and additional H2 - H6 tags should be added as necessary to best represent the document flow.

There is an often an noticeable impact on rankings if the H1 pertains to keywords you desire a page to rank for.

I've personally seen best results, when the URL, H1, Meta Title & Meta Description match the intended Search phrase for a given page.

This would also apply to products.

Upvote 0

justinaldridge

Legacy Full Member
Sep 26, 2013
Sussex
artemis.marketing
Most sites will have an H1 as the page heading but additional heading tags (H2, H3, etc.) are only necessary if the page dictates it, for example, if you have a lot of content and want it structured in a logical format.

However, a page doesn't need any H tags at all to rank.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SEOpie

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Kent
www.seopie.co.uk
Yeah, I think really this comes down to good web design practice, rather than solely SEO.

Product names on product pages should be H1 headings, as this defines the primary content of the page. Parts of the product description could (should?) be H2 headings, but it isn't imperative.

Although I'm not a developer in any sense of the word, I don't agree with this:
H Tags aren't relevant on product pages
Purely because a product page is just a web page, and serves to provide information just like any other. Good page structure based on accepted programming methods leads to more intuitive and simple coding. The generalisation this statement suggests isn't particularly useful.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu