H&S and Business Admin Support

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by ErinMP2512, Jun 14, 2020.

1. ErinMP2512

ErinMP2512 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi All,

I am considering setting up on my own (initially part time alongside my existing job) offering general business administration and health and safety support to small businesses and tradesmen. I am Nebosh qualified and have over 12 years H&S experience under my belt. I also hold a level 4 qualification in business administration.
    I recently helped friends who run a facilities maintenance company set up a H&S system from scratch and gain Safe Contractor accreditation. I now support them with developing RAMS, Construction Phase Plans, etc which has helped them gain more clients.
    I really enjoyed doing this and It was a great learning curve for me! I am thinking of offering similar help as well as help with general admin tasks to other small businesses and trades, with a view to seeing if this is something I could make an income from.
    Does anyone have any advice or tips? Also I’d be keen to hear from small businesses/trades if this is something they think could be a useful service?
    Any feedback will be appreciated and thanks for reading!

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 By: ErinMP2512 Member since: Jun 14, 2020
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,636 586
    It is a long time since I worked in construction but witnessed the transformation over a ten year period regarding the adoption of modern H&S standards, led mostly (in my humble opinion) by the introduction of CDM. Just a shame that standards of workmanship didn't follow?

However, it's obvious that many one man and two man operations are still pretty much ignorant of H&S legislation and, in particular, their own responsibilities and liabilities when things go wrong. The same goes for contract admin in general.

In theory, this gives you a great market to sell to but convincing these people they need your services is the difficult bit.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Posted: Jun 14, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

370 133
    It's a great idea and there is without a doubt a huge demand for it.

I know someone who runs a consultancy helping trades gain their safe contractor accreditation status and he does very well.

My advice would be to draw up a list of target clients that you would want. Things like their trade, company size and turnover etc. Put together together some really compelling case studies about trades you have already helped and then get on the phone to your targeted trades and introduce yourself.

Good luck with it all

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  4. ErinMP2512

ErinMP2512 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thank you so much for the positive responses! It’s making me think my idea to set up might be worth giving a go.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 By: ErinMP2512 Member since: Jun 14, 2020