Gutenberg integration into current site

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Tony89, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Tony89

Tony89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,

I recently started in a small NGO the development company think the public website starting with the homepage (which is being slightly redesigned by them ) should be integrated with Gutenberg editor as would give us more control and is the future of WP with support for classic editor finishing in 2022. All blocks will be integrated and core Gutenberg blocks will be styled to match the NGO brand guidelines.

They have provided a quote for creating blocks in the homepage hero etc and creating a new homepage template. Currently they are using Advanced custom fields on the homepage but want to change this to Gutenberg blocks, my question is what would be the benefit of implementing Gutenberg?

It wouldn’t give us more control of the homepage would it apart from being able to add some features such as buttons for example? Why would integrating Gutenberg be such a big job over 40 hrs I believe with some new blocks being added and a bit of styling? Why not just keep the ACF elements? Also, Gutenberg has got some pretty bad reviews so am wary of it.

If someone could give some advice who is much more knowledgeable than me I'd much appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Posted: Dec 12, 2019 By: Tony89 Member since: Dec 12, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,348 9,570
    It's not 40 hours.

If you have the latest version of wordpress can can build a new page using blocks and just change the settings to make this your homepage.

Whay you can do is simplify the homepage to make it more responsive. This will make managing the page much easier.

Once you get the hang of blocks they are really easy to use. Total time to rebuild your homepage: 1hour.

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Tony89

Tony89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for your response, is it as simple as downloading the gutenberg plugin and it will be integrated into the site? Or is there dev work around integrating it with the bespoke theme etc?

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 By: Tony89 Member since: Dec 12, 2019
  4. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,495 1,786
    OK a few things - Gutenberg is already in WordPress - you don't have to do anything ( except perhaps remove the plugin that is reverting to Classic Editor )

ACF is a great product - it already has tools to build custom blocks.

There is work to be done, but 40 hours sounds a lot - that sounds like the time to design & build from scratch rather than 'tweak' stuff to work well with Gutenberg. But of course we don't know the full project scope.

If in doubt, get some quotes from others.

Although I don't have the advantage that @fisicx has of knowing your domain, so I can't really say if the 1 hour estimate is realistic especially is there are custom ACF blocks to build etc but if it is simple then it could be.

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,348 9,570
    You don't need to download anything. Gutenberg was the name of a pluign you could install before WP V5. All current version of wordpress let you create pages using blocks.

It's possible your theme has got the classic editor installed which is why you don't see any blocks when you create/edit pages.

If you want someone to take a look at you site just ask

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006