Greener delivery method

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Stuart Hendry, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Hendry

Stuart Hendry UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hello,

I am looking for a way to improve the environmental impact of our delivery system. We currently send most orders from a warehouse in China to the UK via plane.

I would be keen to know more details about sending goods either via sea or by rail in terms of pricing and timings required for delivery on these methods.

I am conscious that many of our customers are motivated to have as cheap and as quick a delivery as possible but I would really love to avoid using plane transport as much as possible.

I really appreciate any help or advice on this in advance.

Stuart

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 By: Stuart Hendry Member since: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,570 777
    Fundamentally, moving stuff from China to the UK is a very ungreen thing to be doing.

But it has been going on for a long time - it is how trade works. And given that a clipper on the high seas is not really terrible quick or secure, the payoff is going to be simple.

Plane is quick. Sea or rail is very slow. With added slowness. And potentially even less green.

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  3. Stuart Hendry

Stuart Hendry UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the input Paul, I am also looking at finding a suitable producer closer to our customer base but that is also a tricky task so finding a way of cutting CO2 for delivery would be a good thing to do in the meantime.

Rail can get goods to the UK in 2 weeks and so I feel for a proportion of our customers would be happy to defer to this service if they knew it would be a lot greener (which it undoubtably would), and also cheaper as estimates are at about half the price of using air transport.

Sea would cut the impact down even further but would be more like a month for delivery which for most customers would be too long.

I have found the general information on figures but have not had any luck finding a suitable shipping partner so the help I am after would be to hear from people who already use either of these methods or have similar experiences.

Cheers

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 By: Stuart Hendry Member since: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

343 67
    There was a feature on BBC news a few weeks ago when the first containerised freight train travelled from China to the UK. This will be a regular event. Haven't any other details but maybe researching on the BBC website might be fruitful?

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,744 2,029
    May be an expensive option and would have tax implications, but could you store in the UK?
    Then customers get stuff quicker and you can use whatever method to top up uk base.

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. The next Steve Jobs

The next Steve Jobs UKBF Regular Free Member

175 14
    Truth be told there is very little difference in terms of environmental impact across all mainstream methods of shipping

ships need ports, trains need tracks, planes need runways, trucks need roads

It can even be cheaper to ship by sea from China than it is to drive 1/100th of that distance by truck

IF your products are small and light enough to travel by plane then u may well be using the optimum method allready ... a closer manufacturer the obvious solution

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 By: The next Steve Jobs Member since: Mar 19, 2018
  7. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

343 67
    I foresee a future where products will be 3D printed only. The seller will have the printers in their country (or sell the printers to the consumer) and merely sell the files from the cloud. I doubt that I will alive to see it!

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.