Grant help for taking on 22+ year old?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by 5leeper, Oct 11, 2019.

1. 5leeper

5leeper UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 1
    Hi,

Ive been contacted by someone (age around 22-26) who has expressed an interest in learning my trade (Automotive Upholsterer & Restorer)
    It is a highly skill job and will take years to master (but you are continually learning).

While I’m impressed that they would like to peruse this path, the downtime to teach will impact on the business as its small.

In the past have had discussions with Collages who were looking to place someone with me, but there are no courses that covers what I do or come close.
    Yes, you can go on a sewing and pattern making course, but this is for cloth and not leather. Also, this will only represent around 10% (if that) of what’s involved.

My work is typically classed as something you only learn on the job.
    So, would we look at apprenticeship or training on the job?

Its just getting to grips with grants available and the requirements.

Many thanks…J

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: 5leeper Member since: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Regular Full Member

394 111
    What is the advantage to you?

Do you expect to have sufficient work at the end of the apprenticeship period that you can employ the apprentice and grow your company?

What do you do with surplus work currently?

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  3. 5leeper

14 1
    Releasing me from the more basic parts to concentrate on the more complex.
    Having someone on the preparation for the internal customer to take forward to the next stage
    Raise productivity eventually. But there are many factors that can disctate this.
    Having someone with the allround skills is notoriously hard in our trade.

4. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,295 237
    Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  5. 5leeper

14 1
    Hi Buster,
    Thank you for the reply
    Thats the problem, aimed at the saddle makers and textile items.
    Just glancing at the overview, there are some good skills to learn, but most if it would be no good for our line of work.
    As an example.
    Leather. There are so may different types and these courses use a completely different type of leather and most of the tooling /techniques are different.
    Not to say the courses are no use to us, its just that only a very small percentage is useful and something that can we can teach. Its the other...say 85% that is not availablee through courses.

Ive googled leather craft courses and while almost all are not relevant, i still find some very interesting and might get on a few of them.

Sewing is different to the covering of parts. But when covering it helps to be able to sew.
    Covering is infinitely more difficult than sewing and to do this to a very high standard you need to do this daily for years.

If there was a course when 70-80% was relevant then it would be worth going down this route.
    Unfortunaltey there is nothing there to cater for this market ( would that spell an opportunity???)

thanks again

6. TickledPink

TickledPink UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 17
    Sounds like the industry needs more people. So, could be another advantage. However, you have to bear in mind the downtime. Usually, people take on trainees because they have too much work and see them as a means to obtain cheap labour. But your industry is highly skilled, which suggests that you are going to take an inordinate amount of time to teach him.

Last year I took on a lad on a week's work experience. I had no time to do any work myself as I had to teach him from the ground up. I have learned that after that one week taster, he wants to enter the video games industry but it was a lot of hassle.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: TickledPink Member since: Jan 31, 2011
  7. 5leeper

14 1
    Completely agree
    The downtime can be a killer and while for me it would be really good to teach these skills the ££ will suffer.
    Bit of a catch 22
    We could be fortunate and have a trainee who picks up elements quite quick. I have had this in the past and he eventually moved on with a great skill set.
    At this time my overheads were very low so impact was minimal.
    I have had a couple who did not take to it and really struggled. while they mean good it was to much of a struggle and i could not afford to keep them on.

I do expect a lot (im no ogor, i am realistic) my customers expect a lot especilly when vehicles are 100K-3million.
    Having the financial support will help myself and trainee.

Thank you for you input

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: 5leeper Member since: Aug 9, 2018
  8. TickledPink

TickledPink UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 17
    Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: TickledPink Member since: Jan 31, 2011
  9. Mark P Trotter

Mark P Trotter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 2
    Hi
    Qualifications are versatile and you can take elements from one to support the development of a staff member, use elements of another and build up the level of credits to the accreditation you need.

The best option is to get advice from the apprenticeship team in your local area. The national helpline will signpost.

It is achievable - also if the person wants to learn there are the number of charitable trusts that may be interested in funding if the circumstances are right.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 12:48 PM By: Mark P Trotter Member since: Mar 29, 2018