Google Shopping Unfair Competitor Play Question

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE), Jul 15, 2019.

1. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

196 17
    Is it possible for a competitor to sit at his laptop and repeatedly click on my google shopping ads so my budget is wasted each day?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

570 134
    IIRC, google algorithms can detect that type of behaviour and they say they won't charge you for such clicks. For sure they have the ability to detect this, BUT whether or not I trust them to actually 'give away' money by not counting those clicks is a different matter.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,117 1,797
    Easier to get a bunch of other people to do it. Looks just like people clicking and not buying then.

Have you thought it might not be a competitor?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,034 261
    It's not in Google's interest to knowingly charge you for false clicks. It would reflect extremely poorly on their product, for example conversation rates would appear low.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

570 134
    True, that would make sense.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  6. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  7. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

333 146
    As the others have said, Google tries to protect you against click-fraud because they want you to spend more with them.

If you Shopping or Adwords campaign isn't working then it's probably down to your product pages being poor. This is a very common cause of poorly performing PPC campaign (AND SOMETHING THAT PPC AGENCIES NEVER SODDING ADDRESS IN MY EXPERIENCE)

You need to ensure:

- They are mobile-friendly (and I don't just it fits on a mobile screen. It must be effortless to view
    - They have great imagery to excite your customer (Product and Lifestyle)
    - Use Video if possible as it creates better conversion
    - Unique description that sells the pain and the solution
    - Key benefits of the product
    (that tell someone how it will change their life)
    - Key features of the product
    - Shipping information - How long and how much
    (This is vital and should be on every product page)
    - Returns policy (This is vital and should be on every product page)
    - A contact telephone number and email (Be easy to contact)
    - Customer testimonials (social proof)
    - PR logos of you have them (social proof)
    - Instagram feed of people using your product, if you have one (social proof)
    - Show a BIG BOLD BUY Button (make it clear and idiot-proof)
    - Show payment logos (These are trust signals)
    - Include Google Pay, Apple Pay and PayPal as payment options. May it easy for them to checkout on mobile (i.e not having to enter their address details)

- In addition to the above, you should have the Facebook tracking pixel on your site so you can retarget them when they leave your page (because 95%+ probably won't buy)
    - A very easy and obvious email sign-up - If they don't buy then you want to get them onto your email list at the very least to start the conversation with them.

You should also look at your analytics to see if the people are adding to basket then bailing out at your checkout. This is common.

You can find the pages where people exit your site by going to Google Analytics and then Behaviour > Site Behaviour > Exits. You can then sort the pages by most exists. This is a fascinating way of seeing what pages are leaking visitors which you can then fix.

You can also see where else people go on your site from that landing page by checking out the Behavioural Flow report under Behaviour also.

Hope that helps

Matt

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,732 9,016
    +1000

The landing page is the MOST important element in the adwords chain. But agencies don't want to fix this because it means actually doing some work.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. businessratesexpert

businessratesexpert UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 0
    I use clickcease.com which stops the dodgy clicks and you can set it so that VPNs wont work on your ads either as it blocks them. You can block Each month it submits auto to Google refunds for any clicks that did go through. It's about 40 quid a month well worth it. Cheers

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 By: businessratesexpert Member since: Jan 10, 2015