Google search console and my web site..

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Davek0974, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,540 308
    HI all,

started getting messages from Google search console referencing errors on my wordpress/woo commerce site, the latest one being this....

Top Errors

Errors can prevent your page or feature from appearing in Search results. The following errors were found on your site:

Either "offers", "review", or "aggregateRating" should be specified

Top Warnings

Warnings are suggestions for improvement. Some warnings can affect your appearance on Search; some might be reclassified as errors in the future. The following warnings were found on your site:

Missing field "sku"

Missing field "description"

Missing field "image"

We recommend that you fix these issues when possible to enable the best experience and coverage in Google Search.

Now, that sounds to me like an "if you don't fix this, we'll knock your ranking down" sort of thing ;)

Is there something I should be doing here?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,408 9,583
    Yes, fix the errors and warnings!

For example, you are using schema markup but missing data from some of the fields.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Be great if the error notes matched the issue - it says i have two with missing description, but load the page they link and the description is plainly visible?

No idea what this is asking really :(

4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,968 1,945
    Structured data is ever evolving and the platforms like Wordpress and WooCommerce are always on catch-up.

Google wants every product in the world to have a brand and a unique product id as it makes it easier for them to then have a comparison tool that skims some of the top for them.

You are never going to be able to get rid of warnings completely unless you remove the mark-up

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. fisicx

32,408 9,583
    It's not the product description - it's the schema description, sku etc.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Davek0974

2,540 308
    And right there is where my eyes glaze over ;)

Is this a plugin i need to add or something else?

7. UKSBD

9,968 1,945
    It doesn't matter what plugin you use, you won't get rid of all warnings.

WooCommerce adds the basics and you can get plugins if you want to add other stuff like brand, sku, mpn, etc. but if you haven't got them it isn't really worth making them up just because the tools show a warning.

The warnings are just a guide

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

908 200
    Those are all related to schema.org data. It will not stop Google crawling the pages, but does mean they will not use some data you system is adding. It is more likely to influence how your sites appear in search (for example, they might show review stars for product pages if you fix this).

Google have a validator for this: https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool

It looks to me that the only actual error is a missing field in the review data.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  9. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Just been looking at this again, Webmaster tools is lit up like a Christmas tree with errors and warnings now :(

After looking at the data in WMTools, it all seems to point towards customer reviews - it seems to think each review should have a SKU, GTIN, image, description and so on - they do not and this is what causes the errors - products with 5 reviews will get 5 warnings and errors.

Clearly something is wrong and my main concern is Google ranking being affected etc - not got much but what i do have i wan t to keep ;)

Any ideas what i can do here????

Edit-
    Its definitely the reviews....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  10. Davek0974

2,540 308
    I've seen two blogs that recommend pasting this code at the end of Functions.php to fix this error....
    But unsure of what it does...
    1. /**
    2. * Remove the generated product schema markup from the Product Category and Shop pages.
    3. */
    4. function wc_remove_product_schema_product_archive(){
    5. remove_action('woocommerce_shop_loop', array( WC()->structured_data,'generate_product_data'),10,0);
    6. }
    7. add_action('woocommerce_init','wc_remove_product_schema_product_archive');

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  11. UKSBD

9,968 1,945
    That's like removing all the mark-up because bits of it are missing

The only real reason you would do that is if you had a different way of adding the mark-up and wanted to over-ride WooCommerce's way of adding it.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  12. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Thanks, thought it best to check first ;)

So, is there something that can be done here - all the reports i'm reading on this, and there are many, seem to suggest that any "error' inside google console will affect ranking directly, i have hundreds of these "errors" now.

Is it something i should throw at WooCommerce support?

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  13. fisicx

32,408 9,583
    The errors seem to be in the reviews no the product listings. shouldn’t be too difficult to add some filters to the theme to fill in the missing fields

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Davek0974

2,540 308
    Hi Fisicx,
    seems like its all review related, thinks the reviews are products when they are not.

Is that something you can help with or something could cut/paste???

15. gpietersz

908 200
    No, there information about the product reviewed that is not provided, so there are warnings the point is that you should fix these if possible.

The error is what you must fix for the data to be usable. Its hard to tell now you have removed the review markup, but it looks to me as though you have added an "item reviewed" without specifying a "review" (i.e. an individual review) or an "aggregate rating" (the average rating from the reviews for that product). You probably should have both.

You need to fix this in Woocommerce, or override Woocomerce's way or doing this. If you cannot do it get a Woocommerce person (I am not one, by the way) to fix it.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  16. UKSBD

9,968 1,945
    The problem is structured mark-up is ever evolving.

Whatever you (or what WooCommerce or any developer) does now could be out of date next month.

WooCommerce will probably sort it on the next big update, but other plugin developers will probably lag behind even more

Also if you haven't actually got sku's, mpn's, etc. you will always get the warnings

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  17. Davek0974

2,540 308
    I haven't removed any markup, yet ;)

18. Davek0974

2,540 308
    All my products have SKU's, there is no space for MPN or GTIN's on my product pages, from what i can see this started early 2019 and woo has had many updates since then but it persists.

19. gpietersz

908 200
    Ah, I was looking at a page with no reviews. Did you remove a review from the page from which the warnings above are from (from the image).

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  20. UKSBD

9,968 1,945
    The problem didn't start in early 2019, it's always been there, the flagging of it in search console is what probably started in early 2019

Your problem appears to be that you are marking up individual reviews separately to products, rather than having the reviews as part of the product mark-up

have a look at this example - https://www.sim64.co.uk/example.txt

The reviews are within the product mark-up rather than being separate

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005