Google - Privacy and other issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bdw, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    And do Bing, Yahoo and errrr any other search engines do the same? Are they doing worse? Do you know or care?

Be interesting to know exactly what the other search engines are "getting away with". Seem strange no one mentions it. Or perhaps you have and I missed it :redface:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
    Posted: May 1, 2012 By: Banned Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  2. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    In the UK Google have > 95% of the search traffic so that makes them > 95% of the problem in my book. ;)

Posted: May 1, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  3. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    But what if Bing, yahoo etc are quietly under the radar and doing much worse - oh I don't know - harvesting credit card details for example. Are they just being left alone to get on with whatever they like while everyone piles on the Google band wagon?

And it also has to be one rule for all - you can't have 5% of the population allowed to break the law "just because they are only 5%".

4. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050

You can't just make things up as a defence. what if Bing are doing it? IF Bing are doign it they have not been caught, but you just as well state "what if bing and Yahoo are involved in child trafficing and the illegal supply of narcotics, " Because it is just a made up claim. the FACTYS are that Google is currently under some heavy duty investigations as a result of their illegal and alleged illegal acts. Are you aware that they were fined $500 millipon as a result of knowingly conspiring to supply drugs illegally to US citizens?

So how about we stick to facts and not try and straw man with fabricated 'what ifs' .

With great power comes greater responsibility, and currently Google are acting irresponsibly. Hell one of the founders is on record as saying he wished the company was not bound by laws which prevent it from doing what it wants to achieve. If THAT isn't cause for concern I don't know what is.

Google have done some great things, but they must be brought to book on their illegal acts. Currently they are running wild, trampling on the human rights of EU citizens, while other companies (like the Welsh Health board I mentioned) are getting nailed with huge fines for a simple mistake.

Posted: May 1, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    OWG - sorry, I wan't making things up but rather asking the question. All eyes on Google and rest go unnoticed - does anyone know IF Bing etc are doing the same or worse?

I take it no one knows and no one cares then.

6. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    There is absolutely no evidence that Bing have done anything like this. Bing have not been charged with any sort of wrongdoing on a large scale. The only anti trust related was to Microsoft with media player and IE (which I already mentioned) .

This isn't the case at all. The fact is that there has been no evidence of anywrong doing when the same degree of scrutiny was placed on Bing/Yahoo etc. It is only Google that has been found to have been acting illegally.

I agree that with Google being the behemoth, all eyes are on it, but Microsoft suffered the same scrutiny a few years back.

the rest don't go un-noticed they are subjected to the same degree of audit. but they have been found to have been acting within the law.

Posted: May 1, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  7. trebor8

trebor8 Guest

0 0
    It's quite strange.
    Why do you use (and continually use) the services of a company, knowingly act illegally or immorally?

Google are not holding a gun to your head.

I regularly do some of my grocery shopping at Sainsbury's and they would like me to sign up to their Nectar card and even though I know it will save me money - I won't sign up, as I don't want them to have my personal details.

You sell your soul to the devil.....

Posted: May 1, 2012 By: trebor8 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  8. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Monopolies (by definition) destroy choice, which is what has happened here in the UK with Google. Google owns UK Internet search. If you are involved in Website Design or SEO you really cannot choose NOT to use them. :(

It is not nice being put in this position, which is why we (some of us) try to keep it in the spotlight rather than burying our heads in the sand. ;)

9. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Not really a monopoly are they though. By virtue of what the internet is you can't have a monopoly, they can't "own internet search". Google are simply the preferred search engine of choice. Now why don't either you or Old Welsh Guy simply come up with something better? It's not like your tying to topple Tesco which would involve Billions in cost for staff, land, stock, property and suppliers. All you need is the idea and programming knowledge.

Anyone in the world can out do Google - just like they pushed Yahoo aside, and Facebook (accidentally) trounced all over MySpace.

Stop moaning and do something about it :)

10. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Yeah! Right! :(

What you are suggesting is nonsensical but you know that don't you? You are not by any chance trying to start an argument just for the sake of it? :rolleyes:

11. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Not at all, reasoning (sorry if I'm repeating myself, but saying my post was "nonsensical" isn't a reasoned reply) follows:-

Both Facebook and Google were started from nothing with no resources - that's the point I was making. Facebook was nothing more than an accident.

It was only a few years ago that Microsoft were being accused, and sued I believe, for having the monopoly on browsers, now that is far from the case. Which does prove my point that nothing internet based can be a monopoly. It just needs someone to come up with something better - which happens regularly on the web. Ten years time and Google will be all but forgotten.

Why can't you come up with something better - if everyone just accepted the current big players as unbeatable we would still be using Sinclair ZX80's.

12. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Can't be bothered. I am going out tonight otherwise I may have done it. ;)

If I have time I'll have a look at it during my lunch break tomorrow. :rolleyes:

13. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    The truth will out ...

Posted: May 2, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  14. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Following on from and as a result of the above, European privacy regulators are considering reopening their inquiries into the Street View Slurping case. It looks like lots of lies have been told.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/t...treet-view-inquiries.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    Posted: May 3, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  15. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Grief BDW, let it go, you're becoming obsessed!!

It's only you and OWG that appear to be in the slightest bit interested now.

You finished your Google alternative yet? It's been a couple of days, how long could it possible take - it's only a blank screen with a text input box in the middle.

Posted: May 3, 2012 By: Banned Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  16. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050

apart from the FCC in America and the head of data protection for all the member states of the European Union you mean ;) Nice fishing, no bites though, wrong bait.

Posted: May 3, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  17. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    I mean't on here, and the general public.

Bit like the thread in the retail section about the post office and electronic photo's, only three people saw it as an issue. At least the OP of that thread had the decency to admit no one was interested :p

18. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    But you are interested in no-one else being interested so that makes it an interesting thread :p

Posted: May 3, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    You mean like your apparent obsession with everything I contribute in here? :eek::p

Oh and don't shoot me, I am only the messenger. ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    Posted: May 3, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  20. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Depends, I'm pretty sure there are very many Search Engine Optimist touting for business here. Far fewer Optimisation-ers though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.