Google - Privacy and other issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bdw, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin555

kevin555 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

309 29
    Some good debate - which is important. The great and wonderful thing that the internet can bring to us as people is to hear other's views. Whether we agree or disagree is not as important as being able to listen/see those views and to accept them or not.

Now this is where we differ.

You see, I don't, for 1 minute, believe that Google is anything other than a business that is in it for the money. Surely the point of the search engine (leaving other elements of the business aside) is to make money. Just showing a top 10 results of whateversearchterm plus a few PPC adverts is a service but not 'the whole truth'. What is an honest internet?

Personalising a global corporation is a big mistake. Never mix business with relationships.

I really don't get the google-love thing?

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: kevin555 Member since: Feb 5, 2007
  2. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    You misunderstand me (because I wasn't clear). My point is that because Google are in it for the money, and their core attraction to users is their search system, they have an incentive to strive for an ever improving set of search results. Basically a more honest set of results, ever more human in their selection.

Google may well be in a powerful position, a position that could be abused. But their sole incentive and the thing that will make them the most money is to stay at the forefront of search technology.

Obviously as they develop that tech at an ever faster rate, more and more people that used to fool the algorithms with carefully weighted keyword references etc, will fall foul as the algorithm looks deeper, and more intelligently at a websites content and appeal.

The long term benefit is that, as always, content IS king. A great website will continue to do well and be less susceptible to being trumped by a well SEO'd hollow advertising site, as an example.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  3. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Posted: Nov 4, 2011 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  4. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    Posted: Nov 10, 2011 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  5. online translator

online translator UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    I think that this is a big isue ... A a privacy violation

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 By: online translator Member since: Nov 21, 2011
  6. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    "Google said Tuesday it will follow the activities of users across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.

The information will enable Google to develop a fuller picture of how people use its growing empire of Web sites. Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes"

This is an extremely radical move. Could be massive kickbacks this time? (I posted this in the business forum but I think it belongs in here too.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Posted: Jan 24, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  7. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    What worries me about that is the legality of it. Instead of taking just a sample of web pages or content viewed they're now tracking you in real time:

But the tracking doesn’t stop when you close the map. Google monitors your location continuously, day and night, even if no apps are running.

Sorry, but that has GOT to be illegal. Even the Police need confirmation from senior officers to track someone/a suspect. How can Google be permitted to know where you are, what you're doing, who you're with...that is open to abuse by Google employees isn't it.

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  8. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    WALL STREET JOURNAL
    "PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Wearing leg irons and guarded by federal agents, David Whitaker posed as an agent for online drug dealers in dozens of recorded phone calls and email exchanges with Google sales executives, spending $200,000 in government money for ads selling narcotics, steroids and other controlled substances."

http://online.wsj.com/article_email...76964003660658-lMyQjAxMTAyMDIwNTEyNDUyWj.html

Seems like there is no end to this thread.

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  9. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    I started this thread back in 2010 and at that time several people jumped to Google's defence as in the above. Do you all still feel the same way?

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  10. kevin555

kevin555 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

309 29
    Ouch! That's for being evil! :rolleyes:

Wonder how much they took in revenue on these ads over the period?

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: kevin555 Member since: Feb 5, 2007
  11. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    I'm not stalking you BDW, we appear to be subscribed to the same threads :redface:

It does amuse me how people get all bent out of shape because Google have been discovered to be hoovering up private data and using it to increase their bottom line.

Those very same people will have their iPhone or Android-powered phone on all of the time, both of which record geographical data that is used to 'analyse consumer metrics'.

They'll post their every move on Facebook and expect their life to remain private :eek::p

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  12. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    I agree but that is precisely what makes this situation all the more serious. People do not know what is going on. They have to be told and even when they are told they still don't get it. That is what companies like Google and Apple feed on. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  13. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    It's also a generational thing; my off-spring and their odd-looking friends think nothing of bearing their souls to their online community of "friends".

The intensive collaborative marketing of the telecomms industry over the last 15 years has made it impossible for a child to be seen in the playground without the latest mobile phone (it was trainers when I was a kid :)).

Every one of them will have a tracking device, sorry mobile phone, on them for the majority of their lives. Now there's a thought :|

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  14. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Which is the food of gods to HR people. :eek:

Posted: Jan 26, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  15. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    "Now compare Google's fortunes to Apple's. Apple is today the world's most valuable company, and it hasn't spent one cent on lobbying against intellectual property. Apple makes real money, on real products, which aren't easily replicable. Google, by contrast, is easily substitutable for a Bing or a Baidu. The idea is beginning to circulate that there's no real long-term growth in Google's business"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/25/apple_vs_google/

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  16. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Posted: Feb 6, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  17. Working First Aid

Working First Aid UKBF Newcomer Free Member

467 76
    Some of the pictures posted on facebook are causing all sorts of bother for the people shown, especially when the poster is stupid enough to allow too many people to see it.

I know of some people who work in high authority and responsible jobs, who will happily post pics of themselves wearing nothing at all on a Friday night out (guys as well as gals).

Posted: Feb 6, 2012 By: Working First Aid Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  18. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    "Over the last day or so, there's been a lot of talk about security flaws in Google Wallet.

It began with a hack that only affected people who rooted their Android phones. Google's answer to that was to not install Google Wallet on rooted devices, which is a pretty reasonable request.

But now there's an even easier hack that affects all devices running Google Wallet, whether they're rooted or not. TheSmartphoneChamp discovered a vulnerability that's almost too easy to perform. It gives the hacker access to the funds on your prepaid Google card.

If your phone is lost, all a thief has to do is go into the Google Wallet app's settings and clear the data. When the app is relaunched, the PIN can be reset, providing full access to your account.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Well you could start by posting in the right forum. ;)

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  20. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Posted: Feb 10, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.