Google Penalty?

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Kennington71, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Kennington71

Kennington71 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi there

I've been sending out free product samples for bloggers to review my products, to try to get our business name out there.
    • I thought asking bloggers for a review would be fine, as long as I'm not asking for a link. I see google's exact words on link schemes include "Sending someone a free product in exchange for them writing it and including a link"
    • I've also seen a Google article which seems to put the onus on bloggers to ensure the links are a no-follow and articles are marked as gifted
    Do you think I am likely to be penalised by Google for sending products out for review? The bloggers are linking back to me, but I'm not specifically asking for links, just a review.

I'm totally confused and worried that all the work i've done will actually negatively affect my website

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 By: Kennington71 Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,925 687
    I'm not going to get into the subject of penalties, ranking and such (if you check similar threads you'll realise why) but this approach is not going to be successful and you really need to be more imaginative.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,340 10,195
    @Kennington71 - a complete waste of time. Bloggers might write an article if you pay them but unless they have zillions of readers the number of leads you get will be tiny. Forget this as a ranking exercise, Google knows all about this sort of activity and will just ignore the links.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,270 1,075

Recently, a maker of rucksacks introduced a range into the UK, backed by a large number of quite high profile celebs.

It crashed and burned.

If you can get the Duchess of Sussex to wear your stuff, you are in with a chance. But as Fisicx says, you need to be talking A list influencers with hundreds of thousands of followers.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. makeusvisible

makeusvisible UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,144 270
    In terms of keeping within the Google Guidelines, and not violating link building policies; The volume you are going to generate is exceptionally unlikely to cause you to go into penalty, and even less likely to have a positive impact on your rankings.

The approach you are having is more geared towards an influencer campaign not a backlink campaign, whereby your target social media influencers who might review your product with a view to their followers purchasing.

With an influencer campaign, you will need to send far less product out there, but your challenge will either agreeing on a suitable fee with the influencers or finding influencers who are willing to work on a commission basis.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 By: makeusvisible Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  6. menetworkjadaltd

menetworkjadaltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

603 86
    Hello!

Welcome to the forum where the majority of the replies to your question do not answer your question (and instead answer the question that we think you should be asking)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Posted: Apr 19, 2021 By: menetworkjadaltd Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  7. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,803 2,112
    If your unsure about how to manage your site and SEO it would be far more profitable to pay a professional or a company to run things
    If you are asking these questions you are not striving to give your business the best opportunities

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  8. richwrite

richwrite UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    I don't think Google will consider it spam because there's no link exchange or reciprocated between both parties. If they are giving a review for your product linking back to your website, then consider it as a bonus. It will boost your website authority and trustworthiness as the link signals are genuine.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: richwrite Member since: Apr 21, 2021
  9. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,340 10,195
    No it won't. SM links are all no follow.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006