Google Analytics alternatives

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Lucky8, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Lucky8

Lucky8 UKBF Regular Free Member

239 28
    Since Analytics changed a few months ago, I can't make head nor tail of the information it says on the dashboard.

All I care about is seeing this information about visitors:
    - domain
    - location country and city
    - which pages they visit
    - maybe how long they spend on each page

That's it. Don't want anything else. I can't find domain any more on Analytics, and most of the time I can't see the city.

Do I need to do something in my setup or is there a better free/low cost alternative?

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: Lucky8 Member since: Jan 17, 2019
  2. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,218 264
    You hosting provider may include statistics software within their panel you can use which should give you more "readable" info, also based on your web server logs rather than a piece of code in your website so can't be blocked and shows everything including traffic to image etc To that extent it won't give you some info that google can track, just what is saved on the logs.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,659 9,977
    https://clicky.com/

Far superior to GA

But I've been using the analytics on my cpanal a lot as well.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

877 136
    Statcounter

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  5. Andy Harris

Andy Harris UKBF Regular Full Member

135 32
    I'm not going to be crass enough to over-promote here (but you can see it in my signature), but there are better options to GA. fisicx mentioned Clicky, we are another, but ultimately, if wanting to get the most from website visitors data you would need to consider paying for something.

Whether that's detailed stats (visitor by visitor, including company name where identifiable) or analysis of clicks, scrolls, etc., here's what's important:

Ensure that use of such analytics leads to sales in some way. Whether via responding to visitors who were identifiable or realising that websites/marketing need to be strengthened (as indicated by data), it's easy to get ROI. What's not so easy is investing the time in using such tools in the best ways possible.

There ARE of course stronger free options sometimes. For example, Microsoft releasing Clarity (heatmapping etc.) as free will eat into the market of some of the paid service providers.

Posted: Nov 6, 2020 By: Andy Harris Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  6. Lucky8

239 28
    So, I'm clear what I want to know and why. Companies, visitor (if insight into the individual is possible, but I didn't think it was), location, how they found us, which pages they visited.

I'd use the analytics to a) contact that company b) attempt to work out why they didn't make contact, but that's going to be better achieved via asking them directly.

I don't mind your promotion Andy. This business is a niche company who have few visitors, and wouldn't expect many, and aren't aiming for volume. We're talking probably less than 100 non-bot/spammer visitors a month. But those who find us or get told of us - those I am very interested in, and want to know who they are.

Posted: Nov 6, 2020 By: Lucky8 Member since: Jan 17, 2019
  7. wayzgoose

877 136
    No, no, no! Stats are anonymous (mostly) but whatever, you can't go contacting people even if you knew who they were.

Posted: Nov 6, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  8. Lucky8

239 28
    If I see Company A had visited, why shouldn't I contact them and ask if we can be of help?

9. wayzgoose

877 136
    GDPR !

10. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    Because you will get into all sorts of trouble if you do.

Posted: Nov 6, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Lucky8

239 28
    Where does it say in the GDPR that a business cannot contact another business which they've seen visit their website?

12. wayzgoose

877 136
    This is all a bit meaningless really because you can't tell from the stats who is visiting you anyway.

13. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    You can contact them directly via the contact details on their website. Nothing wrong with that. What you can’t do is use your analytics to identify a person or even their role. But as @wayzgoose suggests, you are unlikely to ever be able to identify a company from your analytics. You might be lucky an be able to get an IP address but this will probably just be an ISP.

14. Lucky8

239 28
    But you said I'd be violating GDPR if I contacted a company who I had seen visit my site. I've asked you how.

GA used to show me very clearly which company domain visited my site, and I believe other tools can do so too, so it's a facility that's available.

15. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    Don't think it did. It showed you the IP address that visited your site but that's not the same as a company. It's also possible the person is working from home or on a shared IP which means you won't know who visited.

16. Lucky8

239 28
    Yep, it did. Also possible working from home etc as you say, but I'd estimate if I took out all the spammers and bots, 70% of what was left was clear domains, and specific locations. It was really useful, then a few months ago it all vanished off GA. I'm just trying to find a way to get that same info.

17. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    Probably because of GDPR and other privacy issues. Google does say in their documents they no longer provide personal identifiable information.

Have you looked in Audience > Technology > Network > Service Providers. There used to be a report you could run don't know if you still can.

18. Lucky8

239 28
    Hmm. When I look in Audience > Network (which seems to be the only route/options available on my GA phone app), it lists "top Service Providers by Users", and every SP is "(not set)", and has been like that for months.

19. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    There you go then. The data is no longer provided - almost certainly for privacy reasons

20. wayzgoose

877 136