Getting copy writing work

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Frimley111R, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frimley111R

Frimley111R UKBF Regular Free Member

415 32
    I am in the throes of building a new business but have some spare time at the moment and would like to use it to undertake some copy writing work. I have extensive experience in doing so but have never focused on it directly.

Most companies seem to want blog type content which is fine but I can copy write pretty much anything from websites to advertisements.

Where would I start to look? And if you have done this in the past, what did you do?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: Frimley111R Member since: Nov 1, 2009
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,917 9,058
    Advertising, SEO, freelancing sites, gumtree. There are loads of ways to market your services.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,731 2,674
    I'm not sure if I'm keen to give away my incredible* trade secrets...

*Incredibleness may vary.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  4. Frimley111R

Frimley111R UKBF Regular Free Member

415 32
    ;) You could always PM me.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: Frimley111R Member since: Nov 1, 2009
  5. Agarwood

Agarwood UKBF Contributor Free Member

40 4
    You could try People per Hour - its not as good as it once was but plenty of people looking for copywriters.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: Agarwood Member since: Jun 28, 2018
  6. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,055 1,542
    @Frimley111R as you have mentioned on here previously that you are a marketing consultant. Why not use your marketing skills to market yourself.

As others have said you can use one of the freelance sites but they tend to pay peanuts. As you said looking for people to write web content often at far below minimum wage rates.

Why not tout yourself out to marketing. ad and design agencies using your portfolio demonstrating your copy skills, as evidence of your ability. You will get much better rates :)

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  7. Agarwood

Agarwood UKBF Contributor Free Member

40 4
    Yeah most of the jobs are low ticket - but often quick work and payment - ive mostly done salesletters and emails - and the cash is a godsend when starting up.

You just have to be careful it doesn't take you away from your main business.

You can also pick up bigger jobs from those small ones from the same clients.

I tended to reinvest the money earned into paying for the marketing jobs I ether hate or haven't time for ( telemarketing and SEO) in the main business.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 By: Agarwood Member since: Jun 28, 2018
  8. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,114 1,309
    If you are in the throes of building a new business, why are you using your spare time to do another business? What happens if you start to get lots of copywriting jobs on and that takes time from building your new business?

Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on promoting your new business? Any time you have spare you could use for looking for possible further markets or clients.

If you are going to do copywriting, to carry on from what @ethical PR has said, have you been in touch with all your contacts in the marketing world that you will have from your days as a marketing consultant? Not everyone will use you (nor even reply), but some will. If you have built up a relationship with them in the past they will give you a fair hearing with your copywriting.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Posted: Jul 2, 2018 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.