Getting back an international payment

Discussion in 'International Business' started by paulears, Jun 12, 2019.

1. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,957 979
    I paid a supplier for some items via a transfer, using the usual ban/swift codes, and took them from the usual proforma invoice. The account number was formatted a little oddly I thought and it didn't work. I queried it and they had put a hyphen in the wrong place. I corrected it and the payment went through normally ........ I thought. This was on a Friday, and on the following Monday the amount went out of my account. Then I get an email saying they'd supplied me with the wrong account - they'd given me the details for an account that was closed the day before I paid. My bank say it completed successfully and all they can offer is the bank reference number for the transaction. The manufacturer, quite a big telecoms company tell me they have no access to that account, so don't even know if the funds are there. I've sent all the info I can, showing the debit amount in UKP prior to them getting the Dollar amount - but I can't do anything and nor, it seems can they.

We're not talking huge amounts here - just under £500, but I don't feel inclined to spend another £500 to repeat the order, yet I'd quite like either the stock or the funds back.

I don't think anything underhand is going on, bar incompetence - and they have apologised and repeated that it's entirely their fault, but is there anything official I can do? any international bank complaint system or some kind of bank protection code to retrieve payments from closed accounts.

I suspect I'm dead in the water and just waiting in hope?

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,340 874
    The money HAS to be somewhere.

The supplier should be responsible.

I know you said it's unlikely, but to me this has 'scam' written all over it.

What large international company sends the wrong account number, adds a hyphen and then has no access to the closed account?

1 error, I can accept (just). 3 errors is incompetence . . . . . .or a scam.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. paulears

3,957 979
    They tell me they are very sure it will be returned today, then we can talk about a special price if I send them the money back again?

4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    Nooooooooo!

5. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    Get your money back first.

Then ask for COD terms. . . . .with a discount.

6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    Was the country Indonesia by any chance?

7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,950 3,496
    You completed your side of the transaction and fulfilled their instructions to the letter. That the instructions were misleading or wrong is irrelevant.

Add to that, changing and/or closing bank accounts sounds bogus to me. We have had the same business accounts for at least a decade and our account in Germany dates back to 1982!

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 100
    I wonder why they are so sure your money will come back today if they have no access to this account anymore?
    Also wondering why if an account is closed how the transaction actually went through should it not have just bounced back us 'unable to complete'. Hope you get some good news later today and can get this resolved best of luck.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  9. paulears

3,957 979
    Well - they were telling the truth, I got a note from Santander saying the International payment had been returned, less of course, more bank charges - so buying nothing ended up costing me over fifty quid. They also want to know when I'll be re-ordering .................

I've not done anything productive today bar this and fighting my two local councils, my district council and the county council. A tree half fell down and scratched down three panels on my silver van. The district council took three weeks to determine it was the County council's responsibility, and they took 24 hours to say it's the other council. Ironically, they share a building but cannot talk to each other about it because to do so would be a problem under the GDPR rules. I wonder if you can take two bodies to county court and let the judge decide which is responsible? That's perhaps for another topic, or probably I just give up and go out and earn some more money than waste it like this week!

10. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

197 26
    Be interesting to know the country you sent it to.

Fifty quid in bank fees. I remember those days but they are long gone thanks to transferwise.

Country dependent

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  11. paulears

3,957 979
    Hong Kong - Santander charged me £25 to send the payment, and then nearly double this deducted from the amount I received back. n' say where this came from till the Santander notification arrives in the post.

The supplier said sorry and offered me an extra 20 dollars off the price in total - which still hurts so I said no. I have most of the funds back, so will cut and run.

12. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

564 100
    And it's still only Wednesday, lets hope it gets better as we roll towards the weekend, at least you've got the best part of the funds back where they belong

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  13. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,610 1,847
    So many problems with one transaction - may be worth looking elsewhere to buy from if possible.

Lucky enough this was kosher, when I started reading I thought oh oh scam alert. The old we just shut the account just before you sent the money we were expecting in that account and no longer have access to it situation.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. paulears

3,957 979
    Well - a positive outcome after a struggle. I got the difference between original amount paid and amount refunded deducted, plus an extra small discount, if I re-did the order - and the offer of a payment via PayPal - so I've reordered. All's well it would appear. Why their old account was closed down I'll never know - but I seem to have made friends - two of their staff now don't call me Paul, or mr Johnson any longer - they call me 'dear'.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  15. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,950 3,496
    As in "Oh dear!"

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  16. paulears

3,957 979
    I'll let you know. Hopefully she's being nice?

17. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    They have very little clue of the English language and just follow what’s normally taught at school when replying to letters . . . . .Dear . . . . .

Once bitten, twice shy . . . .would be my advice.

At best they seem disorganised and inefficient.

You want to keep away from suppliers like that.

IMHO

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  18. paulears

3,957 979
    Yep - I know, but at the moment they are the only source of a popular product, and the previous model sold well and the new one will do too - once I can actually get them.

19. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,340 874
    Unless it’s a patented product with exclusive selling rights, it’s extremely rare that there is only one supplier.

A Hong Kong company will buy ALL their goods in China.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  20. paulears

3,957 979
    The firm is a Chinese firm, with an office in Hong Kong. The funds went to hong kong, but the 'new' office account home its the Chinese end of the business. It's one of their own products, and the brand name is them - they're not resellers, they're the manufacturer. They do also sell the product line under another brand they own, but at the moment, their subsidiary don't have the product at all. The subsidiary is also based in China mainland.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019