GDPR and PECR

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Craig24, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Craig24

Craig24 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi all,

Im new here so please excuse me if this post is in the wrong thread.

I’ve started a new website for dog breeders and I’m looking to send email marketing out whilst keeping within GDPR.

I have found a similar established website (Champdogs) which displays lots of breeder email addresses on it. I’m looking to take these email addresses and send marketing information to them as I believe they are business addresses.

Please can someone advise me if this is acceptable or not?

Thanks in advance
    Craig

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: Craig24 Member since: Feb 16, 2020
  2. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,338 181
    Sorry, but do you mean just scrape someone else's website or buy the list from the owner?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Craig24

Craig24 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm would scraping the website not be a viable option if the information is easily accessible?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: Craig24 Member since: Feb 16, 2020
  4. Alison Moore

Alison Moore UKBF Regular Full Member

266 24
    Trouble is under GDPR you have to have a legitimate reason to have that person's email address - and nicking them off another website so you can email them is not a legitimate reason. Whether you'd get done for it, is doubtable, but it would be in breach of GDPR.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  5. Craig Bird

Craig Bird UKBF Contributor Full Member

75 6
    hi @Craig24 Alison hit the nail on the head, although the information you refer to may be publicly available, the issue is still that this is personal data and governed by GDPR, so essentially intentions with this personal information will still need to be inline with the 6 purposes defined by GDPR.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 By: Craig Bird Member since: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,418 1,766
    I looked at the site and couldn't find any email addresses, but if you believe them to be business addresses rather than personal then GDPR doesn't apply.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  7. Craig Bird

Craig Bird UKBF Contributor Full Member

75 6
    Hi Alan,

There are emails in the business directory (https://www.champdogs.co.uk/direct), regardless whether there is a business domain or not, any email that is not generic business such as [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] etc and is an individual prefix is governed by GDPR.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Posted: Feb 21, 2020 By: Craig Bird Member since: Feb 24, 2017
  8. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

715 130
    Just for curiosity what if I would employ a Mr Contact and a Mr Sales and they actually exist and have that email. How could you really distinguish between a generic one and an actual name?

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  9. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,338 181
    They would soon tell you to get a grip and give them more distinctive e-mail addresses.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015