GB EORI Issues EU Shipping

Discussion in 'International Business' started by NEF, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,991 3,446
    Eire and no.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  2. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    Excellent, thanks

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  3. The Soup Dragon

The Soup Dragon UKBF Regular Free Member

200 7
    Shipping from GB to EU you need a GB EORI number

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: The Soup Dragon Member since: May 13, 2013
  4. JRatron

96 9
    If you're happy for your customer to pick up the vat, any applicable duties and clearance fee on the other side then yes, you only need the GB one.

5. The Soup Dragon

The Soup Dragon UKBF Regular Free Member

200 7
    Why would you want to pay your customers VAT

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: The Soup Dragon Member since: May 13, 2013
  6. JRatron

96 9
    For distance selling to B2C customers so they don't have to basically. That's what any EU business sending goods worth less than £135 to UK customers is being asked to do now.
    Most end users just want to see a price up front and not get hit with forms, fees and additional costs.

7. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

138 27
    Does that cut both ways, i.e. EU retailers selling into the UK?

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  8. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,299 318
    We shipped a £340 jacket to Eire, customer got bill from DHL for
    12% Duty - 45 Euro
    23% Vat - 97 Euro

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  9. lesliedocherty

2,299 318
    Tried to DM you, can you provide some info on how or where you got the Eire EORI number ?

10. JRatron

96 9
    I emailed [email protected] who were very helpful.

Here's the initial email reply they sent back to me:
    Following on from your request about an Irish EORI number we may be able to supply you with the same. Is it your intention to lodge SAD declarations in Ireland?

You will need to provide the information as requested below by email before we can proceed with an EORI Registration.

In order to register you for EORI we will require the following information:

1. EORI applicants full name:

2. EORI applicants address:

3. EORI applicants phone number and email address:

4. Type of Customs activity the applicant is involved in e.g. Importer/Exporter and goods/services imported/exported:

5. Full name and contact details of the person within the company or agent who can be contacted regarding application if deemed necessary:

6. Irish VAT Number associate with this legal entity, if registered for VAT in Ireland:

7. Other EU member state VAT number(s) associated with this legal entity:

8. We also require confirmation from you that you have not applied for an EORI in another EU Member State other than Ireland:

9. Confirmation that Ireland is the first point of entry for goods being imported.

When this information is received, we will be in a position to assess your application.

11. JRatron

96 9
    Where was the jacket manufactured?

12. lesliedocherty

2,299 318
    Vietnam or Bangladesh, not 100%, but outside the UK

13. NEF

NEF UKBF Regular Free Member

183 9
    Weirdly my GB EORI number now works in the DPD app ..

What happens if consignment details are not attached to the parcel directly.. customs info ,etc

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: NEF Member since: Jan 14, 2008
  14. lesliedocherty

2,299 318
    Can I ask as I do not fully understand, why do I want/need an EU EORI number if I have a UK one.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  15. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

138 27
    Yes, I found that when we managed to get one consignment out last week. It would not accept our EU EORI number.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  16. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 8
    If you are paying the EU VAT for an EU customer, then don't you need to register for VAT in the delivery country (as well as have an EU EORI) in order to give them the VAT? (I think only GB have 'boldly' insisted on foreign sellers collecting VAT at point of sale so far (EU MOSS due on 1st July 2021), and only for sales under £135, but if the customer is VAT registered they don't need to, etc, complexity, etc) Seems far simpler not to if you can avoid it; consider letting the customer be the importer for an easier life. Depends if your EU customers are business (they should have their own EU EORI) or consumer (don't need EU EORI and will just pay local customs fees/VAT/duties as I understand it).

I thought NI had an XI EORI number. Most of the confusion is because the GB government insisted everyone get a GB EORI (imports into GB, exports out of GB) but didn't really mention the EU EORI (for if you import into EU country or export out of EU country).

I think some people get confused between imports and exports. Your company can be an exporter from GB (you have a GB EORI) but your customer can be the importer into EU (they have an EU EORI). This is typical for fast parcel operators (e.g. DHL, etc). However, if your company is doing anything with the goods in the EU then you will need an EU EORI (and some form of establishment in the EU, whatever that brings with it).

At least, this is how I understand things. I could be wrong; let me know.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  17. NEF

NEF UKBF Regular Free Member

183 9
    My other issue is, do I need to fill in any forms in regard to accounting for my EU vat free sales ... a bit like the ECC sales list that had to previously be completed for vat free sales within the EU ?

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: NEF Member since: Jan 14, 2008
  18. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,844 648
    Depends if you need another one.

If you are using FBA, you will need at least 2 EORI numbers (1 for UK and 1 for EU if you are importing products in the UK and EU).

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  19. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 8
    Just your VAT return as far as I know. The description for the boxes have been updated I have been told. See HMRC website re VAT return or your accountant. One small saving is that EC sales list reporting is a thing of the past. (Avoid the term 'VAT free'. You are selling at zero rate VAT. It's petty but that's the jargon e.g. VAT exempt is another category.) Oh, I think intrastat still happens but that is for the bigger players.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  20. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,745 2,084
    I would say get a good freight forwarder involved I dont think every company can do this in house . Many can but some doing it in house could be the death of them

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008