Furlough status when you are working from workplace

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Self sufficient, May 6, 2021.

1. Self sufficient

Self sufficient UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Hi all

I am wondering as whether does it sound normal where as a key worker you never been put on furlough scheme but now you have received your payslip with the mention of furlough pay without even being informed earlier. Also, on HMRC online account, there has nothing new has been recorded to confirm as if you have now been put on furlough. Worth mentioning that during all lockdowns I kept on working from the workplace until now. So does that signalling the initiation of something illegal where employers started claiming the furlough pay clandestinely from HMRC when you are working normally.

Posted: May 6, 2021 By: Self sufficient Member since: Aug 15, 2020
  2. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Legend

2,278 573
    My understanding was no "While you're on furlough. During hours you are on furlough you will not be able to work for your employer. Your employer cannot ask you to do any work for them"
    Although if your contract allows you could take on another job. I am sure someone will come along shortly with far more knowledge than myself on the matter.

Link below has some useful info and links to check:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

Posted: May 6, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Alan

Alan Verified Business ✔️

6,858 1,910
    Sounds like it.

"Protect, UK’s whistleblowing charity, revealed in an October 2020 report that furlough fraud within the workplace made up 62% of Covid-19 related calls received by their advice line. More worryingly, 20% of those whistleblowers were dismissed after raising their concerns with their employer."

Sounds like you shouldn't ask your employer if you want to keep your job.

You can report suspicions here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/TEH_IRF

Posted: May 6, 2021 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. japancool

japancool UKBF Legend

5,199 1,197
    So if you are on furlough, you should only have received 80% of your regular pay. Presumably you received the full amount?

Posted: May 6, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Lots of people on furlough got full pay. The employer could only claim 80 percent, nothing about paying the employee more than was claimed.

Posted: May 6, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Self sufficient

Self sufficient UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    The employer is paying 100% which is exactly equivalent to the hours that has been worked though allegedly now started paying from furlough scheme instead from its own treasure. Personally, I only care the correct wages regardless of its provenance but still little concerned as it might not compound my tax affairs further down the line when the normality would arrive. Then, obviously govt will start looking ways to recover their support more imminently by amplifying the tax rate or target those who were previously on furlough.

Posted: May 7, 2021 By: Self sufficient Member since: Aug 15, 2020
  7. Bushman

Bushman UKBF Regular

190 33
    You should be taxed on all pay, it doesn't make any difference whether it's normal pay or furlough pay, it's all taxed the same.

Posted: May 7, 2021 By: Bushman Member since: Nov 17, 2015
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️

4,316 771
    When I had people on furlough I topped up their pay so they still received the full 100% of their income, but no they didn't do a stroke of work for me whilst they were no furlough.

As @Alan mentioned above though, does seem "odd" that if the OP worked as normal but their payslip implies you was on furlough...

Posted: May 10, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  9. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    There is alwayus the possibility tha this is an error on the payslip. It is only an issue if the employer has claimed furlough for staff who are working. If they have done so the employee should be able to find out from their HMRC personal account.

Posted: May 10, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Useful Useful x 1