General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Frozen Food Packaging & Testing

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by DILLY_FUNK, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DILLY_FUNK

DILLY_FUNK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I am looking to move into the Manufacturing and Selling of Frozen Food. I would be grateful for assistance and guidance in the following:

1. Packaging - I need to find a company that packs my frozen products. I am looking for a company in the UK that packages frozen food...such as Frozen Peas, Frozen Spinach, Resealable packaging that etc.

2. Design of Package - Also need to have my packaging designed, coloured and add my Brand name and Logo.....so any recommendations?

3. Testing - Where can I get my frozen food tested in order to have a list of the full contents, % of intake per item (Calorie count, Fat, Sugar etc)

4. Use by Date - I need to calculate my 'Use by Date' or 'Best before date'. Could this also be done at the Testing lab? Please advise.

5, Bar Code - How does the barcoding system work? Is this something that needs to be done by myself or the Retailer/Supermarket?

Thank you

Dilly

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 By: DILLY_FUNK Member since: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

647 189
    With regards to No.2, I may be able to help on that front, depending on your budget and requirements. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss. :)

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  3. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,780 1,607
    Look at GoFood Food Packaging and Benson Group.

Both are fairly large players so won't be cheap for a start up, but an exchange of emails and phone calls might get them to point you in the right direction. Ask them about testing for Fat, ash etc, (the statuatory things), and slip in a question about BBE dates and make one up based on that, (yes, gasp, guesstimate just like the majors do).

Print for frozen packs is fairly tricky as it has to be more durable than standard print.

Barcodes will depend on how many products you have and who you supply to. If you are a small startup then you can wait on this one, just get the designer to leave a bit of room for inclusion on a new printrun.

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,109 3,369
    Dilly - Have you established outlets for your product?

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  5. The_Bag_Supplier_Ltd

The_Bag_Supplier_Ltd UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

96 12
    Try phoning Health and Safety/Trading Standards office I have found them extremely helpful on matters of testing and labelling in the past. In my experience, as long as you are on the right side of them, they like to be helpful and I have always thought that working to their specifications from the start can only be a good thing. Plus, if problems crop up later on then you have a paper trail to show that you have at least tried to conform with regulation and are not a chancer who just doesn't care.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 By: The_Bag_Supplier_Ltd Member since: Nov 4, 2013
  6. DILLY_FUNK

3 0
    :)Thank you everyone for your comments....I will happily take them on board.
    Once I have my Products ready, I will happily send you all a sample and you can provide some feedback if you wish. So please drop me your email address so I may contact you to send the products over...hopefully in January 2015.

Regards

Dilly

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: DILLY_FUNK Member since: Nov 14, 2014
  7. DILLY_FUNK

3 0
    When you ask 'Outlets', do you mean retail outlets? or are you asking about logistics/distribution?
    I will ultimately target the Supermarkets, I think thats probably the best place, but I don't want to meet any buyers until my product is ready....packaging, brand, tested, nutritional info etc.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: DILLY_FUNK Member since: Nov 14, 2014
  8. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,109 3,369
    Catch 22.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  9. storage

storage UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 1
    great post

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: storage Member since: Nov 17, 2014
  10. Peanut Butter Man

Peanut Butter Man UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

594 64
    I have been through all of this so try the following

1. Try http://www.redborneprinters.co.uk/index.html He will do small runs of packaging and may be able to help. Cheap and quality. I like him

2. I use a designer from Macedonia. Responsive, talented and great price. I then supply the files to print etc DM me for info

3. Go to http://www.chester.ac.uk/nowfood Ask for Maud Duthie. Nutritionals are £70 per product

4. As above

5. Go to http://www.nationwidebarcode.com/ Cheap unlike some rip offs I tried. You can buy just a few and from memory at £2 each. These are accepted in the UK and mine all work a treat in UK stores. TIP: Take them to Asda if you want and place under scanner, these scanners recognise them. But really, they are all good.

If you could mention the peanut butter fella when you contact them, it would be nice, i earn nothing but nice to know you are sharing.

Good luck

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: Peanut Butter Man Member since: Jul 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.