Front Page On Google

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Sparkle, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparkle

Sparkle Contributor

291 2
    Hi, just a quick query, when i search for my items on google i have loads of my site coming up but only ever the front page, how do i get it so when i search for 'bling earpones' (or example) thatpage in my site comes up not the front page??

Posted: Apr 9, 2007 By: Sparkle Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  2. Melvin

Melvin UKBF Newcomer

19 0
    To do that you need to back link that particularly page as many times as you've backlinked your homepage - I think.

Posted: Apr 9, 2007 By: Melvin Member since: Apr 5, 2007
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Contributor

291 2
    can you explain to me how to do that??

Posted: Apr 9, 2007 By: Sparkle Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  4. Ender

Ender UKBF Newcomer

80 0
    You need to create an attractive "bling earphones" page of at least 300 words and link to it internally to give it a bit more "prominence" if you haven't done so aready. If you're site's new though this will likely take some time to kick in.

You can speed things up by getting off site links to you internal page from directories that allow you to submit sites with links to deep pages. Another alternative is to publish bling earphone articles in article directories with a link to the appropriate page.

Posted: Apr 9, 2007 By: Ender Member since: Aug 11, 2006
  5. Melvin

Melvin UKBF Newcomer

19 0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, the way SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) works, is that either you (or your web designer) linked your home page to lots of differenent directory sites. This makes your homepage more "important" than competing sites who haven't done this, in the eyes of the search engines. In reality though, any good site will have done this, so this simply puts you on a level playing field.

However, within your own website, you could consider that the various pages are "competing" with each other. So the reason the homepage keeps popping up, and not the page you want directly linked to, is that the search engine views the homepage as the most important (which it is) because it has so many back links.

If you want to make individual pages important, you have to complete the same process with them - submitting them to lots of directories.

However, be aware that this may detract from people visiting your homepage, and I believe that first time visitors would probably like to go to a homepage first, and then be guided onto the next page.

You've done searches before where you get taken straight to a very indepth page, and you're not sure if you're in the right place, so you want to click "Back" to get to that sites homepage, but the Back function doesn't work because you were directed straight deep into a site, when you would rather have gone via the homepage. With me?

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: Melvin Member since: Apr 5, 2007
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Contributor

291 2
    Brill, thanks very much for that, I understand completley! (first time for everything!!) thanks again

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: Sparkle Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  7. Melvin

Melvin UKBF Newcomer

19 0
    No problem. I've sent you a private message - did you get it?

8. Sparkle

Sparkle Contributor

291 2
    no not yet! can you look at my post about copy and paste my link, if you have time that is!

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: Sparkle Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  9. Melvin

Melvin UKBF Newcomer

19 0
    OK will look at that post now. I resent the private message - it should be there straight away...

10. 3rigena

3rigena UKBF Newcomer

54 0
    linking to that page from your homeopage will help a LOT.

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: 3rigena Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  11. mattk

mattk Contributor

2,554 935
    Let me use a page as an example:

This page is optimised for the keyphrase team building cambridge

If you look at the page, you'll see the term "team building cambridge" appears in the page title and the words, team, building and cambridge appear in the h1 tag, img title and several times in the body copy.

On Google, this page is ranked #1 for the keyphrase.

This page is by no means optimised as much as it could be, but it ranks #1 for the keyphrase is it targetting, so why do more?

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  12. carps

carps Contributor

100 0
    "This page is by no means optimised as much as it could be, but it ranks #1 for the keyphrase is it targetting, so why do more?"

The short answer: Depends on the competitiveness of the market!

The long answer: there isn't that much competition for the phrase 'team building cambridge' - which suggests that not many people search for that particular phrase, or that there isn't much money in it. To take this to the silliest level, if you type in 'welsh nose flutes' in Google, my site is at number 1, but it isn't exactly an achievement that's building us much business!

Assuming there is money in the phrases you're targetting...? If you want to get to, and more importantly, stay in that number 1 slot, you'd better be doing a whole lot more than making sure you've got the keyphrase in the title tag.

Structurally, you are absolute right - in that having a specific page dedicated to a keyphrase is the right thing to do. Strategically, you need to build strength in your domain. This means updating it frequently, uniquely and with a nice turn of phrase. It means seeking ways to promote your domain - be it through commenting on forums (hi!) doing online press releases or getting clients and suppliers to link to your site. All kinds of stuff, really.

Posted: Apr 10, 2007 By: carps Member since: Feb 13, 2006
  13. sharon25

sharon25 UKBF Newcomer

24 0
    Make sure to add a google friendly site map which consist of all the pages of your site, and get lot of back links to your site from other sites, and make sure to link to your home page or front page from every other page of your web site, and wait for few months and you will get the results.
    :D

Posted: Apr 12, 2007 By: sharon25 Member since: Apr 12, 2007
  14. 3rigena

3rigena UKBF Newcomer

54 0
    note to thos who care.. the page in question uses questionable practices to rank.. alt-text is an accessibility feature and should not be misused in this way (keyword stuffing)..

Stuffing image alt-text with irrelevant keywords is not good practice, and may render your pages/site content inaccessible...

Posted: Apr 12, 2007 By: 3rigena Member since: Apr 2, 2007
  15. lyonssolutions

lyonssolutions UKBF Newcomer

41 0
    I will have to totally disagree with what you have said here. You do not need to submit the front page (or pages you want to show on search) to directories.

The way it works is when a bot or a crawler visits your site, it also checks which page has got more links in between them. If for instance, you have more links to your product page then crawlers will think it of the more important than others.

To solve this, I would suggest that you place a back link to your home page e.g. to return to home click here.

If you can add a back link to all your pages then the front page will receive a higher rank than other pages and hopefully this can resolve the problem you are having as well.

Posted: Apr 19, 2007 By: lyonssolutions Member since: Apr 19, 2007
  16. PeteYoung

PeteYoung Contributor

148 0
    Completely agree with Lyon, reading the first bit of this post, I was about to get my P45 and go and get retrained, as I hadnt realised SEO was that simple.

Yes, getting to the top of niche terms can be as simply as utilising various on page (optimised content title/copy etc) and offpage (linkage) seo techniques however if you start getting into more competitive terms, this strategy has to be far more encompassing and ultimately strategic.

Posted: Apr 26, 2007 By: PeteYoung Member since: Oct 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.