From Turkey to UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Lara15, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Lara15

Lara15 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    I would like to understand a bit better the subtleties of delivering goods from Turkey to UK. The quantities are currently small but some items are bulky. Let's say for now I do not require a Freight Forwarder but with correctly defined HS codes, how easy or difficult it is to clear the goods at customs and pay the required fees etc. Any insight into the matter will be greatly appreciated

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Regular Free Member

100 17
    If your supplier offers you shipping terms of door to door including customs clearance, then they will be responsible for clearance. But this is unlikely. Therefore unless you have invested £1000's installing the required software and system of 'badges' required to clear customs in the UK, you will have to appoint someone who has i.e a freight forwarder.

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  3. Lara15

16 0
    What Badges are you referring to. I do not have a huge range of products, for now it will be limited to 3 types only and rather small quantities and in some cases as per order which means i do not need to make bulk orders for bigger items

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  4. Mike Godwin

100 17
    You must have a customs badge for every UK entry point where you want to carry out customs clearance plus the associated software, which as I've already stated costs many £1000's. I'm not aware of any UK importer big or small that does their own CC. They employ an agent that regularly handles hundreds/thousands of customs entries which is the only way to make it pay. What are you trying to achieve? My advice would be for you to concentrate on what you do best and what is core to your business and leave the customs formalities to an agent.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  5. Lara15

16 0
    It looks like you are pushing your services not even promoting your services with the way you are providing your advice. My advice to you, drop mentioning £1000s to your potential customers because it is not an attractive pitch and I honestly will tick the box to omit your services altogether. Thank you

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Mike Godwin

100 17
    What a shame you feel this way...I am certainly not pushing my services, merely trying to explain the facts to you based on my 50 years as a professional in the industry. You appear to think I see you as a potential customer? I certainly do not, just someone who needs help to understand the complexities of our business.

You posed the question(s) and IMO I've answered accurately, honestly and with absolutely no intention of self promotion. If you don't like the answers(s) then don't post OR would you rather I advised you it was easy and costs nothing to carry out your own clearances?

Like the majority on here I'm trying to help by providing information based on my experience, so that those asking can make informed decisions. I therefore take umbrage at your comments.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  7. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

299 128
    As above, a customs agent/forwarder will need to clear the goods when they arrive, presumably at Dover. Usually this will be whichever freight forwarder has arrange the shipping.

I also must stick up for Mike here - I can't see that he promoted his services at all and he is correct that to get the current customs software it can cost a lot of money. You would then need training to use it.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  8. Mike Godwin

100 17

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  9. Mike Godwin

100 17
    Thank you Darren.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  10. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,079 1,091
    Its good that you gave this response now so others can understand your attitude early on. I doubt you will be getting much more help on the forum.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  11. Lara15

16 0
    Ok, Im sorry if i have sounded harsh in any way but the main reason for my response was your message. What am I trying to achieve? I'm exploring the subject matter before making an informed decision. Thank you for your advice so far.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 By: Lara15 Member since: Dec 4, 2018