From Port Felixstowe > Glasgow

Discussion in 'International Business' started by a1anm, Nov 20, 2018.

1. a1anm

a1anm UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

726 79
    We would like to order a piece of machinery from China. We have been quoted $150 to get the item shipped from China to Felixstowe. This seems reasonable but I just wanted to check if anyone has any recommendations for companies that can then transport it from the port to our business in Glasgow. I'm assuming customs clearance will need to be sorted as well.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 By: a1anm Member since: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 4
    Hi. I suggest you speak to a forwarder who will be able to handle the customs clearance and arrange the haulage for you. Depending on the size and weight of the item, the costs will be relative.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  3. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

4,976 1,062
    Who has quoted you this? As you mention Felixstowe I assume its LCL sea freight. However I would have thought that $150 was below the minimum charge for sea freight so I am doubtful

To avoid nasty surprises, get a UK based FF to give you a quote that includes port fees etc and delivery to your premises.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

259 116
    With C&F/CIF terms the freight rate is often discounted to Port and you will usually receive substantial UK costs on arrival 9Sometimes a kickback goes back to China.

Will almost always be cheaper to buy on FOB terms and get a couple of quotes from reputable UK forwarders.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  5. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

7,662 2,981
    My wife, who used to buy materials and parts across Planet Earth, assures me that the cheapest and best way to get goods from China to somewhere in Europe, is to do the whole thing from soup to nuts via a reputable forwarding agent.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Andy777

Andy777 UKBF Regular Full Member

270 68
    And she is 100% right :)

A company like Woodland Global will give a door to door quote so there won't be any surprises.

That $150 is peanuts compared to all the costs OP will face at the UK side.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: Andy777 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  7. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,757 739
    It depends if you are buying LCL (part container) or FCL (full container).

For LCL, most factories in China will add an excess for FOB, so in this instance, use a UK FF for a door to door shipment. It might not be the cheapest, but will have all costs covered.

For FCL, get an FOB quote from your supplier and arrange Sea Freight/UK Clearance/Delivery via a UK Forwarder.

For LCL, you should also consider the train route as this is often cheaper than going by sea. (Door to door - all costs included). Not all products are allowed by train.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  8. PowerForwarding

PowerForwarding UKBF Regular Free Member

216 37
    Bit late to the party on this one but as above $150 does not cover everything at port so is certainly quoted as C&F/CIF. This will likely leave with huge charges this side to be collected from the UK agent which will get kicked back to China for the shortfall in payment that side.

Speak to a UK freight forwarder for either an ex-works or FOB rate. You'll then have the benefit of knowing what you'll be paying prior to arranging and getting stuck with unexpected costs.

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 By: PowerForwarding Member since: Jun 9, 2011