Freight Forwarding From USA

Discussion in 'International Business' started by mpollard, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpollard

mpollard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 1
    Hi,

I am looking for a little advice and I wonder if anyone can help. I currently import a lot of items from the US from several different suppliers - anything from one 20kg box to a couple of pallets in one shipment. I get really good quotes for shipping from some of our suppliers and not so great for others.

What I would like to do, if it is possible is to have my shipments sent to a freight forwarder in the US for them to collect a larger shipment to then ship them all to me in one go rather than lots of smaller shipments from my suppliers. Does this make sense? I have contacted a couple of companies but I haven't had a reply so I wondered if this idea I have is actually something that is practiced so to speak?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Matt

Posted: Sep 3, 2014 By: mpollard Member since: Mar 30, 2013
  2. JaneRG

JaneRG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    We've used our freight forwarder to consolidate shipments from different US suppliers, and yes it does make sense. You may have to pay warehousing fees if stuff is sitting around for a while, but you'll probably save on the shipping overheads, and won't have to pay supplier mark ups, and you'll reduce the import paperwork.

If you haven't already tried them, I recommend Woodland Group - they have a good US operation and from my experience, they look after small businesses better than some of the bigger forwarders do. Disclaimer: I'm not associated with them in any way, other than as a customer. (I liked them so much that I took them with me when I moved jobs a few years ago!).

Hope that helps,
    Jane

Posted: Sep 4, 2014 By: JaneRG Member since: Sep 4, 2014
  3. SouthernBusiness

SouthernBusiness UKBF Regular Full Member

204 5
    Thanks, I was recommended www.atlanticintl.co.uk but after hearing it wasn't huge parcels. I was just ignored :(

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 By: SouthernBusiness Member since: Dec 1, 2007
  4. dave1978

dave1978 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi Matt,

Yes this is possible and we would be more than happy to help if required - I have a agent in USA who can receive or collect shipments and consolidate if required.

If you need more details please let me know.

Regards

David Allen

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 By: dave1978 Member since: Jan 15, 2014
  5. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

335 134
    As above, there is no problem consolidating shipments and this is something we do for many of our clients. Just bear in mind timings - Try and get them delivered in around the same time, to avoid any unnecessary storage costs.

Jane RG - Glad we are doing a good job for you! Thankyou.

Posted: Oct 6, 2014 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.