Free Speech is Not Allowed on UKBF

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Mortime Business Software, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortime Business Software

Mortime Business Software UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,075 46
    My thread about "England Football Club in the premiership" was deleted by one of the moderators. I was not given any reason whatsoever.

We are not allowed to express our true selves on these forums.

Just thought I would let you know.

Let's see how long this message survives.

Dave

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Mortime Business Software Member since: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Mortime Business Software

1,075 46
    What a lousy, stifled, brainwashed society we live in.

I, for one, will NEVER succumb to this third-rate, decadent culture that professes to be more advanced.

I have been working late tonight. I have had the TV on with no sound, and the Carpenters singing sweet and low.

In the last few minutes, I have looked at the TV a couple of times. The first time I looked I saw a bloke's hairy arse with a cigarette poking out of it (it was meant to be a joke), and a few minutes later I saw one bloke bumming another bloke in what I assume was meant to be another joke.

Is that it?

Progress?

My good God in heaven, please, bring back Laurel and Hardy and Norman Wisdom, now THEY were FUNNY.

Dave

3. Mortime Business Software

1,075 46
    Sorry, but I am currently sat here in a state of disbelief at how I am not even allowed to express a simple opinion on the composition of our English football team.

But of course, our football culture (the premiership) is just an indicator of how our national culture is being subsumed into the wider, and seemingly more acceptable, Muslim culture. There is not too much of it in the football team - yet, but there does seem to be a little too much of it in our cricket.

That's my opinion, and you are all ENTITLED to it, so make sure that the moderators of UKBF do not deprive you of it.

Dave

4. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    Hey Dave calm down mate.

I always enjoy your posts and would not like to see you disappear from this forum either by your choice or that of the moderators.

I have to say I did feel a bit uncomfortable myself about the post in question. You may have not intended it but it could have been interpreted as a rather racist post.

I run a couple of forums myself and I understand how difficult it is to strike that balance between free speech and removing or editing posts that may cause offence. To be honest, if it was my forum, I would probably have edited your post as well. Although as a long-standing, respected member I would have told you in private my reasons for doing so.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  5. RayB

RayB Banned

6,474 242
    I think it was the blatant racism that did it - when you said the England Football team should comprise white only players.

I could be wrong though

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  6. Hedgie

Hedgie UKBF Ace Free Member

2,310 305
    I think before anyone starts going off on the racism tangent that people should always check out their roots.

I traced my surname and back to France. My wife traced hers to Scandinavia. So technically we are both from immigrant backgrounds. So to say the team should comprise of white only players because they are 'english', is a load of bull as you would probably find most of them would be 'immigrant' decendents.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Hedgie Member since: Aug 17, 2007
  7. mconridge

mconridge UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

641 71
    There is free speach and then there is something below that. If the above was really said (I didn't see the thread) then there is no place for it on these boards.

I personally find that offensive and I'm sure many others will too.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: mconridge Member since: Nov 22, 2006
  8. creacom

creacom UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,338 35
    Dave,

In the interest of the forum, if you have a problem please contact one of the mods to inform them. We do try to pm everyone when their post is deleted but sometimes its just not possible.

In your case, I have read through the post right now and I think it is quite clear why one of us decided to delete the post. Your comments could be classed as offensive/racist and that kind of speech is not allowed on UKBF.

This is not a place where you can just get away with saying anything that you feel like, regardless of other people. Maybe that is what you class as freedom of speech. I personally class that as arrogance. We have to look after the interests of every user.

Jacqui

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: creacom Member since: Oct 11, 2005
  9. Tin

Tin Just an SEO Staff Member

5,942 1,647
    Seconded!

Ray

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  10. openmind

openmind UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,750 864
    Holy cow! :eek:

I didn't see the thread but if that was the statement I'm glad it got binned and you should count yourself lucky you're not being banned.

Oh and for the record, I'm 1/4 Indian, I've got a bit of Irish in me and remainder is British. Counts me out of the football team then really....

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: openmind Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  11. Chris H

Chris H UKBF Newcomer Free Member

685 38
    You could be more British than you think! What if your 1/4 Indian part was actually 1/4 british as well? Quite often when race and 'englishness' is talked about undeclared assumptions are made that our non-english parts are themselves pure.

Anyways, agree with you about the 'luck'!

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Chris H Member since: Oct 12, 2006
  12. ken_uk

ken_uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,224 242
    If the thread broke one of the forum terms, then deletion is fine, and if it was racist, then you probably already knew why it was deleted without the need for a explanation.

I didnt read the thread, not that into football or cricket, so no idea what was said in full. But, perhaps a interesting question, if your interested in the cultural makeup of the British sports teams is to whether the teams in the other countries you were refering to actually allow other races in them, or not.
    If they do, then its fair we do... If not, then we seem more culturally open than they do. I have no idea if they do or they dont...

Personally, if they dont, I would find it acceptable to complain that we do, as they should not want to play in our team, if we cant play in theirs (under similar circumstances but different locations etc) - if that makes sense.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: ken_uk Member since: Jul 27, 2007
  13. Hayles

Hayles UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,672 11

Thirded

H

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Hayles Member since: Nov 5, 2005
  14. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    Hi Dave,

I deleted the thread. I posted to it saying I was deleting it because it was deliberatley inflammatory. I assumed all participants would have got an email telling them the post had been updated.

Whilst you're welcome to your opinions, this is a business forum, not a place to say whatever you like on whatever subject you like. Especially if it's going to lead to a lot of additional work for moderators.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  15. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    The Irish bit could be dodgy ;) :D

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  16. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    well if you want to practise free speech down at "the old bull and bush" on a friday night,I suggest you take a good supply of raw steaks.

Earl

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  17. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,515 4,450
    Hello Rainman, you at it again mate????

Luving your posts......That is the ones that are around long enough to actually get read!!!!
    ;)

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  18. PI Guy

PI Guy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,495 191
    If that indeed was what was said then Duane was quite right to delete it. This is a business forum and not a platform for blatant prejudice. Why not set up a box by Hyde Park Corner?

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 By: PI Guy Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  19. stephendoyle

stephendoyle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

657 41
    RayB and I replied to original post and i got that feeling that it wouldnt hang about - what i find jaw dropping is that he questioned it!

regards
    steve doyle

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  20. multilingual

multilingual UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,656 4
    I also replied to it, making the point that we are crap with a mixed race team, so we would be even more crap (crapper?) by limiting our options even further.

Getting rid of Ferdinand, Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole is not exactly the best way to boost our team's chances.

Personally, I think Dave was just very tired and annoyed and was letting off a bit of steam after the poor result. I don't believe he intended it to be racist, but that's how it came across. It was certainly controversial to say the least.

JB

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 By: multilingual Member since: Sep 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.