Food/drink trading at music festivals

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by InsaneBoarder234, Jan 17, 2010.

1. antpal

antpal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 6
    Hi Forever,

Well, start up costs depend on what you're doing really, and what equipment you'll be needing to buy. My original business plan forecasted startup costs of around £12k, and i've gone about £3k over, with no help from my bank or investors.

With regards to the pitch prices - camping pitches are (ive found) nominally cheaper, maybe about 1k cheaper at the larger festivals. For main arena pitches, this year i was offered Isle of Wight festival (£6800), V festival (£5900) and Leeds festival (£6000).
    Taking into account stock etc i'd need to be budgeting around £11k per event.
    These are main arena pitches, and with campsites being not much cheaper and having no security (well not as much as the main arenas) i'd rather take the main arena.

Hope this helps

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: antpal Member since: Mar 12, 2011
  2. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,113 3,369
    It's probably deer.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  3. antpal

18 6
    :D:D:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,113 3,369
    Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  5. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,420 595
    You weren't the guy who came by our tent selling vodka jellies were you?? ;)

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  6. Foreverdreaming

Foreverdreaming UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Thank you for your help, How long have you been doing festivals and has it been worth it? Can you make enough money for the year? Which festivals did you do first? Sorry for all the questions. So I am thinking of doing a simple 24hr breakfast stall so the location is key, great to here it is cheaper!

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: Foreverdreaming Member since: Jun 23, 2011
  7. antpal

18 6
    hi,
    I launched last year, and this year i guess is the first proper year of trade and bookings.
    The breakfast stall sounds a good idea, although you will find a lot of general stalls (such as tea/coffee trailers) already do this kind of thing - so you'll definately need a strong USP.

We've just come off a small festival, which was a total disaster - we were told 5k minimum would be in attendance, and on the day there we're 800!! To make matters worse, speaking to the gate security they said the attendace with higher than last year!!!
    So, be very carefull with the smaller events - do your homework on everything you try and book!

8. Foreverdreaming

Foreverdreaming UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Thank you again very helpful, I do have a good usp ( I think) could I possibly PM you later this eve to see what you think? Should get back to the daily grind job now :)
    Thx again

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: Foreverdreaming Member since: Jun 23, 2011
  9. antpal

18 6
    Sure, PM me, always happy to share some of the experience! :)

10. ccyy

ccyy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi antpal,

Thanks for you post, very helpful. How easy/hard was the application process? Was this the first time you'd applied?

Posted: Jul 5, 2011 By: ccyy Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  11. Michael Ibiza

Michael Ibiza UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    How di you get on with your business?

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 By: Michael Ibiza Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  12. spicepk

spicepk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi pureindulgence, I'm new to this site but have thought about trading food at festivals, indian-nepalese and jamaican to be specific.
    Any chance you have knowledge about which festivals could be profitable and the procedures for applying etc?

Kindest regards

spicepk

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 By: spicepk Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  13. pureindulgence

pureindulgence UKBF Newcomer Free Member

91 12
    I usually look at a site like this one.

http://www.thefestivalcalendar.co.uk/
    or this http://www.folkandroots.co.uk/festivals.html

Go to each festival, contact details then email, or telephone and ask who is dealing with food vendor applications. Be prepared to go round and round in circles, and you will need to plan ahead in plenty of time.

I am hoping to get a website up to give this type of information to save traders lots of time, just trying to figure out how to make it pay!

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 By: pureindulgence Member since: Apr 28, 2010
  14. spicepk

spicepk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thank you for that, looks i'll be making lots of phone calls next week!

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 By: spicepk Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  15. Kris 283

Kris 283 UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 2
    Hi if you interested in buying product which sale a lot on festivals let me know.i have disposable toothbrushes which i was selling on festivals .unfortunately i can t go this year and i m more than happy to sell some of my stock .Even if you selling food product my toothbrush will go well with it .you looking at selling around 1000 over festival at 1 £ each ! Contact me if you interested .
    These toothbrushes does not need water basically you open a pack and brush simple as that paste is already in the brush .

Posted: Jul 15, 2011 By: Kris 283 Member since: Sep 10, 2008
  16. nzt48

nzt48 UKBF Contributor Free Member

81 17
    This deserves more recognition! lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    Posted: Jul 15, 2011 By: nzt48 Member since: Jul 12, 2011
  17. elisabethtyrala

elisabethtyrala UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi, I'm looking to go into business with a hog roaster and want to know how much I should sell a simple roll with apple sauce for at a festival? Any ideas anyone? As I don't really go to festivals I have no idea about pricing!
    Also has anyone seen anything really funky regarding hog roasters/bbq's etc thats not your normal roll and apple sauce?

Thank you

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 By: elisabethtyrala Member since: Jul 29, 2011
  18. Michael Ibiza

Michael Ibiza UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

I to have some ideas, can you call me on 07768871884

Michael

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 By: Michael Ibiza Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  19. pathosolives

pathosolives UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    If still interested in attending festivals, you can contact me. we are importers of continental foods in the UK and maybe we can tie up something together
    thanks
    pathos olives.

Posted: Aug 8, 2011 By: pathosolives Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  20. seasideblues

seasideblues UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    hi all,we are also thinking of going into event/festival catering,but not sure what to sell food wise..we have thought of several usp,ie jumbuck pies,cornish pasties ( real ones from newquay ) or do we go down the burger route.

went to one show last week the guy doing steak burgers was selling all time,the jacket potato trailer empty,any help would be good

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 By: seasideblues Member since: Sep 2, 2011