Following more than 2000 followers on Twitter

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by ethical PR, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,055 1,542
    Hello

Does anyone know what you need to do to be able to follow more than 2000 on your Twitter account?

At the moment, I have about 1500 followers and would like to be able to follow more than the 2000. However, Twitter puts a block on you doing so for the majority of accounts and won't say what you need to do, to enable you to follow more.

I have already gone through those I follow and deleted any that aren't active/relevant.

I tweet fairly regularly, retweet and comment on other people's tweets.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

@ethical_PR

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    Posted: Jun 8, 2011 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Pocket Money Designs

Pocket Money Designs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

258 48
    Once you reach the 2000 people follow limit you can only follow around 10% more than are following you. So you need to get 1800ish followers before you can start following more people. It is to prevent spammers bulk following and unfollowing... @PM_Designs

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    Posted: Jun 8, 2011 By: Pocket Money Designs Member since: Sep 4, 2010
  3. ethical PR

7,055 1,542
    Hello

Just to clarify, are you saying once you want to follow more than 2000, you can only ever have a 10% differential between how many are following you and the number of people you follow?

Posted: Jun 8, 2011 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  4. Pocket Money Designs

258 48
    That's correct

Posted: Jun 8, 2011 By: Pocket Money Designs Member since: Sep 4, 2010
  5. wecandobiz

wecandobiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,187 279
    The Twitter Help centre on this is here.

Out of interest, why are you following 2000 people?

Posted: Jun 9, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  6. ethical PR

7,055 1,542
    I have tried to be quite strategic in terms of who I follow;

Working in PR, I follow quite a few individual journalists, politicans, PR people, think-tanks, along with various media.

I follow organisations relevant to the sectors in which I work and those that I have met or work with.

I also follow some that are just of interest to me personally, such as around what's going on in London, food and travel related tweets.

I do regularly review those I follow to ensure their tweets are of interest and that they are active.

Do you have a particular approach around those you follow?

Posted: Jun 9, 2011 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  7. ethical PR

7,055 1,542
    Ian

Thanks for the link to Twitter's advice on followers. I had already looked at it and unfortunately, it isn't terribly specific. Hence why I came on the forum for advice. It says;

"Additional limits if you are following 2000 or more people:
    In addition, every user can follow 2000 people total. Once you’ve followed 2000 users, there are limits to the number of additional users you can follow: this limit is different for every user and is based on your ratio of followers to following".

Pocket Money Designs
    Could you let me know where you found the information around the 10% differential as being standard? As Twitter's advice is that it's specific to the user?

Helen

Posted: Jun 9, 2011 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  8. wecandobiz

1,187 279
    Same as you, kind of, in overall strategy at least. But I find some people are more interesting than others, so I have a Tweetdeck column called... ahem... "Interesting" to which I add those folk I wish to ensure I see every tweet. This list needs to be in the tens rather than the thousands for that to work, but it works well.

Posted: Jun 9, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  9. Pocket Money Designs

258 48
    Try here....

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 By: Pocket Money Designs Member since: Sep 4, 2010
  10. thetime22

thetime22 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

894 114
    It's all about the ratios. The more people that follow you the more you can follow.

Posted: Jun 13, 2011 By: thetime22 Member since: Dec 7, 2010
  11. webstore

webstore UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

702 106
    Maybe the answer would be to have a second Twitter account with a different profile on your PR business. Needless to say you will need a 2nd email address.

Tweetdeck.com (part of Twitter) and Hootsuite.com both support multiple Twitter accounts and likewise when we signed up to LinkedIn yesterday that allowed about 6 Twitter accounts to be listed (from memory).

We don't think there's anything in Twitter T&Cs saying you can't have more than one Twitter account albeit we stand to be corrected on this.

|

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 By: webstore Member since: Nov 7, 2010
  12. wecandobiz

1,187 279
    Correct, you can have multiple Twitter accounts and nothing prohibits that. We have about 40 in total, although most of those are just fed with content from our site and used to keep people in the loop.

I advocate having a personal account and a company account though, because company Tweets are subject to the rules of the ASA, whereas personal Tweets needn't be.

I also encourage people to start an "independent" Twitter account fo rtheir industry which Tweets general industry news with the occasional bit of self promotion (again, subject to the ASA).

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 By: wecandobiz Member since: Apr 11, 2008
  13. Packshot Creative

Packshot Creative UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 1
    the 10% rule is correct. There are various pieces of software - some free - which can help you manage the constant following/unfollow process. DM if you want to know more.

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 By: Packshot Creative Member since: Jun 8, 2011
  14. excelweb

excelweb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 3
    I can get you 500 additional followers to help overcome the 2k follow block? Pm me!

Posted: Jul 5, 2011 By: excelweb Member since: Jul 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.