First time SA...vehicle/fuel advice please

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Mrs Malapup, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs Malapup

Mrs Malapup Contributor

306 3
    This is my first full year and I am going to try and do my own SA. The problem is that for the first 3 months Jan - Apr 08 I have an accountant and I just provided her with all my business receipts, fuel reciepts and repairs, tax, mot etc. For those first three months she didnt produce any accounts...just did my assessment form. Now that I have taken it over myself I have come accross my first problem of how to claim for my van and fuel costs. I have rung the Inland Revenue and they were not very forthcoming about how my accountant did it previously but 'implied' that she must have done it on the 40p per mile method. I didnt give her any mileage readings so I dont see how she can have done it on that.....and if she had, how am I supposed to continue if I dont know the mileage? Also I have spent a lot on the van this year but not done much mileage so I am thinking that the other method (whatever that is) might be better, but the revenue guy said I couldnt change to the other method so I am stuck.....cant do the 40p method cos I dont know the mileage and cant do the other cos I dont know what it is or they wont let me change! Any advice to help straighten my head out here would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 By: Mrs Malapup Member since: Sep 4, 2006
  2. elainec100@cheapaccounting

[email protected] Contributor

13,267 2,882
    As a suggestion - why not ask your previous accountant. She should be able to tell you very easily.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 By: [email protected] Member since: Nov 4, 2005
  3. Mrs Malapup

Mrs Malapup Contributor

306 3
    Ah yes thanks I should have said I have emailed her....but she notoriously takes weeks to get back to me so I thought Id do some resarch in the meantime :)

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 By: Mrs Malapup Member since: Sep 4, 2006
  4. elainec100@cheapaccounting

[email protected] Contributor

13,267 2,882
    I think she will need to provide the answer for you. Ringing could be much quicker as this is a very quick question to answer - if you did the return that is :p

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 By: [email protected] Member since: Nov 4, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.