First time importing from China. Hidden extras

Discussion in 'International Business' started by MrJLC, Jun 12, 2020.

1. MrJLC

MrJLC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Do FFs usually factor in any insurance to the quote when doing FOB?

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 By: MrJLC Member since: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

335 134
    Depends. It's not really expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  3. Ian Howard

Ian Howard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Some venders can offer the door to door service, it's a good way to save your time.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 By: Ian Howard Member since: Sep 11, 2020
  4. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,477 1,176
    Most of my deliveries are air freight but even then things rarely stay static. DHL are running three systems. They phone you up from China and tell you a shipment needs paying - the usual tax/duty/handling. They also do it here, when it arrives, and you need to pay to get it delivered, or they deliver it and you get the invoice a couple of weeks later. Very difficult to plan and monitor. If it comes via sea then again, how it gets to you is variable. Vat usually charged as the consignment passed to the forwarder.

I'm intrigued by the notion of a contract. For values up to a couple of grand I've never had anything vaguely like a proper contract. Just an alibaba cashier request which I pay. For my equipment it's also very common for them to use the wrong description and even photograph when they input the request for billing. I order vehicle mounted radios and get a picture of walkie talkies!

I've noticed in the past few weeks old suppliers trying to get PayPal as a payment type rather than paying alibaba, which is not ideal if there's a problem, but I think alibaba may have increased charges to them?

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,993 205
    best of luck with this. I have imported stuff in the distant past and have started doing it now for a retail business. I always shyed away from getting stuff that's too heavy and low value because the cost of storage and transportation would eat too much into the profit margin. Plus I live in London where space is a premium. I always imported stuff that I could store in a small box, small things that are worth a lot for the little space they occupy.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  6. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

370 79
    Pls keep in mind that recently, the shipping cost keeps rising, so, do a clear calculation for landed price because you place a big order.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 2:59 AM By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  7. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,477 1,176
    I started keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of orders coming from China with order date, dispatch date, the tracking numbers and carrier if known, and it makes no sense. Size, carrier, weight, date of the tracking number the deliveries come completely randomly. Some leave the supplier, arrive at the point of export and sit there for three weeks, then some show as left the country, but suddenly arrive here when tracking shows them still in china, while others show their progress in great detail, but then suddenly stall in europe. One yesterday that arrived turned out to be the second order and had leap-frogged the first one that is somewhere.

Getting DHL 'pay the import charges' notices are completely random, and DHL, the best and quickest I think, now has three totally different systems, as I mentioned - it's very easy to discover a delay because you didn't notice one is sitting waiting for a charge to be paid.

Slowest is always anything eventually delivered by Royal Mail this end. I don't think it's actually RM, but whatever system gets it to them. China Post was quite reliable but slow, but with prices going up they're sending things by services I've never heard of. It really is a gamble.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 7:47 AM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015